Connect with us

News

Gold Board places GH¢1 million bounty on suspected gold smugglers

Published

on

The Ghana Gold Board has announced a GH¢1 million bounty on each of four fugitives believed to be behind a major gold smuggling syndicate.

Chief Executive of the Board, Sammy Gyamfi, told journalists in Accra that the syndicate is the most elaborate uncovered since the Gold Board was established.

He said the suspects identified as Rafik Mohamed Nandoli, also known as “Salaam,” Indian national Afsar Puthalan, and two Ghanaians, Abdul Karim and Sadiq Abubakar played key roles in moving large quantities of gold out of the country illegally.

According to Mr. Gyamfi, the syndicate financed licensed traders and used couriers to buy gold in mining areas.

Advertisement

The gold was then transported to Accra, where it was smuggled across borders into Togo and other destinations.

He revealed that investigations showed that Rafmore Gold Limited, owned by Salaam, had bought over 100 kilograms of gold worth more than GH¢120 million between June and August 2025, even though the company was not licensed by the Gold Board.

The Chief Executive explained that the syndicate’s operations were uncovered following a tip-off in August this year.

On August 27, 2025, a courier, Abdul Razak, was arrested at Winneba Junction with three packs of gold weighing 8.5 kilograms, valued at about GH¢10.2 million at the time. Razak confessed to being recruited by his cousin, Abdul Karim, and admitted to transporting gold for just GH¢500 per trip.

Advertisement

Further investigations led to the arrest of a licensed trader, Bernard Nkrumah of NK Benak Enterprise, and a Chinese national, Arin Liao. The three were arraigned in court on 5th September 2025 and later granted bail with strict conditions.

Mr. Gyamfi confirmed that Rafmore Gold Limited and NK Benak Enterprise had since been shut down, and their licenses suspended.

He warned that any licensed gold dealer who sold gold without proper receipts, or to unapproved persons, would face suspension, fines, or criminal prosecution.

He stressed that the Board was determined to fight illegal gold trading without fear or favor, regardless of the individuals’ political connections or influence.

Advertisement

“We are working with Interpol and national security agencies to track the four suspects, who we believe are hiding in countries such as Côte d’Ivoire, Dubai, or Togo,” he said.

He urged the public to assist by providing credible information that could lead to the arrest of the fugitives, noting that hotlines had been provided for this purpose.

Mr. Gyamfi assured that the suspects already in custody would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, while the Board continues its efforts to protect Ghana’s gold resources from criminal networks.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement

Hot!

Sammy Awuku mourns demise of Akuapem North NDC Constituency Secretary Isaac Batsa

Published

on

Member of Parliament for Akuapem North, Sammy Awuku, has expressed deep sorrow following the sudden passing of Isaac Batsa, the constituency secretary for the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC).

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) lawmaker issued a statement on Tuesday reacting to the news, which has shocked the local political community.

Mr.Awuku praised the late NDC secretary for his bipartisan approach to local governance.

He noted that despite their different political affiliations, Batsa consistently rose above party lines to serve the constituency with diligence.

Advertisement

The MP revealed that the news was particularly shocking given that he had last interacted with Batsa just three days prior on Saturday.

Concluding his statement, Sammy Awuku extended his heartfelt condolences to Batsa’s family, the constituency and regional executives, and the entire NDC fraternity, wishing the deceased peaceful eternal rest.

By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

NPP petitions Diplomatic Corps over arrest of Abronye DC

Published

on

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has petitioned the Dean of the Diplomatic Corps to intervene in what it describes as the unlawful arrest and detention of the Bono Regional Chairman of the party, Kwame Baffoe, popularly known as Abronye DC.

Speaking during the presentation of the petition, NPP Member of Parliament, Jerry Ahmed Shaib accused the government led by John Dramani Mahama of promoting what he described as a “culture of silence.”

According to him, the continued detention of Abronye DC over a bailable offence was unacceptable and against the principles of justice.

He argued that keeping an accused person in custody until a matter is fully determined was not common practice in democratic states.

Advertisement

“It can only happen in a kangaroo or banana state,” he stated.

Mr. Shaib further alleged that state institutions were being influenced to intimidate political opponents.

He maintained that the criminal libel law had long been repealed in Ghana and questioned why individuals were allegedly being targeted over comments on national issues.

According to him, citizens should not be arrested simply for expressing views, including claims that power outages, popularly known as “dumsor,” had returned.

Advertisement

The lawmaker also accused the presiding judge in the matter of showing bias and claimed the court had failed to indicate when Abronye DC would reappear or be released.

He explained that the NPP deliberately chose a peaceful approach in presenting the petition to the diplomatic community instead of organising demonstrations.

Mr. Shaib noted that the delegation was acting on the instructions of the party leadership, including the Minority Leader, the General Secretary, the National Organiser, and former Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia.

He called on the diplomatic community and ambassadors in the country to engage the Ghanaian authorities and ensure that justice and human rights were upheld.

Advertisement

By: Jacob Aggrey

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending