Connect with us

News

 GES dismisses KNUST SHS assistant headmaster

Published

on

 The corridors of KNUST Senior High School has been silent this week under the weight of a scan­dal that has left parents, teachers, and students reeling.

Mr Charles Akwasi Aidoo, the school’s Assistant Head­master in Charge of Aca­demics, has been dismissed by the Ghana Education Service (GES), following the emergence of a video that allegedly shows him in a compromised situation with a female student.

The footage has ignited a firestorm of anger, disbelief, and soul-searching about what went wrong, and how such a breach of trust could occur in one of the region’s most respected secondary schools.

In view of this, the Gha­na Education Service (GES) wasted no time in dealing with him.

Advertisement

In a strongly worded statement issued on Mon­day, September 29, the GES announced that Mr Aidoo had been immediately relieved of his duties and barred from setting foot on the school premises while a comprehen­sive investigation unfolds.

“The Ghana Education Service views this matter with utmost seriousness,” the statement signed by the Regional Public Relations Of­ficer, Daniel Fenyi, declared.

The GES statement ac­knowledged the need for vig­ilance and indicated that it was committed to upholding the highest standards of pro­fessionalism, discipline, and child protection in all schools while strongly condemning the acts.

According to reliable sourc­es close to the investigative team, the video was re­corded on Mr Aidoo’s mobile phone.

Advertisement

In a twist that reads like a cautionary tale for the digi­tal age, the female student allegedly used the assistant headmaster’s device to capture the footage before transferring it to her’s.

How the video then made its way from that phone to the sprawling networks of WhatsApp groups, Twit­ter, Threads, and Facebook pages remains unclear but its impact has been devastating and swift.

The female student at the centre of the scandal has been removed from the school’s boarding facility.

In the wake of the scandal, the Headmaster, Anthony Duodu-Antwi Boasiako, has issued a message describ­ing the incident as “deeply unfortunate” and called for the entire school community to reflect on the values that should define them.

Advertisement

Adding, he said “teachers must rebuild trust. Parents must be convinced that their children are in safe hands.”

His words, meant to en­courage focus and discipline, have also drawn criticism from child protection experts who argue that the respon­sibility lies squarely with adults in positions of power, not with vulnerable teenag­ers navigating adolescence.

“We cannot place the burden of adult misconduct on children,” said Dr Akosua Mensah, a child psychologist who has worked extensively with schools across Ghana.

“Young people make mistakes, yes. But when an adult in authority exploits that vulnerability, we must be clear about where the fault lies,” she added.

Advertisement

 From Kingsley Hope, Kumasi

Join our WhatsApp Channel now!
https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VbBElzjInlqHhl1aTU27

Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Tain residents in shock as husband allegedly  kills wife, commits suicide

Published

on

Residents of Brodi, a farming community in the Tain District of the Bono Region, have been left in shock and mourning following the alleged murder of a 45-year-old woman by her husband, who later died by suicide. 

According to information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the suspect, popularly known as Kwabena Jack, believed to be in his 50s, allegedly attacked and killed his wife, Abena Donkor, while the couple were working on their farm on Monday, August 11, 2026. 

Mr Kingsley Obah, Assembly Member for the Brodi Electoral Area, confirmed the incident to the GNA. 

He explained that after news of the woman’s  death spread through the community, residents launched a search for the suspect. His lifeless body was later discovered in a nearby bush on Tuesday, August 12, 2026. 

Advertisement

Police have since conveyed both bodies to the Tain District Government Hospital, where they have been deposited for preservation and autopsy. 

Investigations into the incident are ongoing. -GNA 

Continue Reading

News

Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Published

on

Hawkers taken over the pedestrian walkway on the footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.

The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.

Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.

Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.

Advertisement

The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.

Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.

Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.

Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.

Advertisement

After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.

For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.

A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.

According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.

Advertisement

She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.

However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.

The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.

Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II  Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.

Advertisement

Continued on page 12

By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending