Hot!
Stop using our brand to market substandard drugs …COA President warns

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/Prof-Samuel-Ato-Duncan.jpg&description=Stop using our brand to market substandard drugs …COA President warns', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2024/05/Prof-Samuel-Ato-Duncan.jpg&description=Stop using our brand to market substandard drugs …COA President warns', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
Prof Samuel Ato Duncan
The President General of COA Research and Manufacturing Company, producers of COA Mixture, Prof Samuel Ato Duncan has warned alternative drug producers to desist from using the COA brand to market their medicines.
Addressing the press on Tuesday, Prof. Duncan said there had been a worrying trend where some herbal medicine producers deceive the public by associating their product to the COA brand.
The development, he said, was an affront to the practice and threatened to seek legal action if they do not stop.
He added that, “the COA formula is unique and confidential. I am the only one with the formula and even my wife and children do not have; so there is nothing on the market like COA.”
“Those imitating the drug and presenting it as the same as COA are warned. We have consulted the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) and if it continues, the laws would catch up with them,” he added.
The company, he said, was committed to the wellbeing of Ghanaians and also complement government’s efforts of providing quality healthcare to citizens.
“The wellbeing of humanity is our priority, hence we try to give the best to the public and do not want any unwanted attention,” he stressed.
Since 2006, he mentioned that the company has not changed the prices of any of its three products currently on the market, the COA Mixture, COA Plus Mixture and COA MT.
“We have carefully and scientifically produced the mixtures with millions of dollars invested since we are interested in producing to meet international standard,” he added.
He said, the company was committed to price stability while prioritising the health of Ghanaians across the country.
COA Mixture, he reiterated, was mainly a supplement and immune booster which support the general well-being of people and does not cure diseases like, cancers, kidney diseases and HIV/AIDS as sometimes misconstrued.
“COA mixtures are not registered for cures. Their purpose is your well-being and not replace traditional medical treatment for serious illness,” he explained.
“Plant-based medicine is the future of healthcare and we are committed to making Ghana a global hub for alternative natural medicine,” he stated.
On her part, the First Deputy Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of COA, Princess Duncan also advised the public to be wary of substandard drugs paraded to be similar to COA.
“We have built our company with integrity and have a strong reputation when it comes to trust. We assure customers that we are working to address the issues and guarantee their safety,” she added.
By Michael D. Abayateye
Hot!
UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.
In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.
The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.
According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.
UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.
The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.
It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.
UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.
The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.
The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.
Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.
By: Jacob Aggrey
Hot!
NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.
The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.
According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.
The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.
It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.
“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.
The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.
The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.
The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.
By: Jacob Aggrey




