Connect with us

News

Ismael Ashitey scholarship scheme supports students in Tema Metropolis

Published

on

The beneficiaries displaying dummy cheques

Mindful of the essence of educa­tion and the challenges people go through to access it, a schol­arship scheme named the “Honourable Ismael Ashitey Foundation” (HIAF), a former Greater Accra Regional Minister has been instituted to assist students of Tema Mamhean in the Tema Metrop­olis to access education.

HIAF has also established a hospital at Tema Community Three to provide affordable medical services to resi­dents of Tema Manhean and beyond.

The leader for the Foundation, Ms Ashitey, a daughter of the deceased said the goal of HIAF was to enhance the lives of the residents of Tema Manhean by awarding merit-based scholarships to students with high academic credentials to pursue degree programmes at any public universities in the country.

Advertisement

Ms. Ashitey said the award which had been instituted a year after the demise of their father was aimed at honouring his memory and their com­mitment to supporting the community in diverse ways.

She said this year’s beneficiaries of the scheme had “unmatched potentials with world changing capabilities and that the foundation will guide them with the necessary tools to enable them to reach their highest poten­tials”.

“We have to move beyond our initial commitment of three students because the caliber of applicants are exception­al. We are proud of these young schol­ars and excited to partner with them on their academic journey” she said.

She said the beneficiaries included Masters Kenneth Okoe Mensah and Kennedy Akwetey Mensah both students of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology , Kumasi study­ing Computer Science, Ms Jennifer Naa Tordi Mantey, a student of the Univer­sity of Cape Coast, studying Dietetics and Nutrition and Bernard Tetteh Men­sah, a student of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology pursuing Chemistry.

Advertisement

Each of the four beneficiaries were presented with an amount of GH¢ 5000 to support their tuition, feeding and accommodation.

She used the opportunity to encour­age the youth to study hard so that they could benefit from the scheme.

A member of the Council of State, Mr. Stanley Nii Adjiri-Blankson, who was the Guest of Honour, advised parents to train their children well to ensure they were well placed to continue their good works.

He described the late Minister as a respectful and selfless person who had the urge to help others and said he was happy his children had seen the need to do something worth commending to celebrate him and also help others.

Advertisement

One of the beneficiaries Ms Mantey thanked the Foundation and promised that they would make the best out of it.

 From Dzifa Tetteh Tay, Tema

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Tain residents in shock as husband allegedly  kills wife, commits suicide

Published

on

Residents of Brodi, a farming community in the Tain District of the Bono Region, have been left in shock and mourning following the alleged murder of a 45-year-old woman by her husband, who later died by suicide. 

According to information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the suspect, popularly known as Kwabena Jack, believed to be in his 50s, allegedly attacked and killed his wife, Abena Donkor, while the couple were working on their farm on Monday, August 11, 2026. 

Mr Kingsley Obah, Assembly Member for the Brodi Electoral Area, confirmed the incident to the GNA. 

He explained that after news of the woman’s  death spread through the community, residents launched a search for the suspect. His lifeless body was later discovered in a nearby bush on Tuesday, August 12, 2026. 

Advertisement

Police have since conveyed both bodies to the Tain District Government Hospital, where they have been deposited for preservation and autopsy. 

Investigations into the incident are ongoing. -GNA 

Continue Reading

News

Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Published

on

Hawkers taken over the pedestrian walkway on the footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.

The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.

Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.

Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.

Advertisement

The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.

Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.

Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.

Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.

Advertisement

After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.

For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.

A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.

According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.

Advertisement

She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.

However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.

The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.

Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II  Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.

Advertisement

Continued on page 12

By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending