News
Wee smokers invade Swedru Methodist Basic School … turn classrooms into hideouts, toilets

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2026/07/Nana-Efua-Esaaba.jpg&description=Wee smokers invade Swedru Methodist Basic School … turn classrooms into hideouts, toilets', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2026/07/Nana-Efua-Esaaba.jpg&description=Wee smokers invade Swedru Methodist Basic School … turn classrooms into hideouts, toilets', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
Nana Efua Esaaba, Headmistress of Agona Swedru Methodist Basic School, has appealed to old students, non-governmental organisations (NGOs), advocacy groups and citizens of Agonaman to support the school with metal doors and burglar-proof windows to protect its classrooms from intruders.
She said the intervention would help prevent suspected wee smokers and other miscreants from breaking into the school and using the classrooms as hideouts and places of convenience.
According to the Headmistress, the intruders had destroyed all the wooden classroom doors, removed window louvre blades and defecated in some of the classrooms.
Nana Esaaba told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in an interview that when she assumed office in 2022, she was confronted with the unpleasant situation of finding human faeces on teachers’ tables.
She said the situation had worsened over the years, adding that about a year after she took office, unknown persons cut electricity cables connected to high-tension poles near the school, plunging the school and its Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Centre into darkness.
The Headmistress said the suspects had also broken into her office and stolen government textbooks and other personal belongings, forcing her to permanently close one of the office windows to prevent further attacks.
She noted that louvre blades installed at the school’s science laboratory, constructed by the Rotary Club, had also been removed by the miscreants.
Nana Esaaba noted that the timely intervention of some passers-by about two weeks ago prevented suspected wee smokers from removing roofing sheets from one of the school buildings.
She explained that reports on the incidents had been submitted to the Agona West Municipal Directorate of the Ghana Education Service (GES) for onward transmission to the Central Regional Office and the GES Headquarters in Accra, but the school was yet to receive assistance.
Furthermore, the Headmistress said in an effort to protect the school’s property, she and her management team had engaged the services of a private security guard at their own expense, but the problem persisted.
She appealed to police patrol teams from the Agona West District and Divisional Commands to intensify day and night patrols around the school campus to deter criminal activities.
Nana Esaaba also appealed to the Agona West Municipal Assembly to support efforts to secure the school environment.
Moreover, she called for the provision of additional furniture for both teachers and pupils, citing an increase in the school’s population. –GNA
News
Education Ministry orders reinstatement of BOGISS student after alleged sexual abuse

The Ministry of Education has condemned the alleged sexual abuse of a 14-year-old student with autism at Bolgatanga Girls’ Senior High School (BOGISS) in the Upper East Region.
The ministry, in a statement issued on August 20, 2026, indicated that two watchmen employed by the school are alleged to have sexually abused the student.
It described the incident as unacceptable and stressed that schools must protect and care for students, particularly children who are vulnerable.
The ministry made it clear that the student cannot be blamed for the alleged abuse.
“The Ministry wishes to state unequivocally that a minor cannot be held responsible for sexual abuse perpetrated against her by an adult,” it stated.
The Minister for Education, Haruna Iddrisu, has directed the Ghana Education Service (GES) to investigate the matter and submit a report immediately.
He has directed the GES to ensure that the student receives the necessary medical care and counselling to support her recovery.
The ministry further directed that the student’s boarding status at BOGISS be restored immediately.
It assured the student’s family and the public that it would work to ensure that justice is served.
The ministry described the incident as an act of indiscipline and reaffirmed its commitment to protecting the safety, dignity and rights of students in schools across the country.
By: Jacob Aggrey
News
Nii Lante Vanderpuye apologises to Sammy Gyamfi and NDC over Channel One TV comments

Former Deputy Minister for Local Government and NDC aspiring national chairman, Nii Lante Vanderpuye has apologised to GoldBod Chief Executive Officer, Sammy Gyamfi, and the National Democratic Congress (NDC) over comments he made during a discussion on Channel one TV.
In a statement dated August 20, 2026, Mr Vanderpuye acknowledged that his comments during the programme did not properly communicate his intended position.
He explained that he had no intention of undermining Mr Gyamfi or supporting criticisms being directed at him and GoldBod by the opposition.
According to him, his intention was to defend the work of GoldBod and the efforts of its CEO, but he expressed himself in a way that created a different impression.
“For that error of judgement and communication, I am sincerely sorry,” Mr Vanderpuye stated.
He particularly apologised to Mr Gyamfi, describing him as a dedicated member of the NDC who has served the party with courage and commitment.
Mr Vanderpuye also apologised to the leadership, members and grassroots of the NDC who may have been disappointed or hurt by his comments.
He acknowledged that party members expect leaders and those seeking greater responsibility within the NDC to show solidarity, good judgement and loyalty, especially when members and institutions led by them face political attacks.
Mr Vanderpuye further stressed that he has spent a significant part of his political life supporting and fighting for the NDC, including during difficult personal and political periods.
He reaffirmed that the NDC remains his political home and that his loyalty and commitment to the party remain unwavering.
The issue started after the Minority in Parliament, led by Minority Leader Alexander Afenyo Markin, accused GoldBod CEO Sammy Gyamfi of being responsible for an alleged GH¢22 billion loss at the institution.
Mr Gyamfi later responded to the allegations during the government’s accountability series, defending GoldBod and its work.
However, during a discussion on channel one TV, Nii Lante Vanderpuye made some comments that were understood by some people as being critical of Mr Gyamfi and GoldBod.
His comments sparked concerns among some NDC supporters, leading him to apologise to Mr Gyamfi, the party leadership and its members.
By: Jacob Aggrey








