Connect with us

News

Asamoah Gyan opens up on depression struggles following ambassadorial appointment

Published

on

Former Black Stars captain Asamoah Gyan has revealed that he battled depression about a year ago as he was officially outdoored as Brand Ambassador for Ghana’s national teams and colts football.

Speaking at the unveiling ceremony on the yesterday, May 20, 2026 in Accra , Gyan described the occasion as emotional and admitted he nearly broke down in tears while addressing guests.

In his new role, the former striker is expected to help promote Ghana’s national teams, support grassroots and colts football development, inspire young talents and help project a positive image of Ghana football locally and internationally.

According to him, he went through personal difficulties that affected him mentally and forced him to stay away from social media for some time.

Advertisement

Gyan disclosed that his situation changed after a conversation with Kurt Okraku, President of the Ghana Football Association.

He said Kurt Okraku encouraged him not to give up because there was still a lot of work to be done for Ghana football, especially at the grassroots level.

“He told me we have a lot of things to do when it comes to grassroots football and that I have been an inspiration to the youth and Ghana,” Gyan stated.

The former Sunderland striker explained that the encouragement helped him regain focus and motivated him to continue contributing to football development in the country.

Advertisement

Gyan also paid tribute to his former coach, Mr. J.E Sarpong affectionately called Shakpiru, who discovered his talent during his days at Accra Academy.

He described himself as a product of colts football and stressed the need to revive grassroots football in Ghana.

The former striker recalled playing colts football alongside former Black Stars captain Stephen Appiah and several players from his generation.

According to Gyan, the ambassadorial role was first proposed to him about a year ago because of his contribution to Ghana football and his connection to grassroots development.

Advertisement

“As I stand here tonight, I’m ready,” he said.

The event was attended by football administrators, former players and other stakeholders in Ghana football.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement

News

Chiefs, residents urge Ga East MCE to act over Dakobi River encroachment

Published

on

The Ga East Chiefs Association and residents within the Ga East Municipality have appealed to the Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) to urgently intervene in the growing encroachment and destruction of the Dakobi River by private developers.

According to the chiefs and community leaders, ongoing housing developments and the filling of portions of the river body are creating serious environmental and safety risks that could lead to a major disaster if immediate action is not taken.

They described the situation as a “ticking time bomb” that threatens thousands of lives and properties within the Municipality.

The traditional authorities explained that the activities of some private developers have weakened parts of the road corridor around the Dakobi area and are gradually affecting the stability of the Dakobi River bridge.

They warned that the bridge is beginning to sink, creating danger for motorists and residents who use the route daily.

Advertisement

The chiefs noted that the Dakobi River serves as one of the major natural water collection points in the Municipality, receiving large volumes of rainwater from the Akuapem South mountain range.

However, they indicated that illegal encroachment and indiscriminate filling of the river course have reduced the river’s capacity to contain floodwaters.

According to them, communities such as Pantang, Abokobi, Agbogba, Nyamekrom and Teiman, which previously did not experience flooding, are now recording severe floods anytime heavy rains occur.

They explained that the floods have destroyed homes, displaced families, damaged roads and caused the loss of properties worth millions of Ghana cedis.

Advertisement

The traditional authorities further cautioned that the situation could develop into a humanitarian and environmental crisis, especially as the rainy season intensifies.

They pointed out that the Dakobi River serves as a boundary between the Ga East Municipal Assembly and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly, making the issue a matter that requires collaboration between both assemblies.

The chiefs and residents are therefore calling on government agencies, environmental authorities, engineers, town planners, the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) and security agencies to immediately stop all illegal developments along the river.

They are demanding the demolition of unauthorized structures, dredging of the river and restoration of the waterway to prevent further flooding and possible loss of lives.

Advertisement

Residents stressed that failure by authorities to act quickly could expose innocent people to avoidable floods, collapsing infrastructure and other tragedies.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Continue Reading

News

Over 800 Ghanaians register for evacuation from South Africa amid xenophobic attacks

Published

on

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has announced that more than 800 Ghanaians in South Africa have registered to be evacuated following the recent wave of xenophobic attacks in the country.

According to the Ministry, the evacuation exercise, which was scheduled to begin on May 21, 2026, has been postponed for a few days to allow authorities to complete the necessary legal and logistical processes required by South African authorities.

In a press release issued in Accra on Thursday, the Ministry explained that the large number of people seeking evacuation requires extensive coordination between Ghanaian and South African institutions.

The statement noted that mandatory passenger screening, flight permits and other legal conditions in South Africa must be completed before the evacuation can begin.

Advertisement

It added that officials from both Ghana and South Africa are currently engaging to ensure a smoother and more efficient evacuation process.

The Ministry indicated that both countries have agreed on enhanced pre-evacuation arrangements to speed up the exercise and ensure the safe return of Ghanaian nationals.

According to the statement, senior government officials on both sides remain actively involved in discussions surrounding the evacuation.

The Government of Ghana assured Ghanaians living in South Africa that every effort is being made to guarantee their safety and return home safely.

Advertisement

The Ministry also commended the affected Ghanaians for their patience and understanding during the process.

It further assured the public that updates on the evacuation exercise would continue to be communicated in a transparent and timely manner.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending