Connect with us

Hot!

Three jailed 60 years for car robbery

Published

on

An Accra Circuit Court has sentenced three persons to 20 years imprisonment each for robbing a taxi driver of his vehicle at Airport Residential Area, Accra.

The Convicts were said to have held Eric Appiah’s (the complainant) neck and assaulted him mercilessly until he fell unconscious, tied him up with a robe and they bolted with the taxi.

Yaw Asamoah, a 43-year-old labourer, Yaw Appiah, a 27-year-old phone repairer, and John Chinedu, were found guilty on the charges of conspiracy to commit crime namely robbery and robbery.

The Court presided over by Mrs Evelyn Asamoah sentenced the three accused persons to 15 years imprisonment on the charge of conspiracy to commit crime namely robbery.

Advertisement

On the charge of robbery, the accused are to serve 20 years each. Sentences will however run concurrently.

Charles Oduro, aka Ayensu, a building contractor who was in the dock with the convicts, was however acquitted and discharged.

Prosecuting Police Chief Inspector Emmanuel Haligah said the complainants were Policemen stationed at the Regional Police headquarters, Accra.

Accused persons reside at Shaishie and Madina in Accra respectively.

Advertisement

Police Chief Inspector Haligah said on January 30, last year, the Accra Regional CID operation team received information that the accused persons had robbed a taxi driver of his Toyota Vitz car with registration number GW 9145-19 and were going to sell same to someone at Dansoman.

Prosecution said the Police team trailed the said car and intercepted it at Dansoman roundabout, heading towards the Carl Reindolf Park.

According to prosecution, Asamoah, Appiah, Chinedu and one other identified later as Shortman, tried to escape on seeing the Police; got out of the car and took to their heels.

Prosecution said the convicts were arrested by the Police and Shortman who was then driving the stolen car, was shot in an attempt to arrest him.

Advertisement

Chief Haligah said Shortman were rushed to the Police Hospital for treatment but he was later pronounced dead.

During interrogation, prosecution said the three convicts mentioned one Ayensu and Danso as those who gave them the vehicle at Teshie on January, 30, last year at about 1:00am to be given to a buyer at Dansoman.

The prosecutor said the three convicts failed to assist the Police to arrest one Ayensu and Danso.

Prosecution said investigation caution statements were taken from them.

Advertisement

However, prosecution said on February 3, last year, Ayensu was arrested and he denied having handed over the car to the three convicts.

Prosecution said a police wireless message was sent to all stations about the retrieval of the Toyota Vitz with registration number GW 9145- 19.

On February 8, last year, Eric Appiah a taxi driver together with an investigator from Airport Police came to the Regional CID, Accra and Eric Appiah identified the vehicle as his.

Prosecution said investigations revealed that the three convicts and one Shortman, now deceased on January 29, last year at about 11:30 pm hired the taxi driver to take them to the Old Chinese Embassy located at Airport Residential Area.

Advertisement

The Prosecutor said on reaching a spot near the Old Chinese Embassy, the convicts asked the driver to stop.

Accused alighted and Shortman pretended to be paying Eric Appiah the fare, but suddenly one of the convicts held Eric Appiah’s neck and assaulted him mercilessly until he fell unconscious, tied him up with a robe and bolted with the taxi. -GNA

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Hot!

Education Minister outlines plan for free schooling for learners with special needs

Published

on

Education Minister Haruna Iddrissu has announced that government is working to make education free for all learners with special needs, with funding expected to come from GETFund.

He shared the plan during a press briefing with the media.

According to him, an initial estimate shows that the policy will require between 65 million and 100 million cedis every year.

He noted that GETFund currently has a budget of 9 million cedis, and with proper adjustments, it should be possible for the fund to release about 100 million cedis every other year to support the policy.

Advertisement

Mr Iddrissu added that government is also committed to providing free tertiary education for all persons with disabilities.

He explained that the support will go beyond classroom learning and will include feeding and the provision of assistive learning devices for learners with special needs.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Entertainment

Prophet Joseph Atarah releases new video

Published

on

Prophet Joseph Atarah
Joseph Atarah

Ghana’s singing Prophet, Joseph Atarah, has released a video for his new song dubbed ‘Increase’. The video was directed and shot by renowned director, Sky Web.

The motivational video exhibits captivating dance moves, set against the vibrant and beautiful city of Accra. Prophet Atarah co-wrote the song with Nana Boateng.

Touching on the message during an interview on Hitz FM’s Daybreak Hitz, he said, ‘Increase’ is a motivational song telling people not to give up in their present situation. According to him, with determination and a relentless desire to succeed, God will make everything beautiful.

“As you trust in God’s plan, remember that ‘INCREASE’ is on the way. Just as seeds grow into harvest, your faith is growing into abundance. God’s got you, and His increase is surrounding you,” he added.

Advertisement

Prophet Atarah resigned from the military band in 2006 after an encounter with God to start his prophetic ministry and commenced his music journey about four years ago.

By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme

Join our WhatsApp Channel now!
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbBElzjInlqHhl1aTU27

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending