Connect with us

News

‘I was suddenly accused of being in bed with NPP’- Ofosu-Ampofo on losing NDC chair position

Published

on

Ten months after his defeat, the former National Chairman of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) Dr Samuel Ofosu-Ampofo is yet to come to terms with it.

In December last year, he lost his seat to then General Secretary, John Asiedu Nketia. The latter polled 65.17%, while Dr Ofosu-Ampofo got 33.81% votes.

Despite Mr Nketia’s landslide victory, the former chairman said events leading to the contest still haunt him.

According to him, during the contest, there were many speculations about him which he finds difficult to understand.

Advertisement

Dr Ofosu-Ampofo said he was surprised that some party members fabricated things about him even as one of the longest-serving members of the party.

“How on earth could anybody think that I will be in bed with NPP? But all of a sudden my Akyem lineage was brought into question, that I am part of the Akyem mafias. I am in bed with the NPP,” he said.

He said there was a need to sanitise the party to avoid the recurrence of such needless propaganda especially during internal elections.

“From 1992 when this party was organised we haven’t had such an acrimonious environment where press conferences are organised with accusations and insults and all those things. I have not seen it before and I still feel that we need to sanitise the campaign environment when it comes to internal elections,” he said.

Advertisement

Source: Myjoyonline.com

News

Education Ministry orders reinstatement of BOGISS student after alleged sexual abuse

Published

on

The Ministry of Education has condemned the alleged sexual abuse of a 14-year-old student with autism at Bolgatanga Girls’ Senior High School (BOGISS) in the Upper East Region.

The ministry, in a statement issued on August 20, 2026, indicated that two watchmen employed by the school are alleged to have sexually abused the student.

It described the incident as unacceptable and stressed that schools must protect and care for students, particularly children who are vulnerable.

The ministry made it clear that the student cannot be blamed for the alleged abuse.

Advertisement

“The Ministry wishes to state unequivocally that a minor cannot be held responsible for sexual abuse perpetrated against her by an adult,” it stated.

The Minister for Education, Haruna Iddrisu, has directed the Ghana Education Service (GES) to investigate the matter and submit a report immediately.

He has directed the GES to ensure that the student receives the necessary medical care and counselling to support her recovery.

The ministry further directed that the student’s boarding status at BOGISS be restored immediately.

Advertisement

It assured the student’s family and the public that it would work to ensure that justice is served.

The ministry described the incident as an act of indiscipline and reaffirmed its commitment to protecting the safety, dignity and rights of students in schools across the country.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

Nii Lante Vanderpuye apologises to Sammy Gyamfi and NDC over Channel One TV comments

Published

on

Former Deputy Minister for Local Government and NDC aspiring national chairman, Nii Lante Vanderpuye has apologised to GoldBod Chief Executive Officer, Sammy Gyamfi, and the National Democratic Congress (NDC) over comments he made during a discussion on Channel one TV.

In a statement dated August 20, 2026, Mr Vanderpuye acknowledged that his comments during the programme did not properly communicate his intended position.

He explained that he had no intention of undermining Mr Gyamfi or supporting criticisms being directed at him and GoldBod by the opposition.

According to him, his intention was to defend the work of GoldBod and the efforts of its CEO, but he expressed himself in a way that created a different impression.

Advertisement

“For that error of judgement and communication, I am sincerely sorry,” Mr Vanderpuye stated.

He particularly apologised to Mr Gyamfi, describing him as a dedicated member of the NDC who has served the party with courage and commitment.

Mr Vanderpuye also apologised to the leadership, members and grassroots of the NDC who may have been disappointed or hurt by his comments.

He acknowledged that party members expect leaders and those seeking greater responsibility within the NDC to show solidarity, good judgement and loyalty, especially when members and institutions led by them face political attacks.

Advertisement

Mr Vanderpuye further stressed that he has spent a significant part of his political life supporting and fighting for the NDC, including during difficult personal and political periods.

He reaffirmed that the NDC remains his political home and that his loyalty and commitment to the party remain unwavering.

The issue started after the Minority in Parliament, led by Minority Leader Alexander Afenyo Markin, accused GoldBod CEO Sammy Gyamfi of being responsible for an alleged GH¢22 billion loss at the institution.

Mr Gyamfi later responded to the allegations during the government’s accountability series, defending GoldBod and its work.

Advertisement

However, during a discussion on channel one TV, Nii Lante Vanderpuye made some comments that were understood by some people as being critical of Mr Gyamfi and GoldBod.

His comments sparked concerns among some NDC supporters, leading him to apologise to Mr Gyamfi, the party leadership and its members.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending