Hot!
We Shall Lead The Working Population To Resist Any IMF Restrictions – TUC

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/367897068_771052.jpg&description=We Shall Lead The Working Population To Resist Any IMF Restrictions – TUC', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/367897068_771052.jpg&description=We Shall Lead The Working Population To Resist Any IMF Restrictions – TUC', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
The Ghana Trades Union Congress (TUC) says it will resist any attempt by Government through an International Monetary Fund (IMF) sponsored programme to impose restrictions on sectors of the economy that will bring hardships to workers.
Dr Yaw Baah, Secretary General of the Congress, said: “TUC will lead the working people of Ghana to resist any attempts to impose hardships on workers and their families and the population as a whole.”
Speaking in a press conference on the topic “Cost of Living Allowance (CoLA) and the National Economic Situation,” he said IMF-sponsored programmes and policies had been completely divorced from reality and would only impose hardships on Ghanaians.
The Secretary-General said they were reminding the Government that as part of the negotiations for 2021 and 2022 base pay, they had agreed to four and seven percent pay increases respectively on the condition that the government would not declare redundancies.
“And that Government will continue to employ young people into the public service,” he said.
Dr Baah said they kicked against the Government going to IMF bailout 17 times because they had mentioned that one of the main challenges in the management of the economy had to do with corruption.
He said others were the failure on the part of successive governments to transform the structure of the economy to allow Ghanaians ‘to produce what we eat and eat what we produce.’
Organised Labour, led by the TUC reached an agreement with Government for a 15 per cent CoLA for all workers on the Single Spine Salary Structure (SSSS), effective July 1, 2022.
Meanwhile, Dr Yaw Baah said, the struggle for good standard of living was not over because the cost-of-living crisis was not over as inflation had hit 29.8 per cent and there were no signs that it would decline soon.
He said young people, educated at great costs to their parents and the nation, were struggling to get jobs that would be commensurate with their levels of education and skills.
“The national economic outlook remains grim, and we relish in the glory of not only securing a lifeline for struggling workers but also avoiding a potential disaster on the labour scene.
Source: GNA
Hot!
UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.
In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.
The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.
According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.
UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.
The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.
It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.
UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.
The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.
The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.
Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.
By: Jacob Aggrey
Hot!
NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.
The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.
According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.
The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.
It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.
“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.
The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.
The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.
The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.
By: Jacob Aggrey




