News
Morning Glory Foundation gives financial support to 25 women

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/20230722_141528.jpg&description=Morning Glory Foundation gives financial support to 25 women', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/20230722_141528.jpg&description=Morning Glory Foundation gives financial support to 25 women', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
The officials of MGF in a group photograph with recipients
Morning Glory Foundation (MGF), a Non-Governmental Christian Organisation, has donated GH¢ 1,000.00 each to 25 widows and single mothers to empower them to become economically viable.
The donation, which was the eighth in the series, was held at the Evangelical Presbyterian Church,Ghana, Kekeli Congregation, Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT) Flats, Ho, Volta Region, on Saturday, July 23, 2023, and was under the theme “Empowering The Needy”.
The beneficiaries were selected after they were taken through thorough screening and visits to their homes to ascertain the claims they had made earlier in an interview.
Though the programme was aimed at putting smiles on the faces of the beneficiaries, it rather turned into a sorrowful one as the recipients shed uncontrollable tears probably to recount the ordeal they had gone through.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the President of MGF, Rev. Davida Matti- Atakpah, said it was unfortunate that many women were going through serious challenges for which reason they ought to be assisted to enable them to cater for their children.
She said since MGF was launched as a Christian Foundation on Saturday, July 18, 2020, it had donated a total of GH¢ 92,000.00 to poor widows and single mothers as well as providing skills training to about 950 people, and therefore urged the beneficiaries not to abuse the privilege given them but to work hard so that the purpose for the assistance would be achieved.
Rev. Matti-Atakpah asked them not to listen to detractors who were determined to disturb them, but remain focused in their daily activities in order to attain success.
She said a skills training programme would be organised for interested persons in the region in August this year, adding that “MGF has planned to open a Permanent Skills Development Training Centre to provide sustainable self-employment skills to the youth.”
She called on relevant law enforcement agencies in the country to step up their efforts in safeguarding the welfare and protection of women.
The Vice President of MGF, Dr Oxygen Gershon Wullar, said though the donation would not be able to solve the myriad of problems the beneficiaries were going through, it was to enable them to be financially independent so they would be in a position to support the foundation in providing assistance to others in the future.
The patron of MGF, Dr Siegfried Debrah, who gave a detailed account (history) of the foundation, said though it was originally formed to preach the word of God every morning, it was later transformed into providing the physical needs of widows, single mothers and offering skills training to many women.
He said he was pleased to be associated with MGF in changing the lives of the beneficiaries.
Madam Ellen Adzo, a mother of six children, Madam Margaret Matti, who represented her daughter, a visually impaired lady who has lost her husband, and Madam Grace Gavor, a mother of four children, expressed their profound gratitude to MGF for the immense support given them so far.
Another female visually impaired beneficiary who was sexually exlpoited, got pregnant and delivered of a set of twins without knowing the man, was also most grateful for the assistance offered her by the organisation
By Raymond Kyekye
News
Tain residents in shock as husband allegedly kills wife, commits suicide
Residents of Brodi, a farming community in the Tain District of the Bono Region, have been left in shock and mourning following the alleged murder of a 45-year-old woman by her husband, who later died by suicide.
According to information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the suspect, popularly known as Kwabena Jack, believed to be in his 50s, allegedly attacked and killed his wife, Abena Donkor, while the couple were working on their farm on Monday, August 11, 2026.
Mr Kingsley Obah, Assembly Member for the Brodi Electoral Area, confirmed the incident to the GNA.
He explained that after news of the woman’s death spread through the community, residents launched a search for the suspect. His lifeless body was later discovered in a nearby bush on Tuesday, August 12, 2026.
Police have since conveyed both bodies to the Tain District Government Hospital, where they have been deposited for preservation and autopsy.
Investigations into the incident are ongoing. -GNA
News
Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.
The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.
Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.
Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.
The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.
Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.
Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.
Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.
After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.
For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.
A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.
According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.
She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.
However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.
The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.
Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.
Continued on page 12
By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu




