Hot!
Check your health status regularly… Non-communicable diseases show no symptoms – Health expert

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Professor-Peter-Lamptey-inset-making-his-presentation-while-the-audience-listen-attentively.jpg&description=Check your health status regularly… Non-communicable diseases show no symptoms – Health expert', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Professor-Peter-Lamptey-inset-making-his-presentation-while-the-audience-listen-attentively.jpg&description=Check your health status regularly… Non-communicable diseases show no symptoms – Health expert', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
Professor Peter Lamptey (inset) making his presentation while
the audience listen attentively
A professor in Global Non- Communicable Diseases (NCDs) at London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine- England, Professor Peter Lamptey, has noted that issues on NCDs must be addressed both nationally and internationally, especially through financial support in order to curb the risk of increase.
He stated that Africa was currently experiencing a triple disease burden; endemic and epidemic, current and future pandemic (HIV, COVID) and lastly the explosive burden of NCDs thus the situation would worsen if immediate measures were not taken.
Professor Lamptey on Wednesday, at the 2023 Harvard University Joseph S. Agyepong Distinguished Lecture on Public Health in Africa at the University of Ghana- Legon, in Accra.
The professor was speaking on the topic: “Combatting Non Communicable Diseases: Africa’s Greatest Health Challenges.”
Despite the fact that NCDs were not transmissible, he noted that some were caused by infections such as gastric and cervical cancers amongst others, adding that Ghanaians must give it the requisite attention.
He mentioned some underlining risk factors of NCDs such as the usage of tobacco, unhealthy diet, the harmful use of alcohol, air pollution and insufficient physical activities.
“Looking at the long exposure of NCDs it is unlikely for one to recover as compared with someone infected with communicable diseases such as COVID-19 or HIV,” he said.
Again, Professor Lamptey cited some cultural perceptions and negligence of Ghanaians that impeded public health workers while discharging their duties in the prevention of NCDs.
He advised that people should regularly check their health status by visiting health facilities “since NCDs did not exhibit any symptoms and it could take decades before patients could identify the symptoms.”
He further said that people who presumed to be healthier because they felt and looked well, should be careful
Executive Chairman of the Jospong Group of Companies, Dr Joseph Siaw Agyepong and his wife, Adelaide Siaw Agyepong donated GHc500, 000 to support NCDs advocacy in Ghana.
This was due to the fact that not much money had been committed towards the education of the general public to trigger behavioural change.
The 4th edition of the annual lecture, co-hosted by the Harvard University CAS, formed part of activities of the University of Ghana’s 75th Anniversary.
On her part, Vice Chancellor of the University, Prof Nana Aba Appiah Amfo, said the University looked forward to pragmatic measures which could address NCDs from an African perspective.
By Yunusah Essandoh
Hot!
UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.
In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.
The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.
According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.
UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.
The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.
It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.
UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.
The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.
The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.
Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.
By: Jacob Aggrey
Hot!
NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.
The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.
According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.
The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.
It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.
“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.
The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.
The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.
The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.
By: Jacob Aggrey




