Sports
The biggest moment is now – Black Stars ready for World Cup opener – Ati-Zigi

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2026/06/WhatsApp-Image-2026-06-10-at-17.36.24.jpeg&description=The biggest moment is now – Black Stars ready for World Cup opener – Ati-Zigi', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2026/06/WhatsApp-Image-2026-06-10-at-17.36.24.jpeg&description=The biggest moment is now – Black Stars ready for World Cup opener – Ati-Zigi', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
Ghana goalkeeper Lawrence Ati-Zigi says the Black Stars are very ready and focused on teamwork as they wrap up preparations in Virginia ahead of their 2026 FIFA World Cup opener against Panama on Tuesday.
The St. Gallen shot-stopper, who is set to represent Ghana at his second successive FIFA World Cup, shared his thoughts with ghanafa.org from the team’s training base at the D.C. United training ground.
Here is what he had to say:
On preparations so far It’s been a great experience. You can see all the guys are very ready and we’ve trained very well. We’ve given our best and we’re looking forward to this moment.
On Coach Carlos Queiroz He’s a very experienced coach. He has a lot of information. We just have to take the good information he gives us and try to make use of it. The expectation is teamwork. We’re going to fight to the end. We’re going to give it all and we hope that we’ll make Ghanaians proud.
On the group I think it’s really a good group. We’re all together. We fight for each other. You can see there’s really positive vibes each and every time. This is what we like and this is what we want to keep up. We want to take this positive energy into the games. We hope that we can have a very good World Cup.
On playing at another World Cup As a kid, everyone dreams of playing on this big platform. For me, it’s actually a big dream because you get to face big players. You get the atmosphere, a lot of people in the stadium, the support, the love. It’s really a good experience for me and I’m really looking forward to it. I think it comes down to dedication to the game.
On players’ mindset They have to have a positive mindset because it gets to a point when things aren’t going well. I think that’s when we need this winning mentality and winning spirit. I think they just need this to help the team achieve better goals.
On nerves ahead of the first match Nervous? I don’t think that’s the word because I feel there’s good team spirit. This shows that everyone is ready and everyone is looking forward to it. Like I said, it’s a dream to be here so everyone is ready to live it.
On the strength of the team The strength is fighting for each other and being there as a team. Playing as a team and not just as individuals. The strength is you can see everyone is fighting for each other. We support each other and we help each other by encouraging the young ones to keep going and to always give their best. These are moments that happen in football where you have bad moments and sometimes you don’t qualify. For us, the biggest moment is now.
On previous tournaments We put whatever has happened behind us and we try to focus on this World Cup. Hopefully, we can make very good use of it. For me, it’s not about the names. Everything depends on us. We focus on ourselves and, like I said, we’re giving ourselves good energy. We train well and this is what we’re really focused on.
On approach to Ghana’s group matches We’re just going to take it game by game. Hopefully, we analyse it and see how it goes. We know it hasn’t been easy in the past days, but we’re just going to give our all. We’re asking for their support and their prayers, like always. They should also stay positive. Hopefully, we’re going to make them proud.
Sports
Who speaks for GBF?

Nearly nine months in office as executive of the Ghana Boxing Federation (GBF), the Dauda Fuseini-led administration is yet to make an important appointment to fill a key position-Public Relations Officer.
It is, therefore, worth examining how the executive has managed to navigate several storms without an official Public Relations Officer (PRO) to communicate its side of stories to the public.
What this mean is that nature has a way of filling such vacuums. They do not stay as such for long.
That is exactly what is happening at the GBF with controversies that followed another poor performance by the Ghana amateur boxing team, the Black Bombers or generally, Team Ghana at the Glasgow 2026 Commonwealth Games.
The controversy followed questions about the criteria for selection of boxers into the national team- that exercise should surely rest on the shoulders of the Head Coach of the team; in this case Coach Ofori Asare.
In instances where there are technical teams in place, the Head Coach would be required to conduct the exercise with members of the team.
But when the Black Bombers perform poorly and the Head Coach claims he has no idea about how the boxers were selected, certainly it leaves doubts in the mind of followers and stakeholders as to what is happening at Dauda Fuseini’s GBF.
Without a response from the GBF, a PRO from the previous administration filled that vacuum; stepping into the role with vim and vigour but with whose authority or permission, it has not been established.
This former PRO may have assumed the role out of his love and passion for the sport. Across both radio and television, he did his advocacy for the GBF until his status was questioned by the legendary broadcaster Fiifi Banson on Sporty FM.
“Are you a member of the GBF?” was the first question by the broadcaster.
And his response was “No, I’ve been a communicator for the Federation officially from 2020, and I’m still doing advocacy for them.”
“But you’re not a member of the GBF?” was the next.
Again, he responded in the negative, explaining that “I’m not an elected member of the GBF. I was appointed in 2020 with an official letter as their communicator and I’ve been doing that since 2020.”
The next question was: “Do they recognise you as their official communications person?
“Of course, the president and I communicate and he has not told me anything otherwise,” was his answer.
One would therefore ask why a ‘boxing advocate’ should be subjected to this kind of cross-examination.
The answer is simple; it is because Dauda Fuseini has failed to make an appointment to fill that void since he ascended the GBF throne in December 2025.
This must be brought to his attention because the office of the PRO is one that should not be taken for granted.
If the issues of the GBF are left to ordinary boxing aficionados, they would end up causing more harm than good to the GBF.
And maybe, with an official spokesperson in place, the federation can issue a comprehensive statement addressing preparation and selection of boxers to the Games and whether indeed Coach Asare was involved or not.
By Andrew Nortey
Sports
GTF president presents citations to GOC, NSA bosses

The Ghana Taekwondo Federation (GTF) on Tuesday presented citations to the president of the Ghana Olympic Committee (GOC), Mr Richard Akpokavie and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the National Sports Authority (NSA) Mr Yaw Ampofo Ankrah.
The gesture, according to Mr Frederick Lartey Otu, was to appreciate the support the federation had enjoyed from them over the years.
Especially to him were the advice and supervision the two entities offered in the build-up and during the GTF’s Elective Congress held on July 18.
Presenting the citation, Mr Lartey Otu thanked Mr Akpokavie and Mr Yaw Ampofo Ankrah for the special interest shown by the GOC and the NSA to ensure that the election went smoothly.
“We had a very fair and peaceful election. It may not have been possible without the roles you played. The process was very transparent, thanks to what you did for us.”
According to Mr Lartey Otu, special requests were made to the GOC and NSA to select representatives to constitute an election and vetting committee to make the exercise very transparent.
He said the GTF would continue to work closely with the two agencies responsible for sports development and promotion and continue to solicit their support in the bid to develop Taekwondo across all the regions of Ghana.
Responding on behalf of the GOC President, the Secretary General of the GOC, Mr Mohammed Kassim, thanked Mr Lartey Otu for the gesture.
“This is certainly not a presentation to the GOC President alone. We see it as a reward for our team work. That is how federations are supposed to work. It will ensure unity among the hierarchy,” he said.
Mr Kassim urged the new GTF executive to remain focused on their mandate and work hard to realise the dream for which they sought the help of delegate to assume office.
On his part, Mr Yaw Ampofo Ankrah, on behalf of the NSA thanked the GTF boss for the gesture.
He commended the peaceful manner the election was held and hoped that other federations would take useful lessons to better the process.
“The GTF showed a great deal of maturity and respect during the election. That is what we expect to see at the other federations. I want to urge you to build a succession plan to make your transition processes easier,” he stated.
Mr Ankrah pledges the NSA’s support in implementing their plans and programmes ahead of other impending major competitions.
BY ANDREW NORTEY






