Hot!
Brand J’KARTA excites patrons at Frankfurt ‘Ambiente 2023

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Ms-Oakbell-Majdoub-left-speaking-to-a-client-a-the-fair.jpg&description=Brand J’KARTA excites patrons at Frankfurt ‘Ambiente 2023', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Ms-Oakbell-Majdoub-left-speaking-to-a-client-a-the-fair.jpg&description=Brand J’KARTA excites patrons at Frankfurt ‘Ambiente 2023', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
• Ms Okbell Majdoub (left) speaking to a client at the fair
About 19 Ghanaian businesses joined over 4,460 exhibitors from 92 nations at one of the biggest trade and exhibition fairs dubbed “Ambiente 2023” which ended recently in Frankfurt, Germany.
The fair which took off on February 3 to February 7, 2023, showcased the latest range of related consumer goods such as lighting, gifts and souvenirs, household items, arts and crafts, jewellery, watches, tableware, among others.
It sought, among other things, to reflect the dynamic nature of the consumer goods industry and enable participants appreciate factors shaping the future of the industry, such as the shift towards sustainability. The show was interspersed with presentations, competitions and award ceremonies.
J’KARTA, an emerging handicraft business in Ghana, which produces sustainable fashion apparel and accessories from jute, featured prominently at the fair and attracted positive reviews for its range of products.
Ms Okbell Majdoub is the Chief Executive Officer of the company which is transforming locally-sourced jute bags into fashionable products.
Speaking to The Spectator after the fair, she said the inspiring response from patrons was a “solid backing” to the existing reputation and admiration brand J’KARTA had gained over the years.
Commending the Ghana Export Promotion Authority (GEPA) for the recognition, she said the fair presented “a great opportunity” for her company to meet international standards as it continued to meet the demands of clients locally.
She said J’KARTA remained committed to the concept of “sustainable fashion”, where “clothing is designed and manufactured in an environmentally friendly manner.”
“Our bags and shoes caught the interest of international consumers. They liked the attention to finishing details and the idea that every piece was handmade.
“As the company continues to grow, we would do more in helping build skills in the youth and emphasise the essence of sustainability in the fashion industry,” she added.
Ms. Majdoub noted that emerging business like J’KARTA would need financial support in order to purchase more sophisticated machinery to increase productivity and ensure “the development of enhanced finished products.”
She, therefore, urged the government to support and rebuild defunct jute factories in the country to ease the burden on businesses which relied on the raw material for other finished products.
J’KARTA has so far left its footprints in Ivory Coast, Liberia, the United Kingdom (UK) and looks forward to producing exquisite fashionable products and promoting the Made-in-Ghana brand in 2023 and beyond.
By Ernest Nutsugah
Hot!
UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.
In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.
The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.
According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.
UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.
The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.
It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.
UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.
The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.
The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.
Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.
By: Jacob Aggrey
Hot!
NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.
The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.
According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.
The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.
It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.
“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.
The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.
The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.
The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.
By: Jacob Aggrey




