Connect with us

Hot!

Missing Titanic sub search in critical phase amid fears over oxygen levels

Published

on

The huge search for a missing submersible vessel near the wreck of the Titanic has entered a critical stage, as fears mount over the oxygen levels that may be on board.

If the sub is still functional and intact, it may only have low levels of oxygen left based on earlier estimates.

It went missing in a remote area of the North Atlantic on Sunday with a four-day oxygen supply for its crew of five.

And on Thursday many questions remained over how it could be recovered.

The minivan-sized submersible, which was owned and operated by the private company OceanGate Expeditions, is yet to be located. If it is found, it will need to be reached by complex rescue equipment and then brought to the surface in an operation that would likely take hours.

Advertisement

That would need to happen before the oxygen supply runs out and without damaging its structure or endangering those on board.

The condition of the vessel and its crew of five is unknown, but the US Coast Guard said the operation remains a rescue mission. “This is a search-and-rescue mission, 100%,” Captain Jamie Frederick told reporters on Wednesday.

There appeared to be a glimmer of hope after officials said undersea noises had been detected by Canadian search planes on Tuesday and Wednesday.

But it is still unclear what these were, and officials said they may not have come from the submersible. Remote-controlled underwater search vehicles (ROVs) were deployed to the area where the sounds were detected but are yet to find anything.

One of the ROVs, deployed from the Canadian vessel Horizon Arctic, reached the ocean floor early Thursday morning. Several more were expected to arrive at the site later in the day, along with more multi-national support.

A French research ship, the Atalante, also arrived in the area on Thursday morning and deployed its own ROV, the US Coast Guard said. That robot is capable of researching depths below the Titanic wreck, which lies about 12,500 ft (3,810m) below the surface, and has experience of surveying the Titanic.

Advertisement

The overall area of sea being scoured is about 26,000 sq km (10,000 sq miles), twice the size of the US state of Connecticut. The area is prone to stormy conditions and poor visibility which makes search operations more challenging, experts say.

On board the 21-foot vessel is British businessman Hamish Harding, British-Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman, former French navy diver Paul-Henry Nargeolet and the CEO of OceanGate – which operates the submersible – Stockton Rush.

“One of the factors that makes it hard to predict how much oxygen is left is that we do not know the rate of the consumption of oxygen per occupant on the sub,” Rear Admiral John Mauger from the US Coast Guard told the BBC.

Dr Ken LeDez, a hyperbaric medicine expert at Memorial University in St John’s, Newfoundland, told the BBC it was possible the crew could survive even as oxygen supplies dwindle, depending on the crew’s fitness and the conditions in the submersible.

Advertisement

While it is impossible to know the exact conditions inside, Dr LeDez said the crew will likely be facing increasing levels of carbon dioxide and could also be dealing with cold temperatures, along with the declining levels of oxygen.

A combination of these factors could lead to hypothermia and a loss of consciousness, he said. But these conditions aren’t necessarily deadly and their metabolisms slowing down because of the cold could help them survive longer, he added.

“They’re very smart… very accomplished people in there,” he said. “If anybody can survive” in it, “it’s these individuals.”

source :BBC

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Hot!

UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

Published

on

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.

In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.

The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.

According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.

Advertisement

UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.

The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.

It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.

UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.

Advertisement

The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.

The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.

Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Hot!

NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

Published

on

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.

The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.

According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.

The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.

Advertisement

It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.

“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.

The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.

The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.

Advertisement

The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending