Connect with us

Hot!

We’ll make e-levy more efficient to collect more – Minister in charge of Finance

Published

on

The Minister of State in charge of Finance and Economic Planning, Dr Mohammed Amin Adam Anta, has served notice government is seeking to enhance the Electronic Transaction Levy, popularly known as e-levy, to collect more from the public.

He says government has been disappointed with the performance of such an important tax.

As a result, efforts are going to be put into making it more efficient since it constitutes an import revenue source for government.

Dr Amin Adam, who is also the Member of Parliament for Karaga Constituency, made this known on Tuesday, August 1 while speaking in an interview on TV3‘s New Day.

Advertisement

“I think that e-levy is not doing as well as we wanted,” he conceded.

“As a result, in the mid-year budget [review], the e-levy projections have been revised down.”

But he insisted that online business has gained grounds worldwide and, so, revenues from such transactions have contributed a great deal to the development agenda of various governments.

“We need to be able to enhance the collection because it is a big opportunity out there.”

Advertisement

He, therefore, announced that “e-levy is going to be enhanced”.

“We will make it more efficient in order to collect more.”

He said the amendments to the Electronic Transfer Levy Act, Act 1089, affected the revenue expectations on electronic transactions as “Parliament reduced the rate and reduced the threshold”.

But the former Tamale mayor served notice all opportunities to make the e-levy generate more for government projects are being considered to achieve the objective of its introduction in 2021.

Advertisement

Credit: 3news.com

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Hot!

UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

Published

on

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.

In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.

The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.

According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.

Advertisement

UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.

The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.

It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.

UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.

Advertisement

The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.

The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.

Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Hot!

NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

Published

on

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.

The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.

According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.

The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.

Advertisement

It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.

“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.

The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.

The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.

Advertisement

The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending