News
Improve security protocols at health facilities to protect patients, staff

Calls for adequate security systems to make health facilities safer and secured for patients and visitors have intensified over the saga of a stolen baby that rocked the Mamprobi Polyclinic on Tuesday.
The call, spearheaded by the Minister of Gender, Children and Social Protection, Agnes Naa Momo Lartey, is believed to offer a cure to such incidents in future, and also protect patients, especially vulnerable new-borns from harm.
Dr Naa Momo Lartey and other Members of Parliament rushed to the facility on Wednesday when news broke that the missing baby had been found and the suspected woman that took the baby arrested.
The incident was said to have occurred on Tuesday, February 17, shortly after the mother delivered via a caesarean section.
The alleged abduction triggered panic among hospital staff and patients, prompting swift action by authorities and the police.
Addressing the media after reconciling baby with mother, Dr Naa Momo Lartey stated that the incident highlighted the importance of robust measures in health facilities to promote the safety of patients and staff.
She pledged that her ministry will work closely with the Ministry of Health and other relevant stakeholders to review and strengthen existing security protocols to ensure that the incident was not repeated.
Speaking to the media, Madam Precious Ankomah, the mother of the ‘lost but found’ baby said she was still in shock.
Narrating her ordeal, Madam Ankomah stated that the suspect disguised herself as a nurse and took the new-born under the pretext of administering medication.
She said after sometime, she decided to step out to check on the baby and met a nurse who enquired about the baby and said she was coming to them.
“That was when I felt there was something wrong and I quickly raised an alarm, drawing staff and visitors and family members to the scene,” she stated.
As of press time, the police confirmed reports of the arrest of the woman, Laifatu Salifu, in the centre of the theft storm and she was assisting with investigation to unravel the mystery around the whole incident.
By Linda Abrefi Wadie
Join our WhatsApp Channel now!
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbBElzjInlqHhl1aTU27

News
Ghana moves to preserve Nkrumah’s legacy as forgotten historic sites face decay
A deserted house overlooking the Gambaga Escarpment in northern Ghana once served as a strategic rest stop for Kwame Nkrumah during the country’s struggle for independence.
From the elevated site in what is now the North East Region, Ghana’s first president could survey vast stretches of the surrounding terrain, a position that offered both security and advantage at a time of political uncertainty.
The structure now stands in disrepair; its walls cracked and roof partially collapsed, and its history largely absent from public record. Yet the remote outpost remains one of the few surviving physical traces of Nkrumah’s movements within Ghana before his overthrow in 1966 and subsequent exile, offering a little-known glimpse into the domestic geography of a leader more often remembered through speeches, monuments, and international diplomacy.
It is against this backdrop that a major decision by the government of Ghana, announced last week, takes on deeper meaning.
On the instructions of President John Dramani Mahama, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has initiated negotiations with the family of Guinea’s first president, Ahmed Sékou Touré, to allow Ghana take possession of the house where Dr Nkrumah lived and worked as Co-President of Guinea in his final years.
The announcement, conveyed by Foreign Affairs Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, followed a high-level visit led by Vice President Prof. Jane Naana Opoku-Agyemang to Conakry.
The aim, according to the ministry, was to renovate and preserve the residence not only as a mark of respect, but as a way of allowing visitors to trace Nkrumah’s extraordinary life from Ghana to Guinea, from leadership to exile, from power to Pan-African persistence.
It is a landmark decision, and a commendable one.
According to history, in Guinea, Nkrumah found more than refuge after the 1966 coup that overthrew his government. President Sékou Touré welcomed him as a brother, granting him the rare title of Co-President. Though physically removed from Ghana, Nkrumah continued to write, organise, and advocate for African unity until his death in 1972.
Preserving that home
One of the deserted buildings preserves a vital chapter of Africa’s political history—one that reminds the world that ideas do not end in exile.
Yet as Ghana looks outward to reclaim this chapter of its past, it is worth pausing to look inward.
Long before Conakry, there was Nakpanduri.
Situated along the Gambaga Scarp, the Nakpanduri rest house was deliberately positioned on high ground, away from major settlements. During the volatile years of the independence struggle and early nationhood, it served as a secure retreat for Nkrumah and his family—a place of protection, reflection, and strategy.
The North’s terrain offered both concealment and command, qualities essential in an era when political survival was far from guaranteed. In this sense, Nakpanduri is not merely a historical footnote; it is evidence of the risks Nkrumah lived with and the lengths to which the independence movement went to safeguard its leader.
Today, however, the site has been reduced to a ruin. Despite its proximity to other natural attractions along the Gambaga Scarp and its potential role in cultural and eco-tourism, it remains neglected, often described in reports as a “white elephant.”
The contrast with the decisive action now being taken in Guinea is striking.
This is not an argument against the preservation of Nkrumah’s residence in exile. On the contrary, the Vice President’s engagement with the Sékou Touré family, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ commitment to transparency and expert-led conservation, signal a welcome seriousness about heritage preservation.
If Ghana is prepared to restore and preserve Nkrumah’s home beyond its borders, then the historic places that sheltered him within Ghana deserve no less attention. Sites like Nakpanduri are integral to the national story, particularly in regions whose contributions to independence are too often overlooked.
Preserving these spaces would do more than honour memory. It would expand heritage tourism beyond traditional centres, bring economic opportunity to underserved areas, and offer future generations a fuller understanding of how Ghana was built not only in conference halls and capitals, but in remote sanctuaries and quiet strongholds.
Taken together, Nkrumah’s resting places in Ghana and his residence in Guinea form a continuous geographic narrative of African leadership. From the hilltops of the North East Region to the seashore of Conakry, his life unfolded across borders, shaped by both danger and solidarity.
The government’s initiative in Guinea opens the door to a broader vision—a coherent Nkrumah heritage trail that allows citizens and visitors alike to follow the arc of a man whose ideas helped shape a continent.
As a Ghanaian and a photographer, standing among the ruins at Nakpanduri, one cannot escape a simple truth: seeing history here and in other spaces needs documentation and preservation. When those places are allowed to disappear, so too does our connection to the past.
But many of the spaces that protected him, inspired him, and sustained him are still here. They are waiting to be seen.
By Geoffrey Buta
Join our WhatsApp Channel now!
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbBElzjInlqHhl1aTU27

News
UMA supports AngloGold Ashanti Health Foundation

IN a significant boost to local healthcare delivery, Underground Mining Alliance (UMA) has presented three modern vein finders to the AngloGold Ashanti Health Foundation (AGAHF) in Obuasi. The donation forms part of UMA’s ongoing commitment to supporting the health and wellbeing of the communities in which it operates.
A vein finder is a high-tech medical device that uses infrared technology to map peripheral veins on the skin’s surface, significantly improving the accuracy of blood draws and IV insertions—particularly for children, the elderly, and patients requiring frequent intravenous access, such as those at the sickle cell unit.
Mr Oscar Van Ehen, UMA’s Operations Manager for Ghana, speaking at the presentation, said the company views its presence in Ghana not merely as a business venture, but as a partnership with the people.
“Supporting the AGA Health Foundation allows us to touch lives beyond the mine. We are proud to provide equipment that enhances the comfort and care of patients,” he stated.
Dr Bernice Kyerewaa Karikari Apawu, a Paediatric Specialist at AGA Health Foundation, who received the items, expressed appreciation, describing the donation as timely. She said the devices would significantly reduce the distress often associated with “difficult sticks” during clinical procedures, thereby improving the overall patient experience at the facility.
This gesture reinforces the collaborative spirit between UMA and healthcare providers in Obuasi. By equipping the AGA Health Foundation with advanced medical technology, UMA is helping to ensure that the community continues to access modern, efficient, and patient-centred healthcare services.
The total cost involved in the procurement of the three vein finders is Fifty Thousand Ghana Cedis (GH¢50,000.00).
-GNA





