Connect with us

News

Children with cleft not cursed – CEO of Korle-Bu

Published

on

• Some of the parents with their children cured of cleft condition

Some of the parents with their children cured of cleft condition

     The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital (KBTH), Dr Opoku Ware Ampomah, has asked Ghanaians to disregard myths and misconceptions surrounding children born with cleft, insisting that such children are not cursed.

    According to him, cleft was a med­ical condition that can be corrected by surgery within 45 minutes.

    However, due to stigmatisation, parents of such children often hide them at home, denying them oppor­tunity to receive treatment which later affect them in life.

    Dr Ampomah made the disclosure last week at a press conference to mark the cleft awareness week ob­served on August 26-29, 2024.

    Advertisement

    Operation Smile is a global non­profit service organisation that bridges the gap in access to essential surgeries and health care, starting with cleft surgery and comprehensive care.

    It also provides medical expertise, training, mentorship, research and care through its dedicated staff and volunteers around the world, work­ing alongside local governments, nonprofits and health systems, and supported by generous donors and corporate partner

    The period was one the Operation Smile team will educate Ghanaians on various media platforms.

    According Dr Ampomah most chil­dren with cleft were often said to have been stroked by an evil spirit, cursed, or were children born out of adultery or facing punishment from God.

    Advertisement

    But he indicated that “cleft is not a curse, it is a medical condition that is surgically correctable in a 45 minute surgery.”

    He explained that cleft was a con­dition that occurs in the early stages of pregnancy, resulting the cleft lip or cleft palate.

    Cleft lip is an opening or split in the upper lip that occurs when developing facial structures in an unborn baby do not close completely.

    A cleft palate is an opening or split in the roof of the mouth that occurs when the tissue does not fuse together during development in the womb.

    Advertisement

    He said a child with cleft condition finds it difficult to breast feed, hear or speak and mostly produce nasal sounds when they speak.

    Dr Ampomah, who is also the Medi­cal Director for Operation Smile said the condition was caused genetically while there were also environmental factors that could cause it.

    Some of the environmental factors, he said, were alcohol use, smoking, drug abuse and lack of vitamin B (folic acid) during pregnancy.

    He said heavy metals and toxin from galamsey sites which pollute water bodies could result in cleft problems, adding that “with the ‘galamsey’ activities, I will not be surprised if there are increases in the cleft conditions, we do not have to wait for it to happen.”

    Advertisement

    Dr Ampomah said Operation Smile was the largest provider of cleft care in Ghana since it started operation in 2011, adding that it provides free and safe surgeries to both children and adults.

    He advised women to stop taking unprescribed drugs and visit the hospital when there are challenges to avoid such conditions.

    Mr Henry Quist, the Acting Country Manager of Operation Smile-Ghana, encouraged parents and guardians with cleft children to take advantage of their outreaches to correct the condition.

    According to him, surgery could be performed on babies with cleft lip from three to six months and for those with palate, between nine and 12 months of birth.

    Advertisement

     By Jemima Esinam Kuatsinu

    News

    Tain residents in shock as husband allegedly  kills wife, commits suicide

    Published

    on

    Residents of Brodi, a farming community in the Tain District of the Bono Region, have been left in shock and mourning following the alleged murder of a 45-year-old woman by her husband, who later died by suicide. 

    According to information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the suspect, popularly known as Kwabena Jack, believed to be in his 50s, allegedly attacked and killed his wife, Abena Donkor, while the couple were working on their farm on Monday, August 11, 2026. 

    Mr Kingsley Obah, Assembly Member for the Brodi Electoral Area, confirmed the incident to the GNA. 

    He explained that after news of the woman’s  death spread through the community, residents launched a search for the suspect. His lifeless body was later discovered in a nearby bush on Tuesday, August 12, 2026. 

    Advertisement

    Police have since conveyed both bodies to the Tain District Government Hospital, where they have been deposited for preservation and autopsy. 

    Investigations into the incident are ongoing. -GNA 

    Continue Reading

    News

    Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

    Published

    on

    Hawkers taken over the pedestrian walkway on the footbridge

    Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.

    The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.

    Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.

    Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.

    Advertisement

    The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.

    Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.

    Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.

    Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.

    Advertisement

    After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.

    For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.

    A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.

    According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.

    Advertisement

    She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.

    However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.

    The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.

    Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II  Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.

    Advertisement

    Continued on page 12

    By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu

    Advertisement
    Continue Reading
    Advertisement

    Trending