Connect with us

Hot!

Jirapa records zero maternal deaths in 3 years

Published

on

Jirapa District in the Upper West Region has not recorded a single maternal death in the district for three years now.

Madam Florence Ansungmni, Municipal Health Director of Jirapa disclosed this during the Country Director of UNICEF, Ms Anne-Claire’s visit to the district to observe health facilities and health system of the area.

Madam Ansungmni revealed that hospital delivery was almost 100 per cent since every woman in the district gave birth in the health facilities.

This, she said, was due to the assistance received from UNICEF, stressing that some equipment and drugs had been supplied to the hospitals and clinics in the district.

Advertisement

The district director mentioned that, essential maternal, new born, child health and nutrition services were being rendered at the health facilities in the area.

Madam Ansunggmni indicated that UNICEF assisted in organising regular capacity building for nurses and midwives in the area which had gone a long way to enhance their performance.

The Country Director of UNICEF, Ms Anne-Claire assured health administrators of her commitment to continue extending help to them in order to improve lives of mothers and babies.

She said the future of every community depended on today’s children hence the urgent need to address the challenges facing mothers and new born babies.

Advertisement

Ms Dufay commended the nurses and midwives for their dedication to duty and urged them to continue with it.

She thanked the Upper West Regional Coordinating Council for partnering UNICEF to improve health status of children and women.

From: Yakubu Abdul-Majeed, Jirapa

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Hot!

State closes case in missing US$2M ‘Sky Train’ matter

Published

on

The prosecution has officially rested its case in The Republic v Solomon Asamoah & Another, the high-profile legal battle commonly referred to as the “Sky Train” case.

The Deputy Attorney General Justice Srem Sai announced the development, praising the state’s team of hard-working prosecutors for successfully anchoring the state’s evidence before the High Court.

The criminal trial centers on the former Chief Executive Officer and the former Board Chairman of the Ghana Infrastructure Investment Fund (GIIF).

The duo stands accused of illegally authorizing and paying out US$2 million to a foreign company without obtaining board directives or other mandatory statutory approvals.

Advertisement

State investigators have confirmed that the disbursed millions cannot be found.

Following the closure of the prosecution’s case, the accused persons moved the court for an opportunity to file a submission of no case.

The presiding judge granted the application, ordering the defense to submit their arguments by June 8.

The outcome of the June 8 filings will decide the fate of the trial:

Advertisement

With this, if the judge finds the defense’s submission convincing, the accused will be acquitted and discharged however, If the judge dismisses the submission, the court will order the accused officials to take the stand and explain why they should not face prison sentences.

By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme

Continue Reading

Hot!

Sammy Awuku mourns demise of Akuapem North NDC Constituency Secretary Isaac Batsa

Published

on

Member of Parliament for Akuapem North, Sammy Awuku, has expressed deep sorrow following the sudden passing of Isaac Batsa, the constituency secretary for the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC).

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) lawmaker issued a statement on Tuesday reacting to the news, which has shocked the local political community.

Mr.Awuku praised the late NDC secretary for his bipartisan approach to local governance.

He noted that despite their different political affiliations, Batsa consistently rose above party lines to serve the constituency with diligence.

Advertisement

The MP revealed that the news was particularly shocking given that he had last interacted with Batsa just three days prior on Saturday.

Concluding his statement, Sammy Awuku extended his heartfelt condolences to Batsa’s family, the constituency and regional executives, and the entire NDC fraternity, wishing the deceased peaceful eternal rest.

By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending