Hot!
Tourism is a hugely important sector to Ghana’s economy – Oppong Nkrumah

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/kojo-oppong-nkrumah.jpg&description=Tourism is a hugely important sector to Ghana’s economy – Oppong Nkrumah', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/kojo-oppong-nkrumah.jpg&description=Tourism is a hugely important sector to Ghana’s economy – Oppong Nkrumah', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
The Minister of Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, has highlighted the importance of the tourism, culture and creative industries to Ghana’s economy.
He told the press at an editors’ meeting on Monday, August 14, 2023 at the Accra City Hotel that despite all the funny nicknames previously given to the sector, it is one of the biggest contributors to the gross domestic product and foreign exchange of the country.
“You know we are in a country where everybody erroneously thinks the economy is equal to finance. But the economy is the end product of many things.
Then finance people do some fiscal policy, the Bank of Ghana people do some monetary policy but the real sector where roads and jobs come from lies in the hands of various other ministries,” he said.
Oppong Nkrumah also mentioned that numbers of the tourism, creative arts and hospitality sector makes it the third largest contributor to GDP in our country.
“This means that it is the third largest sector in our country where there is productive activity, people are finding jobs, where people find incomes and improve their own quality of lives.
If you look at it from the foreign exchange point of view, it is about the sector largest contributor to foreign exchange,” he stated. “It is a very, very, very important sector but until recently people used to call it the Ministry of Enjoyment.
That is one of those places where you attend some festivals and you invite some Black Americans to come to town. But is a hugely important sector for our economy,” he further noted.
The government of Ghana in the past years, has put together measures to make Ghana a preferred destination for tourists across the world.
The Beyond the Return initiative, through its December in GH activities, drives a lot of tourists into the country every year.
As part of the effort to make Ghana the biggest tourism destination in Africa, the government has announced that it is working towards attracting two million international arrivals that will result in a $4 billion spending impact by 2025.
Shoring up the strategies to make the set objectives more achievable, the Ministry also seeks to to work on the slave routes experience, crab villages, museums, among others.
According to the Chief Executive Officer of the Ghana Tourism Authority (GTA), Akwasi Agyeman, to improve nightlife in Accra, they are also rolling out interventions like the Kwame Nkrumah Park, Nationalism Park, and the Geese Park.
The Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture, Mohammed Awal, who was also present at the meeting said, next year, the government will be launching a project to solicit novel tourism ideas from young people.During his address at an editors’ forum, he said the initiative is aimed at imbuing the interest of tourism in the youth and encouraging them to come up with innovative business models for the sector.
“Next year we are going to launch a 100-million-cedi tourism enterprise project to encourage young people to give us projects on sustainable tourism,” he said. He also noted that next year, the ministry will be training 6,000 young people along the tourism value chain.
These people will include cooks, security, tour guides, among others. “One of our key problems in this country is customer care. I am sure when you go to the tourist sites even the Kwame Nkrumah Memorial park you don’t see people share a lot in terms of customers orientation,” he indicated.According to the minister, the most important thing in tourism is to get people to repeatedly visit places, a reason they are devising strategies to make tourist develop interest in frequently coming to Ghana.
For the creative sector, the government has promised to set up the Creative Arts Fund to support artistes, complete the theatre in Kumasi, and construct new theatres in Takoradi and Tamale.It also intends to establish, in partnership with the private sector, large recording studios in Accra, Kumasi, Tamale, and Takoradi. Recording artists can rent space to do the recordings in these studios.
As stated in the 2020 manifesto of the ruling New Patriotic Party, the government intends to build a digital platform for artists to make their products available to the global market
There is also a plan to construct one of the biggest convention and exhibition centres in the world at the Ghana Trade Fair Company site, La.
In the meantime, the construction of an Amphitheatre in Kumasi has commenced. It is hoped that the Legislative Instrument for the Development and Classification of Film Act will be passed to give assent to the Film Development Fund.
Source: Myjoyonline.com
Hot!
UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.
In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.
The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.
According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.
UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.
The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.
It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.
UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.
The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.
The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.
Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.
By: Jacob Aggrey
Hot!
NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.
The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.
According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.
The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.
It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.
“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.
The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.
The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.
The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.
By: Jacob Aggrey




