Connect with us

Hot!

Unhappy MTN customers besiege office

Published

on

Some upset customers whose SIM cards and Momo accounts have been blocked since Thursday besiege the MTN office at Darkumam Junction in Accra.

They said they could not access any of the services of MTN and were worried.

This comes after Mrs Ursula Owusu-Ekuful, Minister of Communications, announced that all unregistered SIM cards will be deactivated by November 30, 2022.

A total of 18.9 million (18,930,664) SIM Cards have been fully registered as of October 4, 2022, in accordance with the SIM Registration directives and the process, which commenced on October 1, 2021.
Some customers failed to meet the deadline, which was extended twice.

Advertisement

At 9 am when the Ghana News Agency (GNA) visited the MTN office, it was crowded with customers demanding for it to be opened to them by the workers who had locked themselves in since they arrived to work.

A customer, who pleaded anonymity, alleged that some of the customers had been at the office as early as 1 am hours in the morning but the workers walked past them and entered the office.

She said some of the workers came out later and asked them to form a queue so they could attend to them but the customers refused because they suspected mischief.

“If it was not for mischief they would have opened the office before 9 am but it is over 10 am and they have not opened the office,” she said.

Advertisement

Another young customer said some of the workers who had come out today told them that nothing could be done about the blocked SiMs at that moment.

A police officer, who the GNA learned was detailed there, tried to control the crowd until another one who said he was from the headquarters when he addressed the crowd, arrived.

One of the workers came out to talk to the customers and assured them that they would attend to those who wanted to obtain new SIM cards but issues of blocked SIMs would be dealt with on Monday, December 5, because the network was poor.

After the announcement, the policemen ensured that the customers were in a queue to be attended to.

Advertisement

SIM card registration is part of measures to reduce SIM-related fraud in the country. -GNA

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Hot!

State closes case in missing US$2M ‘Sky Train’ matter

Published

on

The prosecution has officially rested its case in The Republic v Solomon Asamoah & Another, the high-profile legal battle commonly referred to as the “Sky Train” case.

The Deputy Attorney General Justice Srem Sai announced the development, praising the state’s team of hard-working prosecutors for successfully anchoring the state’s evidence before the High Court.

The criminal trial centers on the former Chief Executive Officer and the former Board Chairman of the Ghana Infrastructure Investment Fund (GIIF).

The duo stands accused of illegally authorizing and paying out US$2 million to a foreign company without obtaining board directives or other mandatory statutory approvals.

Advertisement

State investigators have confirmed that the disbursed millions cannot be found.

Following the closure of the prosecution’s case, the accused persons moved the court for an opportunity to file a submission of no case.

The presiding judge granted the application, ordering the defense to submit their arguments by June 8.

The outcome of the June 8 filings will decide the fate of the trial:

Advertisement

With this, if the judge finds the defense’s submission convincing, the accused will be acquitted and discharged however, If the judge dismisses the submission, the court will order the accused officials to take the stand and explain why they should not face prison sentences.

By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme

Continue Reading

Hot!

Sammy Awuku mourns demise of Akuapem North NDC Constituency Secretary Isaac Batsa

Published

on

Member of Parliament for Akuapem North, Sammy Awuku, has expressed deep sorrow following the sudden passing of Isaac Batsa, the constituency secretary for the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC).

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) lawmaker issued a statement on Tuesday reacting to the news, which has shocked the local political community.

Mr.Awuku praised the late NDC secretary for his bipartisan approach to local governance.

He noted that despite their different political affiliations, Batsa consistently rose above party lines to serve the constituency with diligence.

Advertisement

The MP revealed that the news was particularly shocking given that he had last interacted with Batsa just three days prior on Saturday.

Concluding his statement, Sammy Awuku extended his heartfelt condolences to Batsa’s family, the constituency and regional executives, and the entire NDC fraternity, wishing the deceased peaceful eternal rest.

By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending