Connect with us

Hot!

Parliament approves all 4 Supreme Court nominees

Published

on

Parliament has unanimously affirmed the nomination of four persons to the Supreme Court as Justices.

The four, Clemence Jackson Honyenuga and Issifu Omoro Tanko Amadu, Court of Appeal Judges, Emmanuel Yonny Kulendi, private legal practitioner and Professor Henrietta Mensah-Bonsu, last week endured an average of three hours of vetting at the Joseph Osei-Owusu chaired Appointments Committee where their suitability to the apex court was scrutinised. 

Presenting the 26th report of the Appointments Committee to the plenary of Parliament via a motion in Accra yesterday, Mr Osei-Owusu, First Deputy Speaker of Parliament, said the nominees have demonstrated that they merited the nomination. 

“The Committee is satisfied that the nominees have exhibited character, competence, independent thinking and depth of knowledge of the law,” Mr Osei-Owusu, Member for Bekwai told the House.

Advertisement

The nominees, he said, assured the committee of their will to be above partisanship and interpret the law without fear or favour in the discharge of their duties.

The nominees further demonstrated to the committee that the Constitution being a living document would not be interpreted with their biases and that the spirit and letter of the law will prevail for the good of the citizenry, he reported.

“No evidence of corruption, incompetence or bias in the performance of the respective roles in the legal profession was brought before the Committee.

“The committee accordingly finds the nominees suitable to be appointed to the Supreme Court of Ghana,” he urged the House. 

Advertisement

Seconding the motion, the Minority Leader and Ranking Member on the Committee, Haruna Iddrisu, described Prof. Mensah-Bonsu, as “brilliant at law” and someone who has demonstrated “wit and will” and contributed immensely to the criminal jurisprudence of the country. 

He recounted Prof. Mensah-Bonsu’s service to the country dating from the National Reconciliation Commission to her most recent service to mother Ghana in the Ayawaso West Wuogon Commission which probed the gun violence that marred the January 31, 2019 by-election. 

Calling on persons in public service to, at all times, uphold ethical standards in their work, Mr Iddrisu said nobody should hold anything against Justice Honyenuga after apologising at the committee for openly declaring support for President Akufo-Addo’s second term bid.

On Mr Kulendi, the Tamale South MP said the nominee has endeared himself to many in private legal practice, and “we, therefore, recommend his approval as a Justice of the Supreme Court.”

Advertisement

For Abuakwa South MP and Minister for Works and Housing, Samuel Atta Akyea, the quality of the nominees would go a long way to enhance justice delivery in the country. 

North Tongu MP, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, commended the nominees and advocated that they were given the freedom to espouse their personal beliefs in matters regarding gay rights, freedom of religion and human rights without such philosophies being held against them when they became justices of the Supreme Court.

Outlining the criteria for the selection of Supreme Court justices as codified in Article 128(4) of the 1992 Constitution, the Majority Leader, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu urged Parliament to be careful in using other yardstick in assessing the suitability or otherwise of a candidate to the apex court.  

He was happy that after some misunderstanding which threatened the unanimous approval of Justice Honyenuga, the committee had come to a consensus that character, competence, independence of thought and depth of the knowledge of law should be the marking scheme for the nominees. 

Advertisement

BY JULIUS YAO PETETSI

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Hot!

UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

Published

on

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.

In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.

The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.

According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.

Advertisement

UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.

The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.

It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.

UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.

Advertisement

The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.

The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.

Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Hot!

NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

Published

on

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.

The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.

According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.

The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.

Advertisement

It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.

“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.

The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.

The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.

Advertisement

The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending