Connect with us

Hot!

160 students benefit from Newmont Akyem Development foundation 

Published

on

Janet Serwaa Setugah and her colleague operating a wielding machine at the AVTI 2

One hundred and sixty students of the Akyem Vocational and Technical Institute (AVTI) at New Abirem in the Eastern Region have benefitted from the Newmont Akyem Development Foundation (NAkDeF).

Janet Serwaa Setugah and her colleague operating a wielding machine at the AVTI
Janet Serwaa Setugah and her colleague operating a wielding machine at the AVTI

The aim was to provide the students with the necessary entrepreneurial skills that would make them self-suf­ficient and enable them to start their own businesses to employ others.

The training was oganised by Newmont Gold Corp Ghana in collab­oration with the German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ), an International enterprise, under its Akyem Skills Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development (A-SEED) programme.

The programme was to improve the unemployment situation of about 600 youth in the Akyem mines host com­munities, of which 35 per cent were females.

Advertisement

The 160 youth underwent technical and vocational training in differ­ent courses, including welding and fabrication, masonry, plumbing and electricals.

The Community Development Man­ager and Executive Secretary of the NAkDeF, Mr Paul Apenu, told the me­dia during a tour of the project that since the inception of the programme in 2022, about 256 students have so far been enrolled on the programme.

That, he said, would help to reduce the high unemployment rate in the area and the country as a whole. He revealed that a 35 per cent target has been allotted to females to encourage them to enrol on the vocational and technical training programme.

“We have strict standards in terms of ensuring equitable distribution between males and females. Our target is to get at least 35 per cent of female students within the communi­ties to enrol.

Advertisement

He noted that the women were encouraged to acquire vocational and technical skills to be self-employed in areas perceived to be male-domi­nated.

Mr Apenu advised the women to overcome such perceptions and take advantage of the opportunity offered them to acquire such skills to enable them get meaningful source of income that would make them self-sufficient.

He also mentioned the establish­ment of the Pempamsie Co-operative Credit Union as another component of the A-SEED programme, revealing that it currently had 2,629 mem­bers and has mobilised about GH¢20 million as well as given loans totalling GH¢3,7 million in disbursement to 497 members of which GH¢2.8miilion was repaid.

Mr Apenu indicated that all those interventions under the programme were to reduce unemployment in their host communities to help reduce poverty.

Advertisement

A student studying welding and fabrication at the AVTI, Janet Serwaa Setugah, encouraged females to enrol at the institute, and said that al­though the males were more in taking up such courses, she felt encouraged to sign onto the course.

Ms Setugah said it was fun to learn and hoped that at the end of the course she would set up her own garage.

She encouraged other women to also come on board to change the nar­rative that the area was male-domi­nated.  

From Ama Tekyiwaa Ampadu Agyeman, New Abirem

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Hot!

UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

Published

on

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.

In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.

The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.

According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.

Advertisement

UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.

The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.

It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.

UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.

Advertisement

The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.

The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.

Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Hot!

NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

Published

on

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.

The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.

According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.

The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.

Advertisement

It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.

“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.

The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.

The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.

Advertisement

The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending