Connect with us

News

Coastal Development Authority donates PPE to NTC

Published

on

The Coastal Development Authority (CoDA) has donated 200 nose masks and 100 hand sanitisers to the New Times Corporation (NTC), publishers of Ghanaian Times and The Spectator, in support of efforts to curb the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

Additionally, the Authority is to provide vendors of the company within the coastal zone with some of the products to protect them from being infected with the disease.

Presenting the items yesterday in Accra, Chief Executive Officer of CoDA, Jerry Ahmed Shaib, commended NTC for continuously creating awareness on the preventive protocols and measures to help fight the disease.

As an agency helping to fight the spread of the virus in the country, he said, CoDA appreciates the role the media had played in sensitising the populace on the measures already announced by the government to stop the spread of coronavirus.

Advertisement

“The fight against this disease does not solely rely on the government and institutions in the country. We cannot do this alone as an agency. We need all of you and that is why we appreciate the work the media is doing in this fight. You have been supportive and we really appreciate it,” he stated.

Mr Shaib singled out Ghanaian Times for praise for its campaign on nose or face masks wearing as one of the protocols to prevent the spread of the disease stating that “your publication has given relevance to what we are currently doing including donation of sanitary items and nose masks to fight COVID-19.”

CoDA, he said, would continue to remain a true partner to the NTC to further the country’s development agenda.

Editor of Ghanaian Times, Dave Agbenu, who received the items, expressed gratitude to CoDA for the gesture saying that the donation would be an added boost to the company which had been at the forefront of the fight against the disease.

Advertisement

He said NTC, through its publications, intensified its campaign on nose mask wearing to create awareness on the effective use of the product to stop the spread of the virus.

“Our work here is a public service. We commenced this campaign to educate the public on the importance of wearing nose mask and how it could be done properly. This is our contribution to the fight against COVID-19 and we will continue until this ‘new enemy’ is defeated,” he stated.

The Ghanaian Times, he said, would not renege on its core mission to provide the platform for people to voice their opinions and ideas and help build the country.

BY CLAUDE NYARKO ADAMS

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Tain residents in shock as husband allegedly  kills wife, commits suicide

Published

on

Residents of Brodi, a farming community in the Tain District of the Bono Region, have been left in shock and mourning following the alleged murder of a 45-year-old woman by her husband, who later died by suicide. 

According to information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the suspect, popularly known as Kwabena Jack, believed to be in his 50s, allegedly attacked and killed his wife, Abena Donkor, while the couple were working on their farm on Monday, August 11, 2026. 

Mr Kingsley Obah, Assembly Member for the Brodi Electoral Area, confirmed the incident to the GNA. 

He explained that after news of the woman’s  death spread through the community, residents launched a search for the suspect. His lifeless body was later discovered in a nearby bush on Tuesday, August 12, 2026. 

Advertisement

Police have since conveyed both bodies to the Tain District Government Hospital, where they have been deposited for preservation and autopsy. 

Investigations into the incident are ongoing. -GNA 

Continue Reading

News

Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Published

on

Hawkers taken over the pedestrian walkway on the footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.

The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.

Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.

Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.

Advertisement

The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.

Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.

Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.

Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.

Advertisement

After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.

For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.

A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.

According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.

Advertisement

She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.

However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.

The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.

Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II  Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.

Advertisement

Continued on page 12

By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending