Connect with us

Hot!

South African Tourism Celebrates BRICS Business Council’s 10-year anniversary

Published

on

Ahead of the BRICS Summit, which officially kicks off today to 24 August 2023, South African Tourism (SA Tourism) hosted delegates at the welcome event of the 10th Anniversary of the BRICS Business Council on Sunday afternoon.

The BRICS Business Council was established during the Fifth BRICS Summit held on 26th – 27th March 2013 in Durban, South Africa.

The objective of creating the council was to constitute a platform that promotes and strengthens business, trade, and investment ties amongst the business communities of the five BRICS countries.

It was also formed to ensure that there is regular dialogue between the business communities of the BRICS nations and the governments of the BRICS countries. This year, therefore, South African Tourism, along with the BRICS Business Council, is celebrating a decade of cooperation and partnership.

“Over the years, we have seen growing enthusiasm for travel among the people of BRICS countries. We can all agree that tourism serves as a bridge that connects cultures and opens avenues of dialogue that transcend language barriers and political boundaries. Tourism is also a contributor to economic growth. Tourism is a force that unites people in their pursuit of discovery, adventure, and shared experiences. Therefore, tourism has a profound impact on strengthening bilateral relations,” said Nomasonto Ndlovu, Acting CEO of South African Tourism speaking at the welcome event,

Advertisement

“South Africa was the birthplace of the BRICS Business Council and we brought together our respective business communities with the objective of creating a platform to strengthen business, trade, investment ties, travel and connections amongst business communities across the borders of our respective countries”, BRICS Business Council Chairperson, Ms. Busi Mabuza said.

In highlighting South Africa’s essence through arts, culture, and storytelling, the guests had the pleasure of enjoying a performance by Lebo Mashile, an award-winning poet, author, presenter, actress, and producer.

The globally-acclaimed Ndlovu Youth Choir delivered a captivating performance that brought South Africa’s spirit to the stage with a harmonious fusion of talent, culture, resonant voices and vibrant rhythms that echo the nation’s heartbeat.

“Hosting events such as the BRICS Summit showcases South Africa’s hosting capacity and capability and contributes to our tourism sector recovery. Through MICE [Meetings Incentives Conferences and Exhibitions] events such as the BRICS Summit, we are enhancing collaboration, spurring economic growth, and deepening cross-cultural exchanges among our various nations. Of course, in the process, we stimulate innovation and drive progress that extends far beyond borders. I invite you to explore our many MICE facilities and venues not only here in Gauteng but the rest of South Africa too,” Ndlovu added.

Advertisement

Attending the event were the big business minds and captains of the tourism industry whom Ndlovu encouraged to not only attend the meetings as part of the BRICS summit but to also take time to explore beyond the summit’s corridors.

South African Tourism also brought the sustainability village to the event. Designed to support and boost emerging local businesses, the sustainability village is a collection of vendors selling authentically and uniquely South African arts and crafts and fashion items. It offered the guests an opportunity to shop and buy items thus symbolically taking a piece of South Africa back home with them.

Between January and June 2023, South Africa welcomed 9 118 tourists from Brazil up by 60.3% when compared to the same period in 2022. South Africa received 13 806 tourists from Russia up by 146.3% when compared to January to June 2022. The country welcomed 41 668 Indian tourists up by 82.5 % when compared to the same period last year and 16 290 Chinese tourists came to South Africa in the first half of 2023 marking a 266.9% increase when compared to the first half of 2022.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Hot!

UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

Published

on

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.

In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.

The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.

According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.

Advertisement

UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.

The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.

It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.

UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.

Advertisement

The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.

The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.

Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Hot!

NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

Published

on

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.

The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.

According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.

The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.

Advertisement

It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.

“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.

The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.

The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.

Advertisement

The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending