Connect with us

Hot!

Netflix hints at password sharing crackdown as subscribers fall

Published

on

One of Netflix most popular series, Bridgerton, launched its second series last month

Netflix has hinted it will crack down on households sharing passwords as it seeks to sign up new members following a sharp fall in subscribers.

Some 200,000 people left the streaming service in the first three months of the year as it faced intense competition from rivals.

It was also hit after it raised prices in some countries and left Russia.

Netflix warned shareholders another two million subscribers were likely to leave in the three months to July.

Advertisement

“Our revenue growth has slowed considerably,” the firm told shareholders on Tuesday after publishing its first quarter results.

“Our relatively high household penetration – when including the large number of households sharing accounts – combined with competition, is creating revenue growth headwinds.”

The streaming giant estimates more than 100 million households are breaking its rules by sharing passwords.

Boss Reed Hastings previously described the practice as “something you have to learn to live with”, adding that much of it is “legitimate” between family members. The firm also said account sharing had probably fuelled its growth by getting more people using Netflix.

But on Tuesday Mr Hastings said it was now making it hard to attract new subscribers in some countries.

Advertisement

“When we were growing fast, it wasn’t a high priority to work on [account sharing]. And now we’re working super hard on it,” he told shareholders.

The firm said that measures it is testing to curb password sharing in Latin America could be rolled out to other countries, with accounts that break the rules charged extra.

Lucas Shaw, who writes the Screentime newsletter for Bloomberg news, told the BBC that password sharing had been an issue for Netflix “for a long time” but was by no means its biggest challenge.

Imelda Staunton takes over from Olivia Colman as the Queen in the fifth series of the show

“It feels like the company is trying to identify an area of potential growth,” he told the Today programme.

“They’ve tried to curb password sharing in the past and had a very hard time.”

Advertisement

Shares in the streaming giant plunged more than 25% in after-hours trading following the news, wiping more than $30bn (£23bn) off the company’s market valuation.

Subscriber exodus

The last time the company lost members in a quarter was October 2011 and it warned that many more people would cut ties this year.

The firm remains the world’s leading streaming service, with more than 220 million subscribers, but it said a surge in sign-ups during the pandemic had “obscured the picture” around its growth.

Analysts say people are cutting back on streaming as they look to save money and feel overwhelmed by the volume of content available.

Advertisement

Netflix also faces intense competition as firms such as Amazon, Apple and Disney pour money into their online streaming services.

Paolo Pescatore, an analyst at PP Foresight, said the subscriber loss was a “reality check” for Netflix, as it tries to balance retaining subscribers with raising its revenue.

“While Netflix and other services were key in lockdown, users are now thinking twice about their purchasing behaviour based upon changing habits,” he said.

North America especially is “now awash with too many services chasing too few dollars”, he added.

Advertisement

Russia hit

Pulling out of Russia, a step Netflix took following the war in Ukraine, cost it 700,000 subscribers, Netflix said.

Another 600,000 people stopped its service in the US and Canada after its put up prices, it added.

Netflix said that move was playing out “in line with expectations” and would yield more money for the firm, despite the cancellations.

Its revenue in the first three months of the year was $7.8bn (£6bn), up 9.8% compared with the same period last year.

Advertisement

That marked a slowdown from earlier quarters, while profits fell more than 6% to roughly $1.6bn.

As it looks to grow, the firm said it was focused on international markets and was also looking at bringing advertising into its services.

Mr Hastings said it was “pretty clear” that ad-supported services were working for Disney and HBO.

“Those who have followed Netflix know that I’ve been against the complexity of advertising, and a big fan of the simplicity of subscription,” he said. “But, as much as I’m a fan of that, I’m a bigger fan of consumer choice.”

Advertisement

Analysts say the rising cost of streaming services was starting to wear on households.

Source: BBC

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Hot!

UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

Published

on

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.

In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.

The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.

According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.

Advertisement

UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.

The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.

It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.

UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.

Advertisement

The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.

The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.

Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Hot!

NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

Published

on

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.

The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.

According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.

The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.

Advertisement

It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.

“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.

The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.

The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.

Advertisement

The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending