News
Mustapha Abdul-Hamid declares bid for NPP national vice chairman position

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/WhatsApp-Image-2026-04-09-at-10.54.54.jpeg&description=Mustapha Abdul-Hamid declares bid for NPP national vice chairman position', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2026/04/WhatsApp-Image-2026-04-09-at-10.54.54.jpeg&description=Mustapha Abdul-Hamid declares bid for NPP national vice chairman position', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
Former NPA boss, Dr. Mustapha Abdul-Hamid has announced his decision to contest for the position of National Vice Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) when nominations open.
In a statement addressed to party members, he said the decision follows repeated calls from the rank and file of the party for him to serve in a national executive role.
He noted that he had listened to the concerns and appeals before making his decision.
“This is not an ambition born of personal gain, but a desire to give back to the party what it has invested in me,” he stated.
Dr. Abdul-Hamid highlighted his long-standing involvement in the party, dating back to 1992 when he was a founding member of the University of Cape Coast (UCC) branch of the NPP.
He recalled being present at Victoria Park in Cape Coast during the transition from the Danquah-Busia Club to the NPP.
He also outlined his experience within the party, noting that he previously contested for National Organizer in 2001 and General Secretary in 2005, but was unsuccessful.
Despite the losses, he said these experiences have strengthened him over the years.
He added that he served as the first elected National Youth Organizer of the party, as well as spokesperson for former presidential candidate Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo for ten years.
He worked as Deputy National Campaign Manager during the party’s 2020 election campaign.
Dr. Abdul-Hamid expressed confidence in his ability to contribute to the leadership of the party, describing himself as someone with the knowledge and experience to support whoever is elected as chairman.
He further called for unity within the party, stressing the need to “re-strategize, rebuild and reorganize” to return the NPP to a strong leadership position.
He concluded by saying that the process of regaining national leadership starts from within the party.
By: Jacob Aggrey
News
Interior Ministry condemns assault of suspect in custody, orders Police investigation

The Ministry of the Interior has condemned the assault of an arrested person while in police custody and has directed the Inspector-General of Police to launch a full investigation into the incident.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Ministry said it noted with concern that the assault followed public statements linked to a religious dispute, including calls for violence against persons considered to have offended religious sensibilities.
“The Ministry unequivocally condemns all such statements, as there is no justification for inciting violence against Christians, Muslims, or any other person on the basis of religion,” the statement said.
The Ministry stressed that regardless of the allegation against a suspect, no one has the right to assault a person in police custody.
“An arrested person is in custody of the State and is entitled to the protection of the law,” the statement noted.
It also expressed serious concern over how civilians gained access to the person in custody.
The Minister, Muntaka Mubarak has directed the IGP to take three immediate actions
They are to identify how civilians accessed the arrested person and determine if any police personnel facilitated, permitted or acquiesced, adding that officers found culpable will face disciplinary action.
Additionally take immediate steps to identify, arrest and investigate the civilian persons who carried out the assault, in accordance with the law.
And finally investigate the conduct of all supervising officers responsible for custody and supervision, and apply disciplinary sanctions where necessary.
The Minister further directed the Police to deal with all persons arrested in connection with the preceding incidents “strictly in accordance with the law and without fear or favour.”
The Ministry reiterated that religious incitement, religious violence and the unlawful assault of persons in custody have no place in Ghana.
“No religious belief, personal grievance or other consideration places anyone above the law,” the statement emphasized.
It reaffirmed government’s commitment to maintaining public order, protecting the rights of persons in custody and promoting peaceful coexistence among citizens of all faiths and backgrounds.
By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme
News
Ghana fully funded evacuation of nationals from South Africa- Foreign Affairs Ministry

The Government of Ghana has stated that it fully funded the evacuation of more than 1,600 Ghanaians from South Africa following recent xenophobic attacks.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in a statement issued on Thursday, August 13, 2026, said Ghana did not seek financial or material support from the South African Government to bring the affected Ghanaians back home.
The Ministry was responding to media reports that South Africa was seeking about $18 million in reimbursement from some African countries for costs incurred in supporting and evacuating their nationals.
It explained that all costs related to the evacuation of Ghanaians were covered by the Government of Ghana and Ghanaian partners.
According to the Ministry, more than 1,600 Ghanaians have been evacuated from South Africa since May 2026, with the exercise still ongoing.
It said the evacuees are also provided with reintegration funds, transport fares and other relief items after arriving in Ghana to help them settle back into the country.
The Ministry assured Ghanaians that the country would not be included among those being asked by South Africa to reimburse the cost of repatriating foreign nationals.
It reaffirmed the government’s commitment to protecting the lives and welfare of Ghanaians living abroad.
The Ministry said the government would continue to take timely action whenever the safety and security of Ghanaians outside the country were at risk.
It expressed gratitude to President John Mahama and Ghanaian partners for supporting the fully Ghanaian-funded evacuation exercise.
By: Jacob Aggrey








