Hot!
Mason nearly lynched …as lady raises false alarm

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Raymond-Appiahs-cracked-phone.jpeg&description=Mason nearly lynched …as lady raises false alarm', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Raymond-Appiahs-cracked-phone.jpeg&description=Mason nearly lynched …as lady raises false alarm', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
Raymond Appiah’s cracked phone
A 23-year-old Mason, Raymond Atta Appiah escaped death by hairs breath last Saturday at Madina in the Greater Accra Region when he was wrongfully accused of stealing a lady’s phone.
He said he was severely beaten by a mob for about five minutes until he was saved by a member of his church who told the irate youth that her son was not a thief.
Narrating his ordeal to The Spectator on Monday, he said at about 9am last Saturday, he had gone to the Madina market to buy a few items when he was approached by a lady to give her his phone to make a phone call because hers had been stolen a while ago.
Appiah said he told the lady that if she wanted to use his mobile phone, she should mention the numbers she wished to call so that he would make the call on her behalf.
This, he said, infuriated the lady who started shouting and accusing him of stealing her mobile phone.
He said a certain young man who was standing by came to hold him by his shirt and others subsequently joined to assault him both physically and verbally.
The mason said he tried to explain himself but no one was ready to listen to him as they continued beating him until blood started oozing from his mouth.
He said one of the irate people tried to take his mobile phone from him but he resisted it and in the process of trying to bite the hand of the person forcibly taking his phone, he rather bit his mobile phone.
The victim said when he had almost lost hope of surviving the attack, a friend of his whose mother is a trader a few metres away from the scene went to inform her about the development and she rushed to rescue him.
The woman who was a member of his church, Christ Apostolic Church, told them she was his mother and that was what calmed the mob.
He said some of his attackers subsequently asked him questions for proof of ownership of his phone which he gave his number and stated the picture on the phone was his niece and also mentioned some numbers on the phone which saved him from further attacks.
Appiah said he, the lady who accused him of stealing her phone and another man who first held his shirt were led to the Madina Police Station by some concerned persons where the matter is being investigated.
He advised that people should use their own pictures as screen savers since that could save them a lot of trouble and also they should try and memorise some numbers on their phones so that in such cases it could authenticate their ownership
By Dzifa Tetteh Tay
Hot!
UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.
In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.
The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.
According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.
UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.
The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.
It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.
UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.
The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.
The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.
Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.
By: Jacob Aggrey
Hot!
NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.
The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.
According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.
The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.
It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.
“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.
The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.
The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.
The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.
By: Jacob Aggrey




