Connect with us

News

Improve security protocols at health facilities to protect patients, staff

Published

on

Gender minister Dr Naa Momo Lartey
Gender minister Dr Naa Momo Lartey

Calls for adequate security systems to make health facilities safer and secured for patients and visitors have intensified over the saga of a stolen baby that rocked the Mamprobi Polyclinic on Tuesday.

The call, spearheaded by the Minister of Gender, Children and Social Protection, Agnes Naa Momo Lartey, is believed to offer a cure to such incidents in future, and also protect patients, especially vulnerable new-borns from harm.

Dr Naa Momo Lartey and other Members of Parliament rushed to the facility on Wednesday when news broke that the missing baby had been found and the suspected woman that took the baby arrested.

The incident was said to have occurred on Tuesday, February 17, shortly after the mother delivered via a caesarean section.

Advertisement

The alleged abduction triggered panic among hospital staff and patients, prompting swift action by authorities and the police.

Addressing the media after reconciling baby with mother, Dr Naa Momo Lartey stated that the incident highlighted the importance of robust measures in health facilities to promote the safety of patients and staff.

She pledged that her ministry will work closely with the Ministry of Health and other relevant stakeholders to review and strengthen existing security protocols to ensure that the incident was not repeated.

Speaking to the media, Madam Precious Ankomah, the mother of the ‘lost but found’ baby said she was still in shock.

Advertisement

Narrating her ordeal, Madam Ankomah stated that the suspect disguised herself as a nurse and took the new-born under the pretext of administering medication.

She said after sometime, she decided to step out to check on the baby and met a nurse who enquired about the baby and said she was coming to them.

“That was when I felt there was something wrong and I quickly raised an alarm, drawing staff and visitors and family members to the scene,” she stated.

As of press time, the police confirmed reports of the arrest of the woman, Laifatu Salifu, in the centre of the theft storm and she was assisting with investigation to unravel the mystery around the whole incident.

Advertisement

By Linda Abrefi Wadie

Join our WhatsApp Channel now!
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbBElzjInlqHhl1aTU27

News

Teenage pregnancy cases rise in Akatsi South, exceeds national target

Published

on

Participants at the annual review workshop

THE Akatsi South Municipality recorded 314 teenage pregnancies in 2025, exceeding the national target despite intensified efforts by health officials to curb the situation.

“Sad as it may be, six girls aged 10–14 years were pregnant, and 269 teenagers delivered, of which five were between 10–14 years, all making up 12.1 per cent against the national target of reducing below 11.5 per cent,” Miss Justine Sefakor Alornyo, Municipal Director of Health Services, disclosed during the 2025 health performance review at the Akatsi South Municipal Assembly Hall.

Under Antenatal Care (ANC), 2,594 pregnant women were registered in 2025, representing 65.9 per cent coverage, up from 2,278 in 2024 with 58.4 per cent coverage.

The Municipality recorded 2,071 supervised deliveries in 2025, a slight increase from 1,997 in 2024. All 2,071 newborns received BCG, Penta, and Measles-Rubella vaccines.

Advertisement

Miss Alornyo attributed the gains to continuous education and advocacy across the Municipality.

On HIV, 151 cases were identified—108 females and 43 males. All are on treatment, including 15 pregnant women who tested positive. Eighteen exposed babies have been placed on prophylaxis.

She added that 60 tuberculosis cases were managed, while investigations into six suspected measles cases, two yellow fever cases, and one Acute Flaccid Paralysis (AFP) case all tested negative.

Highlighting achievements, Miss Alornyo thanked stakeholders, especially the Municipal Assembly, for supporting service delivery. In 2025, the construction of CHPS compounds at Zuta, Ahlepedo, and Asafotsi, as well as the renovation of the Wute Health Centre, is ongoing.

Advertisement

Midwives were posted to Wuxor, Gui, Dzogadze, Akuave, and Livega CHPS facilities, while Dzogadze and Gui CHPS were officially handed over for service delivery.

The annual review assessed progress, achievements, gaps, and innovative strategies to address health challenges.

Akatsi South Municipality is served by 40 health facilities: two hospitals (one private and one municipal), six health centres, 27 CHPS compounds, one CHAG facility, and four clinics.

Infrastructure deficits and transportation challenges remain key concerns.

Advertisement

—GNA

Join our WhatsApp Channel now!
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbBElzjInlqHhl1aTU27

Continue Reading

News

Putting Northern cuisine on the world menu: Chef Abiro’s journey

Published

on

Chef Abiro

From Bolgatanga in Ghana’s Upper East Region, Chef Abiro Seidu Napaana of Zuarungu is redefining what it means to cook and take pride in one’s heritage. His mission: to elevate Northern Ghanaian cuisine onto the global stage.

Raised in a household that emphasized gender equality, Abiro began cooking as a responsibility rather than rebellion. In a region where cooking is traditionally assigned to women, his early interest was unusual, but it quickly became a passion.

At Bolgatanga Senior High School, Abiro chose Home Economics over General Science, placing him among just five boys in his class. Despite bullying and skepticism from peers, he excelled academically, proving his capabilities and earning respect.

Abiro pursued Hotel, Catering, and Institutional Management at university, graduating in 2019. He noted that culinary schools often prioritized international cuisines—French, Italian, Mexican, and Chinese—while sidelining Ghanaian dishes. Determined to champion local cuisine, he joined the Ghana Food Movement, an organization promoting indigenous foods.

Focusing on Northern Ghanaian cuisine, Abiro highlights its nutrient-dense, climate-adapted dishes, such as wasawasa (millet-based) and tuo zaafi (soups with dried okra). To make these visually appealing, he reimagines traditional meals using modern plating techniques, maintaining authenticity while attracting contemporary audiences.

Advertisement

His work has gained international recognition. He has conducted cooking demonstrations in Italy, France, Morocco, Algeria, Senegal, and Canada, showcasing Ghanaian staples rather than continental dishes. For four consecutive years, he has represented Northern Ghanaian cuisine in Rome through programmes linked to the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO).

Abiro also advocates for climate-resilient crops like fonio and millet, highlighting their potential to combat food insecurity and lifestyle diseases such as diabetes and hypertension. He believes Northern Ghanaian cuisine, rich in fibre, micronutrients, and plant proteins, will become central to global conversations on sustainable and healthy eating.

As Head Chef of the Ghana Food Movement, Abiro sees himself not just as a cook but as a cultural ambassador. His message to young chefs: success is possible when rooted in indigenous cuisine.

“I came from Zuarungu in the Upper East. If I can travel the world cooking Northern Ghanaian food, then any young chef who believes in their heritage can do the same,” he says.

For Chef Abiro, the kitchen is a platform for identity, pride, and transformation—one beautifully plated dish at a time.

Advertisement

By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu

Join our WhatsApp Channel now!
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbBElzjInlqHhl1aTU27


Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending