Hot!
Mid-Year Budget: We are implementing raft of policy measures to reset economy – Government

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/FB_IMG_1689867623057.jpg&description=Mid-Year Budget: We are implementing raft of policy measures to reset economy – Government', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/FB_IMG_1689867623057.jpg&description=Mid-Year Budget: We are implementing raft of policy measures to reset economy – Government', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
Government has reassured that it is implementing a raft of policy measures approved by Parliament in the 2023 Budget to reset the economy.
According to a Deputy Minister of Finance, Abena Osei-Asare, the International Monetary Fund – Economic Credit Facility programme is never a panacea.
Speaking at the Deloitte Ghana 2023 Mid-Year Budget Breakfast Meeting on the theme “Positioning for Sustainable Recovery, Ghana’s Outlook Post-IMF Deal”, she said despite the relative stability the government has achieved, it is mindful of the lingering risks.
“Let me assure this gathering that these are the questions and issues that have preoccupied the attention of government and the Ministry of Finance. We have made clear the fact that the IMF-ECF programme is never a panacea. We are intent on implementing the raft of policy measures that were approved by Parliament in the 2023 Budget to rest the economy.”
On July 14, 2023, government announced the exchange of about ¢7.93 billion of securities held through the Ghana COCOBOD and about $809 million dollar-denominated domestic bonds and notes.
The Deputy Finance Minister reiterated the government’s position that these measures are to secure sustainable debt levels and move economic growth forward, adding, “We have taken this painful and difficult pathway because we know the alternative is simply unthinkable”.
Mid-Year Budget to drive stability, growth
Based on the immediate impact of the interventions of the last seven months, Mrs. Osei-Asare said the government continues to re-assess the tools and the options for economic recovery and revitalization.
“As a step forward, we intend to use the opportunity of the Mid-Year Budget to be presented next week to drive stability and growth”, she stressed.
According to her, the focus will be on revenue enhancement through both administrative and compliance measures, fiscal consolidation and structural measures that are outlined in the Post Covid-19 Programme for Economic Growth (PC-PEG) which is supported by the IMF.
She added that Ghanaians can expect the Mid-Year Review provides an update on the implementation of the 2023 Budget so far, a focus on structural reforms to address structural weaknesses and build resilience, rejuvenate the growth agenda towards a more prioritized growth strategy and safeguard social protection for the vulnerable.
“Government is aware that these interventions will be critical to the future of our country and people”, she concluded.
Source: Myjoyonline.com
Hot!
UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.
In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.
The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.
According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.
UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.
The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.
It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.
UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.
The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.
The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.
Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.
By: Jacob Aggrey
Hot!
NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.
The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.
According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.
The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.
It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.
“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.
The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.
The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.
The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.
By: Jacob Aggrey




