News
Forestry Commission condemns mob attack on its timber checkpoint facility

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2026/06/WhatsApp-Image-2026-06-11-at-12.46.15.jpeg&description=Forestry Commission condemns mob attack on its timber checkpoint facility', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2026/06/WhatsApp-Image-2026-06-11-at-12.46.15.jpeg&description=Forestry Commission condemns mob attack on its timber checkpoint facility', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
The Forestry Commission (FC) has condemned the vandalisation and destruction of its newly constructed accommodation facility for timber checkpoint personnel at Babatokuma in the Kintampo Forest District.
The incident occurred on Tuesday, June 9, 2026, at about 3:30 p.m., when an irate mob allegedly attacked the facility, vandalised the structure and subsequently set it ablaze.
A statement issued by the Commission in Accra yesterday and copied to the Ghanaian Times said the facility had been established to accommodate personnel deployed to strengthen the monitoring of the overland movement of timber products and curb the illegal transportation of timber and timber products to neighbouring countries.
According to the statement, the attack was aimed at disrupting efforts by the Commission to enforce forestry regulations and protect the country’s forest resources.
“The Forestry Commission strongly condemns such acts of lawlessness, particularly attacks on its personnel and the destruction of State property. We call on all well-meaning Ghanaians, the security agencies, traditional authorities, the media, civil society organisations and other stakeholders to support efforts to address the growing impunity in the forestry sector,” the statement said.
The Commission described the attack as not only an assault on its personnel and property but also an affront to State authority and a direct attempt to undermine efforts to safeguard Ghana’s forest resources.
It further expressed concern about what it described as a worrying trend of increasing disregard for forest laws and regulations.
“This incident brings to the fore a disturbing pattern of impunity among sections of the public. Similar attacks on Forestry Commission personnel and offices have occurred in the past.
The increasing disregard for forest laws and regulations poses a serious threat to the nation’s forest resources and could have far-reaching ecological and socio-economic consequences if left unchecked,” the statement noted.
The Commission said preliminary information indicated that the attackers claimed the operations of the timber checkpoint posed a threat to their timber business interests in the area.
It said the mob assaulted personnel on duty before forcibly entering the facility, vandalising equipment and setting the newly constructed accommodation block on fire.
The affected officers sustained various degrees of injuries and were subsequently transported to the Kintampo Government Hospital, where they received medical attention.
The incident has since been reported to the Kintampo Divisional Police Command for investigation.
The Forestry Commission said it was working closely with the Police and other security agencies to ensure that the perpetrators, some of whom were captured on video footage, were identified, arrested and prosecuted.
“The Forestry Commission wishes to assure the general public that it remains committed to protecting, developing and sustainably managing the forest and wildlife resources of this country for the benefit of present and future generations,” the statement emphasised.
The Commission reiterated its determination to continue enforcing forestry laws despite the challenges and called for greater public support in combating illegal activities that threaten the nation’s forests and wildlife resources.
By Kingsley Asare
Burnt Office Photo Caption: The burnt accommodation facility for timber checkpoint personnel at Babatokuma in the Kintampo Forest District.
News
Egypt to host inaugural Alamein Africa Forum in new Coastal Smart City

Egypt will host Africa’s new flagship business summit this October, as leaders from across the continent converge in the newly built smart city of New Alamein for the inaugural Alamein Africa Forum.
The forum is scheduled for October 2-4, 2026 in New Alamein, Egypt’s fourth-generation coastal megacity.
The city combines advanced infrastructure, modern residential districts, international universities, cultural landmarks, and major tourism and investment projects under one master plan.
Dubbed “the continent’s premier gathering where political power meets entrepreneurial prowess,” the forum is expected to bring together over 20 African Heads of State and Government, senior leaders from leading international and regional financial institutions, and key players driving transformation across Africa’s most critical sectors.
Co-organised by the Government of Egypt, African Export-Import Bank, and AUDA-NEPAD, the Alamein Africa Forum is designed as a permanent biennial platform to advance strategic partnerships and unlock investment across Africa and global markets.[Afreximbank]
The agenda will focus on sectors defining Africa’s future: infrastructure, energy, digital transformation, manufacturing, critical minerals, health markets, and intra-African trade*.
The programme will feature high-level plenary sessions, sector-focused panels, closed-door roundtables, and structured B2B and B2G meetings aimed at facilitating concrete deals and long-term partnerships.
Special sessions will also highlight Egypt’s role as a regional hub and gateway to African markets.
The inaugural forum will be held in parallel with the 2026 African Union Mid-Year Coordination Meeting and the 33rd Annual Meetings of Afreximbank.
Organizers say the forum will serve as a launchpad to translate the African Union’s 50-year strategic master plan, Agenda 2063, into concrete projects, policies and partnerships that will define Africa’s economic trajectory for the next decade.
“In an era of shifting alliances and rising volatility, Africa can no longer afford to be a bystander in decisions that shape its own economic future,” organizers stated.
The forum aims to place the private-sector agenda at the heart of AU decision-making, lower investment risk, unlock capital, and build cross-border partnerships to strengthen Africa’s resilience to external shocks.
Located on Egypt’s Mediterranean coast, New Alamein represents Egypt’s vision for smart, sustainable urban development. Hosting the forum there is expected to showcase the city as both a symbol of African modernization and a hub for investment and innovation.
By bringing public and private sector leadership into one alliance, the Alamein Africa Forum is positioned to become Africa’s go-to space for turning commitments into implementation.
By Chris KONEY, for Egyptian Embassy, ACCRA.
News
Gomashie urges Bono Region to leverage culture and tourism for growth

Tourism, Culture and Creative Arts Minister, Abla Dzifa Gomashie, has called on stakeholders in the Bono Region to raise the bar on professionalism and patriotism if the region is to unlock its full tourism potential.
Speaking during a familiarisation tour of the region, the Minister met with staff of the Centre for National Culture (CNC) and Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives (MMDCs).
The engagement focused on how to position Bono as a leading cultural and tourism destination in Ghana.
Gomashie challenged public institutions to take a cue from the private sector by improving service delivery and embracing efficiency.
“Our institutions must be intentional about the way we serve the public,” she said, adding that “We need stronger collaboration and public-private partnerships to attract the right investment and build the tourism infrastructure that will make Bono competitive.”
The Minister urged MMDCs to work hand-in-hand with the Ministry and its agencies to identify, develop and promote key tourist attractions in their districts.
She also stressed the importance of preserving cultural heritage while creating an enabling environment for investors in tourism, culture and the creative arts.
The Minister added that “Tourism is not just about beautiful sites. It is about stories, about our heritage, and about the opportunities we create for our people.”
“This work we do today is not for ourselves alone. It is for Ghana and for generations yet unborn,” she noted.
Dzifa Gomashie further called on all stakeholders to build on the foundation inherited from previous leaders and leave behind a stronger, more vibrant sector.
The tour forms part of the Ministry’s efforts to decentralize tourism development and ensure every region benefits from Ghana’s growing creative economy.
By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme








