Connect with us

Sports

Women’s World Cup unites the world …on iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge

Published

on

• 4,000 football-loving fans joined a festival of football on the Sydney Harbour Bridge

4,000 football-loving fansjoined a festival of football on the Sydney Harbour Bridge

The iconic Sydney Harbour Bridge on Gadigal land was transformed into a festival of football last week in a celebration of culture, bringing together diverse peo­ple and communities to mark the 25-day countdown until the FIFA Women’s World Cup Australia & New Zealand 2023 tournament.

Amidst the sparkling back­drop of the Sydney Harbour, 4,000 fans kicked-off festivities on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and took part in this once in a lifetime opportunity for the FIFA Women’s World Cup ‘Unity Celebration’.

Hosted by former Australia international and FIFA Women in Football Leadership partic­ipant, Amy Duggan, soaking up the buzzing festival atmo­sphere were grassroots football and multicultural communities, local and international football greats including FIFA Legend Joy Fawcett, NSW Minister for Jobs and Tourism, John Graham, representatives from co-host Member Associations Football Australia and New Zealand Football, as well as FIFA officials.

Advertisement

Several of the tournament’s Beyond Greatness Champions were also in attendance, and they helped to carry the flags of the 32 nations preparing to compete on the international stage.

Eager to celebrate the tournament and the talented players who will represent the very best of women’s football, fans gathered on the world-re­nowned landmark to hear a preview of the tournament’s official song, dance to the tournament’s ‘Unity Beat’, and view live cultural performanc­es and presentations.

Representing the tourna­ments’ Beyond Greatness™ slogan and distinctive cultural elements, the 17-metre-tall Unity Jersey was unveiled in spectacular fashion on the Syd­ney Harbour Bridge. The Unity Jersey design reflects the vi­brant local landscapes and rich colours of the two host coun­tries, building a palette based on the rainforests, earth, mountains, cities, and water. A radial motif featuring 32 co­lourful squares celebrates the 32 participating nations coming together, serving as a visual testament to the spirit, values and diversity that defines the sport and tournament.

Speaking at the event, FIFA Council Member, Johanna Wood, said: “What a fabulous morning of football, culture and community coming to­gether – a fitting stage to set the scene for what is to come in 25 days. We are committed to delivering an exceptional tournament and experience that will not only captivate the hearts and minds of football fans but also empower women in sport across the globe. We are ready to go Beyond Great­ness and football, once again, has demonstrated how it unites the world.”

Advertisement

NSW Minister for Jobs and Tourism, John Graham, said: “Today we stand on one of Australia’s iconic structures, excited to host the world’s best players and their passion­ate football fans in NSW. I am excited to have 11 matches scheduled here in NSW and welcoming all the world class football teams and their fans at what is set to be the biggest FIFA Women’s World Cup ever.

“This tournament has the potential to be one of the big­gest sporting events in Sydney since the 2000 Olympics and the NSW Government is happy to support the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023,” he conclud­ed.

The FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023 will run from July 20 to August 20, 2023 across five Australian host cities: Sydney/Gadigal, Melbourne/ Naarm, Brisbane/Meaanjin, Adelaide/Tarntanya and Perth/ Boorloo and four New Zea­land host cities, Auckland/ Tāmaki Makaurau, Hamilton/ Kirikiriroa, Dunedin/Ōtepoti and Wellington/Te Whanganui-a-Tara. — FIFA.com

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Sports

Who speaks for GBF?

Published

on

Alhaji Dauda Fuseini

Nearly nine months in office as executive of the Ghana Boxing Federation (GBF), the Dauda Fuseini-led administration is yet to make an important appointment to fill a key position-Public Relations Officer.

It is, therefore, worth examining how the executive has managed to navigate several storms without an official Public Relations Officer (PRO) to communicate its side of stories to the public.

What this mean is that nature has a way of filling such vacuums. They do not stay as such for long.

That is exactly what is happening at the GBF with controversies that followed another poor performance by the Ghana amateur boxing team, the Black Bombers or generally, Team Ghana at the Glasgow 2026 Commonwealth Games.

Advertisement

The controversy followed questions about the criteria for selection of boxers into the national team- that exercise should surely rest on the shoulders of the Head Coach of the team; in this case Coach Ofori Asare.

In instances where there are technical teams in place, the Head Coach would be required to conduct the exercise with members of the team.

But when the Black Bombers perform poorly and the Head Coach claims he has no idea about how the boxers were selected, certainly it leaves doubts in the mind of followers and stakeholders as to what is happening at Dauda Fuseini’s GBF.

Without a response from the GBF, a PRO from the previous administration filled that vacuum; stepping into the role with vim and vigour but with whose authority or permission, it has not been established.

Advertisement

This former PRO may have assumed the role out of his love and passion for the sport. Across both radio and television, he did his advocacy for the GBF until his status was questioned by the legendary broadcaster Fiifi Banson on Sporty FM.

“Are you a member of the GBF?” was the first question by the broadcaster.

And his response was “No, I’ve been a communicator for the Federation officially from 2020, and I’m still doing advocacy for them.”

“But you’re not a member of the GBF?” was the next.

Advertisement

Again, he responded in the negative, explaining that “I’m not an elected member of the GBF. I was appointed in 2020 with an official letter as their communicator and I’ve been doing that since 2020.”

The next question was: “Do they recognise you as their official communications person?

“Of course, the president and I communicate and he has not told me anything otherwise,” was his answer.

One would therefore ask why a ‘boxing advocate’ should be subjected to this kind of cross-examination.

Advertisement

The answer is simple; it is because Dauda Fuseini has failed to make an appointment to fill that void since he ascended the GBF throne in December 2025.

This must be brought to his attention because the office of the PRO is one that should not be taken for granted.

If the issues of the GBF are left to ordinary boxing aficionados, they would end up causing more harm than good to the GBF.

And maybe, with an official spokesperson in place, the federation can issue a comprehensive statement addressing preparation and selection of boxers to the Games and whether indeed Coach Asare was involved or not.

Advertisement

By Andrew Nortey

Continue Reading

Sports

GTF president presents citations to GOC, NSA bosses

Published

on

Mr Ampofo Ankrah (second right) receiving the citation. With them are staff of the NSA
Mr Ampofo Ankrah (second right) receiving the citation. With them are staff of the NSA

The Ghana Taekwondo Federation (GTF) on Tuesday presented citations to the president of the Ghana Olympic Committee (GOC), Mr Richard Akpokavie and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the National Sports Authority (NSA) Mr Yaw Ampofo Ankrah.

The gesture, according to Mr Frederick Lartey Otu, was to appreciate the support the federation had enjoyed from them over the years.

Mr Lartey Otu (left) presenting the citation to Mr Akpokavie

Especially to him were the advice and supervision the two entities offered in the build-up and during the GTF’s Elective Congress held on July 18.

Presenting the citation, Mr Lartey Otu thanked Mr Akpokavie and Mr Yaw Ampofo Ankrah for the special interest shown by the GOC and the NSA to ensure that the election went smoothly.

“We had a very fair and peaceful election. It may not have been possible without the roles you played. The process was very transparent, thanks to what you did for us.”

Advertisement

According to Mr Lartey Otu, special requests were made to the GOC and NSA to select representatives to constitute an election and vetting committee to make the exercise very transparent.

He said the GTF would continue to work closely with the two agencies responsible for sports development and promotion and continue to solicit their support in the bid to develop Taekwondo across all the regions of Ghana.

Responding on behalf of the GOC President, the Secretary General of the GOC, Mr Mohammed Kassim, thanked Mr Lartey Otu for the gesture.

“This is certainly not a presentation to the GOC President alone. We see it as a reward for our team work. That is how federations are supposed to work. It will ensure unity among the hierarchy,” he said.

Advertisement

Mr Kassim urged the new GTF executive to remain focused on their mandate and work hard to realise the dream for which they sought the help of delegate to assume office.

On his part, Mr Yaw Ampofo Ankrah, on behalf of the NSA thanked the GTF boss for the gesture.

He commended the peaceful manner the election was held and hoped that other federations would take useful lessons to better the process.

“The GTF showed a great deal of maturity and respect during the election. That is what we expect to see at the other federations. I want to urge you to build a succession plan to make your transition processes easier,” he stated.

Advertisement

Mr Ankrah pledges the NSA’s support in implementing their plans and programmes ahead of other impending major competitions.

BY ANDREW NORTEY

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending