Connect with us

News

CAGD denies claims that GH¢11 billion has been spent on Accra Kumasi Expressway

Published

on

The Controller and Accountant General’s Department (CAGD) has dismissed claims circulating on social media that the government has already spent nearly GH¢11 billion on the Accra Kumasi Expressway project even though major construction has not begun.

In a statement, the department explained that the claim was based on a misunderstanding of government accounting procedures.

According to the CAGD, the Accra Kumasi Expressway is one of the government’s flagship infrastructure projects.

To ensure steady financing and avoid delays and cost overruns, the government, through the Ghana Infrastructure Investment Fund (GIIF), established Accra Kumasi Expressway Limited as a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) to implement the project.

Advertisement

The department said Parliament approved the use of proceeds from the Annual Budget Funding Amount (ABFA) and mineral royalties in the 2025 Budget to finance the project. It added that the approved funds were transferred from the Consolidated Fund into a dedicated Bank of Ghana account.

However, the CAGD stressed that the money has not been paid to any contractor and has not been used for construction works.

According to the statement, the funds remain in the dedicated Bank of Ghana account and will only be used when the project moves into the execution stage.

The department also clarified that the ongoing right of way clearing by the Ghana Armed Forces is a separate preparatory activity and is not being financed with the earmarked funds.

Advertisement

Explaining the accounting treatment, the CAGD said government operates through three levels: Central Government, Local Government and Government Business Entities, including State Owned Enterprises such as Accra Kumasi Expressway Limited.

It noted that under public financial management rules, transfers from the Consolidated Fund to government entities outside the Central Government accounting group are recorded as grant expenditure in the books of Central Government and as grant revenue in the books of the receiving entity.

The department said this is a standard accounting practice and does not mean the receiving entity has spent the money.

It added that the same accounting principle applies to transfers made to institutions such as the District Assemblies Common Fund, GETFund and the National Health Insurance Authority.

Advertisement

The CAGD therefore urged the public not to interpret the accounting records as evidence that the funds had already been spent on the Accra Kumasi Expressway project.

It assured Ghanaians that the accounting treatment for the project is fully consistent with the country’s Public Financial Management framework and established government accounting standards.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement

News

AHISCOSA 1993-year group pays courtesy call on MD of NTC

Published

on

Mr Eshun (middle) presenting a gift to Dr Okpoti Nai (right) during the visit. With them are Mrs Quaittoo (second from right), Rev Canon Dr Lt Col Lokko (second from left) and Ms Tetteh Photo Lizzy Okai

The 1993 Class of Accra High School Old Students Association (AHISCOSA) on Tuesday paid a courtesy call on the Managing Director (MD) of New Times Corporation (NTC), Dr Isaac Okpoti Nai to congratulate him on his appointment as MD and assure him of the association’s support.

The delegation of the year group also known as Onukpai 1993, was led by the President of the association, Mr Robert Amissah Eshun, lecturer at the Accra Technical University (ATU). Others were Mrs Elizabeth Sonia Tetteh, Senior Assistant Registrar at ATU and Rev. Canon Dr Lt. Col. Francis Obodai Lokko, Southern Command Chaplain of the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF).

The President congratulated Dr Nai, who is also a member of the 1993-year group describing his appointment as a source of pride for the year group and the entire school.

“Your appointment as Managing Director is not only your personal achievement, it is a win for Accra High School and for the Class of 1993,” the President said.

According to Mr Eshun the group is proud to see one of its own rise from the classrooms, dormitories and assembly grounds of AHISCO to lead one of Ghana’s major media organisations.

Advertisement

“We remember you not just as our classmate, but as one of us who carried the Accra High School values with you: discipline, excellence and service,” he noted and added that “Dr Okpoti Nai demonstrated discipline, tenacity and excellence during his school days, qualities which, had prepared him for the leadership responsibility he now occupies.”

The delegation assured Dr Nai of their support through prayer, goodwill and other forms of assistance as he carried the name, values and reputation of AHISCO into his new role.

They further urged the MD to lead with wisdom, integrity and strength, while expressing the hope that his tenure would bring growth and development to NTC and create opportunities for others to rise.

The Class of 1993 also presented a gift to Dr Okpoti Nai as a symbol of their appreciation and continued support.

In response, Dr Nai thanked the delegation for the visit and said he was grateful for the gesture and the confidence they had reposed in him.

Advertisement

He encouraged them to subscribe to the Corporation’s e-newspapers, www.timesnewsplus.com, to support its growth.

The Editor of The Spectator, Mrs Georgina Naa-Maku Quaittoo, who is also an old student of AHISCO, of the Onukpai 1989-year group expressed appreciation to the delegation for their visit and encouraged them to support the Corporation by buying and reading its newspapers, The Spectator (TS) and The Ghanaian Times (GT).

Rev. Canon Dr Lt. Col. Lokko, prayed for God to grant the MD wisdom, strength, good health and integrity as he leads the corporation.

“May your tenure bring growth to the corporation and may it also open doors for others to excel,” he prayed.

Advertisement

By Linda Abrefi Wadie

Continue Reading

News

Police to prosecute commercial drivers for overcharging passengers

Published

on

A passenger demands change from a driver's mate

Commercial vehicle operators who charge above approved fares will be prosecuted, the Police have warned.

The Police said drivers who deliberately charged passengers fares above the approved rates gazetted by the Ministry of Transport and other relevant stakeholders risked legal action, particularly where there was evidence of repeated violations.

In an interview with the Ghana News Agency (GNA), Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Alexander Kweku Obeng, Director of the Motor Traffic and Transport Department (MTTD), said commercial drivers were required to adhere to the approved fares and should not exploit commuters for personal gain.

He said the prosecution formed part of measures to strengthen compliance with road traffic regulations and protect passengers from unfair practices in the commercial transport sector.

Advertisement

The warning comes amid recurring complaints from commuters about arbitrary fare increases, particularly during periods of fuel price adjustments, vehicle shortages, heavy traffic and increased demand for public transport.

In some instances, passengers have complained of being charged fares different from the officially approved rates or being asked to pay additional amounts after boarding vehicles.

ACP Obeng cautioned commercial drivers against such practices, saying approved fares were not optional and must be respected by operators.

He urged drivers to see compliance not merely as a legal obligation but as part of their responsibility to the travelling public.

Advertisement

“Don’t cheat commuters and passengers. Accept the right, agreed fare as gazetted,” he said.

He said enforcement of road traffic regulations would not only focus on conventional road offences but would also address conduct that affected the rights and safety of commuters.

The MTTD Director urged drivers to desist from exploiting passengers and operate strictly within the fares agreed upon by the relevant authorities.

“Don’t come on the road and do short-short, and then start putting unfair fares on potential passengers,” he cautioned.

Advertisement

ACP Obeng said drivers who repeatedly violated the approved fare regime could be taken to court.

He also urged passengers to familiarise themselves with the approved fares and report suspected cases of overcharging to the appropriate authorities.

He said public cooperation was essential to effective enforcement because passengers were often the first to identify cases where drivers charged fares outside the approved rates.

ACP Obeng said the broader objective was to promote fairness and discipline within the commercial transport sector while protecting commuters from practices that placed an unnecessary financial burden on them.

Advertisement

He said the Police would continue to collaborate with relevant institutions to enforce road traffic regulations and ensure that commercial transport operators operated within the law. –GNA

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending