Connect with us

Hot!

La Anobil Basic School needs fencewall …as school children turn old graveyard into playground

Published

on

• Sergeant C. F. Adjetey grave grows with weeds

The pupils of La Anobil Basic School for many years have been compelled to live with the “dead” as a century-old abandoned cemetery serves as a playground and walkway.

The abandoned cemetery with about 70 broken old graves surround­ed by other schools including St Paul’s Primary and Junior High Schools further serves as a walkway for some residents in the area.

The presence of the damaged tomb­stones has become impediment to pupils during play hours.

Mrs Habiba Kutumah, the Municipal Director of Education of La Dadekoto­pon Municipal Assembly (LaDMA) said the situation was very challenging for them especially when visitors came around but there was little they could do as owners of the land were not cooperative in finding solution to the worrying scene.

Advertisement

She said owners of the land re­moved the constructed fence which separated the cemetery from the schools and all efforts to get the area re-fenced had not yielded results.

She said the assembly had been in­formed about the situation and there were plans to put the graveyard back in shape as the school and the assem­bly continued to engage the owners of the land.

When contacted, Mr. Solomon Kotey Nikoi, the Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) admitted the assembly had some years back fenced the area to preserve and protect prominent per­sons buried there but persons claiming ownership of the land did not main­tain it.

He agreed that the grave yard, in its present form, was an eyesore but said the assembly was considering other temporary solutions.

In a brief statement on the issue, the La ‘Shikitele’ or Kingmaker of La, Nii Adjei Akoofeh IV indicated that, the Traditional Council was in charge of all royal and other ceme­teries within the assembly but the issue around the abandoned cemetery would best be handled by the assem­bly.

Advertisement

“Although all royal and other cemeteries are under the care of the Traditional Council, it is also directly under the jurisdiction of the Munici­pal Assembly and they have the final say on how the place is managed” he explained.

He said the only way to ensure safety was proper fencing of the graveyard.

“It is very important the place is properly preserved or the remains be exhumed to a different location to en­able the school children free access to their compound without them having to walk or play around the tombs,” he noted.

The Former MCE of LaDMA and cur­rent Member of Parliament (MP) for La Dade-Kotopon Constituency, Ms. Rita Odoley Sowah said, the place in question was fenced during her time as the MCE.

Advertisement

She agreed the area need­ed proper and stronger wire fencing that could stand the test of time to ward off both school children and the com­munity members.

Mr. Aaron Annan Akronge, the Assembly man of Labone Electoral Area, confirmed the Assembly had, some years ago, fenced the grave yard and provided lighting but the barrier had broken and the lights stolen.

By Victor A. Buxton

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Hot!

UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

Published

on

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.

In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.

The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.

According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.

Advertisement

UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.

The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.

It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.

UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.

Advertisement

The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.

The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.

Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Hot!

NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

Published

on

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.

The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.

According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.

The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.

Advertisement

It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.

“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.

The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.

The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.

Advertisement

The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending