Connect with us

News

Daughter exposes father for defiling step-daughter

Published

on

The rate at which some fathers are accused of either engaging in sex with their biological daughters or step-daughters is quite alarming.

This abominable act is gaining currency in the country and should be nipped in the bud.

As of now, a 43-year-old unemployed, Mr. KwawErmerlehAgovi, a resident of Ofankor in Accra is being tried by the Accra Circuit Court “5” for allegedly defiling his eight-year-old step daughter.

The accused who mounted the dock on Monday charged with defilement contrary to section 101 (2) of Criminal Offences Act 1960, Act 29, however, denied the offence.

Advertisement

The Presiding Judge, Mrs. Christina Cann granted him GH¢60,000.00 bail with three sureties, two of whom should be Public or Civil Servants and earning not less than GH¢3,000.00 a month.

She adjourned the case to June 14, 2021, for Case Management Conference (CMC), but ordered the accused to stay away from the victim, who is presently staying with her aunty at Tantra Hill.

Paradoxically, it was an 18-year old biological daughter of the accused who reported the immoral conduct of her father to the Domestic Violence and Victim Support Unit (DOVVSU) of the Ghana Police Service at Tesano leading to his arrest.

Relating the circumstances or facts of the matter to the court, the prosecutor, Chief Inspector Kofi Atimbire, said that Mr. Agovi with his biological daughter and the step daughter (Victim) lived in a three-bedroom apartment but each had a separate room.

Advertisement

He said that the accused had been sneaking into the room of the eight-year-old victim anytime she was alone to have sex with her.

This, according to the prosecutor, became unbearable to the small girl until the complainant (accused’s daughter) saw her step sister crying at about 5:00am on April 24, 2021, and decided to find out the cause.

He said that the victim confided in the complainant that the accused had been engaging in sexual intercourse with her.

Chief Inspector Atimbire said that armed with this piece of information, the 18-year-old daughter of the accused devised means of monitoring her father to be cock sure that the allegation levelled against him was true or otherwise.

Advertisement

He told the court that in the course of monitoring, the complainant detected that her father (accused) had been sneaking into the victim’s room at night.

He said that on April 29, 2021, at about 12:00 midnight Mr. Agovi as usual, sneaked into the victim’s room, undressed himself and the victim, and was preparing to lie on her when the complainant rushed into the room and caught her father red handed.

The prosecutor said that the accused threatened to kill the

complainant if she revealed his conduct to either anyone or to the

Advertisement

police.

And for the fear of her father’s death threat, the complainant ran away from home and reported the issue to DOVVSU for action to be taken.

Chief Inspector Atimbire said that the accused was later arrested and put before court after police investigation and receipt of the victim’s medical report from the hospital.

The case continues on Monday, June 14, 2021.

Advertisement

By Castro Zangina-Tong

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Tain residents in shock as husband allegedly  kills wife, commits suicide

Published

on

Residents of Brodi, a farming community in the Tain District of the Bono Region, have been left in shock and mourning following the alleged murder of a 45-year-old woman by her husband, who later died by suicide. 

According to information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the suspect, popularly known as Kwabena Jack, believed to be in his 50s, allegedly attacked and killed his wife, Abena Donkor, while the couple were working on their farm on Monday, August 11, 2026. 

Mr Kingsley Obah, Assembly Member for the Brodi Electoral Area, confirmed the incident to the GNA. 

He explained that after news of the woman’s  death spread through the community, residents launched a search for the suspect. His lifeless body was later discovered in a nearby bush on Tuesday, August 12, 2026. 

Advertisement

Police have since conveyed both bodies to the Tain District Government Hospital, where they have been deposited for preservation and autopsy. 

Investigations into the incident are ongoing. -GNA 

Continue Reading

News

Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Published

on

Hawkers taken over the pedestrian walkway on the footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.

The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.

Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.

Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.

Advertisement

The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.

Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.

Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.

Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.

Advertisement

After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.

For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.

A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.

According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.

Advertisement

She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.

However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.

The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.

Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II  Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.

Advertisement

Continued on page 12

By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending