Connect with us

News

Obuasi Central gets new health facility

Published

on

• Ashanti Regional Minister, Simon Osei Mensah joined by MCE Elijah Adansi Bonah for commissioning.

Ashanti Regional Minister, Simon Osei Mensah joined by MCE Elijah Adansi
Bonah for commissioning.

 A GH¢1.6m two-storey health centre in the Obuasi Central of Ashanti has been commissioned.

It is to replace the defunct Jemi­ma Maternity Home which provided healthcare services to traders in the Obuasi Central business dis­trict and neighbouring areas.

It has an out-patient depart­ment, two consulting rooms, pharmacy, store, female, male and maternity wards, washrooms, laboratory, counselling unit, an office and a bedroom flat nurses accommodation, etc.

Advertisement
Obuosi Central health facility commissioning
Obuosi Central health facility commissioning

The project was constructed by the Obuasi Municipal Assem­bly with funds from the mineral royalties.

Speaking at the ceremony, Mr Simon Osei Mensah, Ashanti Regional Minister, commended the Obuasi Municipal Assembly for putting its share of the mineral royalties into productive use.

He said prior to 2017, the Ashanti Region was rated low in the pecking order in terms of national health infrastructure but due to the efforts of the gov­ernment, the region has witnessed a significant improvement in health facilities.

The Minister mentioned that the government has so far completed a number of health facilities it inherit­ed. These include the Konongo, Tepa, Bekwai, Fomena, Kumawu and Sawua hospitals.

Mr Mensah listed plethora of health facilities the government has initiated and completed, including the Amansie West, Drobonso and Suame Municipal Polyclinics as well as the Twedie and Ahafo Ano South, East hospitals.

Advertisement

He said the government, through various interventions in the health centre, has demonstrated its willing­ness to support the health care needs of the people to have a healthy society.

According to the Chief Executive of the Obuasi Municipal Assembly, Elijah Adansi-Bonah, the construc­tion of the health facility lends cre­dence to the Assembly’s judicious use of mineral royalties contrary to reports issued by the Centre for Democratic Development on the impact of gold mining royalties on development projects in some min­ing districts.

Mr Adansi-Bonah mentioned the Kokoteasua Experimental School building and Sanso nurses quarters as other projects that were funded through the Assembly’s share of the mineral royalties.

Mr Martin Safo Osei, the Munic­ipal Health Director, lauded the efforts of the Assembly in putting up the facility furnished with qual­ity equipment which would further enhance effective health care de­livery in the Obuasi Municipality.

Advertisement

 From Kingsley E.Hope, Obuasi

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Tain residents in shock as husband allegedly  kills wife, commits suicide

Published

on

Residents of Brodi, a farming community in the Tain District of the Bono Region, have been left in shock and mourning following the alleged murder of a 45-year-old woman by her husband, who later died by suicide. 

According to information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the suspect, popularly known as Kwabena Jack, believed to be in his 50s, allegedly attacked and killed his wife, Abena Donkor, while the couple were working on their farm on Monday, August 11, 2026. 

Mr Kingsley Obah, Assembly Member for the Brodi Electoral Area, confirmed the incident to the GNA. 

He explained that after news of the woman’s  death spread through the community, residents launched a search for the suspect. His lifeless body was later discovered in a nearby bush on Tuesday, August 12, 2026. 

Advertisement

Police have since conveyed both bodies to the Tain District Government Hospital, where they have been deposited for preservation and autopsy. 

Investigations into the incident are ongoing. -GNA 

Continue Reading

News

Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Published

on

Hawkers taken over the pedestrian walkway on the footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.

The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.

Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.

Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.

Advertisement

The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.

Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.

Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.

Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.

Advertisement

After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.

For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.

A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.

According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.

Advertisement

She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.

However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.

The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.

Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II  Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.

Advertisement

Continued on page 12

By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending