Connect with us

Hot!

I have sacrificed for the party and served Ghana wholeheartedly-Dr.Bawumia

Published

on

The Vice President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, a flagbearer hopeful of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), was today welcome by a vociferous crowd when he officially submitted his presidential nomination forms at the party head office in Asylum Down, Accra.

The crowd made up of friends, families, party faithfuls and supporters of the Vice President, besieged the head office in vehicles, making it difficult for the combined security officers of the Police Service, the Ghana Armed Forces, and the party’s security to put the situation under control.

The ceremony was turned into a mini rally as the supporters sang with party songs and cheered the Vice President when he entered the premises in the company of some top hierarchy of the NPP, which included, the Greater Accra Regional Minister, Henry Quarter, and former National Organiser of the party, Sammy Awuku among others.

The Minister of Fisheries and Aquaculture, Mavis Hawa Koomson, Majority Chief Whip in Parliament, Frank Annoh-Dompreh, with some other regional and polling station executives were also present to declare their support for the Vice President.

Other groups such as, the Bawumia Fun Club, Delegate for Bawumia, Security for Bawumia and Friends of Bawumia were some of the youth groups who were clad in party paraphernalia to cheer the Vice President as he mounted the podium to address the gathering.

Advertisement

Dr Bawumia, who was overwhelmed by the crowd, expressed gratitude to the supporters for the unflinching support shown him, following his decision to contest the flagbearership race of the party.

The Vice President said he believed the filling of his nomination was the first step for victory for the NPP in the 2024 presidential elections, stressing that, he had sacrificed for the party and had served the nation wholeheartedly.

Dr Bawumia said, he worked hard during the tenure of former President Agyekum Kufuor as Deputy Governor of the Bank of Ghana, and had also served and given his all as the Vice President in assisting and supporting President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo to achieve his vision.

“Together we started the processes of transforming Ghana, with honesty, hard work, dedication and discipline, despite the economic challenges of our time.

Advertisement

“Our government has constructed more infrastructure than any other government in the Fourth Republic, and many transformational policies, programmes and social interventions had been introduced in the history of the country, “Dr Bawumia touted.

Former Trade Minister, Alan Kwadwo Kyerematen, former General Secretary of the NPP, Kwabena Agyei Agyepong; Energy Analyst, Kwadwo Poku; two-time presidential aspirant, Dr. Kofi Konadu Apraku, MP, Assin Central Kennedy Agyapong, former Agric Minister, Dr Owusu Afriyie Akoto; former MP for Mampong, Francis Addai-Nimoh; former Railways and Development Minister, Joe Ghartey and former Energy Minister, and Boakye Agyarko are all aspiring for the flagbearer slot.

BY BERNARD BENGHAN

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Hot!

UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

Published

on

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.

In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.

The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.

According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.

Advertisement

UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.

The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.

It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.

UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.

Advertisement

The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.

The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.

Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Hot!

NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

Published

on

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.

The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.

According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.

The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.

Advertisement

It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.

“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.

The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.

The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.

Advertisement

The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending