Connect with us

News

Ghana grooming future diabetics …Health Experts warn

Published

on

Ghana is ‘grooming future diabetics’ as unhealthy eating habits, the growing consumption of ultra-processed foods and sugary drinks, and increasingly sedentary lifestyles continue to expose more children and young people to Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs), nutrition experts have warned.

The warning was issued at the Editors’ Forum on Mandatory Front-of-Pack Warning Food Labelling (FoPWL) Advocacy, organised by SEND Ghana and its partners in Accra.

Speaking at the forum, the President of the Ghana Association of Nutritionists and Diebetics, Rev. Prince Baidoo, said Ghana’s changing food environment was fuelling a rise in obesity, diabetes, hypertension, stroke and other diet-related diseases.

According to him, the country is undergoing a nutrition transition in which traditional diets are increasingly being replaced by highly processed foods rich in sugar, salt and unhealthy fats.

Advertisement

“Today’s food environment is creating tomorrow’s diabetes and hypertension cases,” he said, expressing concern about the growing consumption of sugary drinks and processed snacks among children.

Rev. Baidoo noted that while Ghana had made progress in tackling hunger and under nutrition, it was now facing a growing burden of diet-related diseases driven by poor eating habits and physical inactivity.

He attributed the trend to rapid urbanisation and changing lifestyles and lamented the gradual abandonment of traditional foods such as yam, cassava, cocoyam and millet-based meals in favour of processed alternatives.

The nutrition expert urged Ghanaians to consume more fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains while reducing their intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and ultra-processed foods.

Advertisement

Supporting the call for healthier food environments, Project Officer at SEND Ghana, Ms Baaba Sam, said Front-of-Pack Warning Labels would help consumers quickly identify foods high in sugar, salt and saturated fats.

She explained that the proposed labelling system is based on the World Health Organisation’s Nutrient Profile Model, which sets recommended limits for nutrients linked to chronic diseases.

Under the system, manufacturers whose products exceed the recommended thresholds would be required to display warning labels prominently on the front of packaging to alert consumers.

Ms Sam noted that although nutrition information is available on the back of most food packages, many consumers either overlook it or find it difficult to understand.

Advertisement

“The warning labels make it easier for consumers to quickly identify products that are high in sugar, salt or saturated fats and make informed decisions,” she said.

According to her, the measure would not only empower consumers to make healthier choices but also encourage manufacturers to reformulate products by reducing unhealthy ingredients.

Ms Sam disclosed that a draft Front-of-Pack Warning Food Labelling policy had already been developed through collaboration between the Ministry of Health, civil society organisations and other stakeholders and was currently undergoing technical review.

By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu

Advertisement

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Tain residents in shock as husband allegedly  kills wife, commits suicide

Published

on

Residents of Brodi, a farming community in the Tain District of the Bono Region, have been left in shock and mourning following the alleged murder of a 45-year-old woman by her husband, who later died by suicide. 

According to information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the suspect, popularly known as Kwabena Jack, believed to be in his 50s, allegedly attacked and killed his wife, Abena Donkor, while the couple were working on their farm on Monday, August 11, 2026. 

Mr Kingsley Obah, Assembly Member for the Brodi Electoral Area, confirmed the incident to the GNA. 

He explained that after news of the woman’s  death spread through the community, residents launched a search for the suspect. His lifeless body was later discovered in a nearby bush on Tuesday, August 12, 2026. 

Advertisement

Police have since conveyed both bodies to the Tain District Government Hospital, where they have been deposited for preservation and autopsy. 

Investigations into the incident are ongoing. -GNA 

Continue Reading

News

Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Published

on

Hawkers taken over the pedestrian walkway on the footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.

The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.

Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.

Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.

Advertisement

The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.

Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.

Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.

Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.

Advertisement

After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.

For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.

A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.

According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.

Advertisement

She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.

However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.

The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.

Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II  Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.

Advertisement

Continued on page 12

By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending