Connect with us

Hot!

80,000 residents in Kumasi benefit from household toilets

Published

on

• Ms. Cecilia Abena Dapaah (in cap), Minister, Sanitation and Water Resources, inspecting one of the facilities

Ms. Cecilia Abena Dapaah (in cap), Minister, Sanitation and Water Resources,

inspecting one of the facilities

 So far 80,000 people have been provided with household toilets under the Greater Kumasi Metropolitan Assemblies’ Sanitation and Water Project (GKMA-SWP) of the Ministry of Sanitation and Water Resources.

This followed the construction of 10,000 house­hold toilets, since the start of the project a year and half ago.

Advertisement

Also, the project has awarded contracts to 129 contractors to provide 120 schools with toilets.

These came to light during a working tour of the sector Minister, Cecilia Abena Dapaah, to monitor the progress of work,here.

It is recalled the Minister, in November 19,2021,launched the GKMA-SWP project as part of government’s determination to provide pragmatic measures to find a lasting solution to the water and sanitation problems in the country.

The World Bank funded project is expected to con­struct 30,000 household toilet facilities in the GKMA before the close of the project in December 2024, with the bio-digester toilet system being the main containment technology.

Advertisement

It is an extension of the Greater Accra Sanitation and Water Project (GAMA- SWP), which started from 2015.

After a successful project implementation at the end of 2020, the Ministry of Sanitation and Water Resources, with financial and technical support from the World Bank, agreed to extend the project to Greater Kumasi until the end of 2024.

In Kumasi, the project is being implemented in eight Metropolitan and Municipal Assemblies(M­MAs)- Asokwa, Oforikrom, old Tafo, Suame, Kwadaso, Asokore Mampong Municipal Assembly, Kumasi Metro­politan Assembly (KMA) and Ejisu Municipality.

Ms. Dapaah was full of hope the target would be met as she expressed satisfaction about the contrac­tors’ performances.

Advertisement

During the visits, she took her time to interact with some of the benefi­ciaries and stressed the importance of maintaining the facilities.

At Oforikrom, Asokwa, Ejisu-Be­sease,among other places visited, the institutional toilet facilities were at their completion stages.

These facilities have private places for the school girls to enable them feel comfortable to manage their menstruation safely, hygienically with confidence and dignity.

Project Coordinator, George Asiedu, stated that the total cost of the project was $125 million out of which $51,550 million has been allo­cated for water supply which was being managed by the Ghana Water Company Limited with the sanita­tion component having $73,450 million.

Advertisement

According to Mr. Asiedu, 67 per cent of the sanita­tion fund had been spent so far on the project.

He said that government had absorbed over 75 per cent of the cost of construction of the toilets which households were expected to pay only GH¢1,200.00 for a complete toilet and GH¢700.00 for biodigester if they had the toilet building already.

From Kingsley E. Hope, Kumasi

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Hot!

UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

Published

on

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.

In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.

The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.

According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.

Advertisement

UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.

The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.

It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.

UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.

Advertisement

The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.

The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.

Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Hot!

NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

Published

on

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.

The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.

According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.

The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.

Advertisement

It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.

“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.

The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.

The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.

Advertisement

The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending