Connect with us

News

Government urged to invest in Ghanaian innovations

Published

on

• Prof Acakpovi (fifth from left) and other dignitaries with staff of ATU Photo: Lizzy Okai
  • Prof Acakpovi (fifth from left) and other dignitaries with staff of ATU Photo: Lizzy Okai

Academia, industry and the gov­ernment have been urged to come together in order to utlise Ghana­ian innovations to create jobs and foster economic development.

This, according to the Director of CSIR-Institute of Industrial Research (CSIR-IIR), Dr Francis Boateng Agyemin, would ensure that innovations and skills of Ghanaian youth were not left untapped.

Dr Agyenim was speaking at the Second Chief Executive Officers (CEOs) Lecture Series organised by the Accra Technical University (ATU) under the theme: ‘Innovation and Entrepreneur­ship Ecosystem,’ on Tuesday as part of their 75th anniversary celebrations.

He added that, several innovative ideas have been left untouched and Ghana would suffer the consequences if the situation does not change.

He said technical education played a crucial role in shaping the future of the country and government must focus on that sector.

Advertisement

“Through the support of the govern­ment, we can have an innovation drive where every Ghanaian youth can excel and support development,” he stated.

He urged the ATU to continuously en­gage in research with professors lead­ing the charge, and liaise with industry and government to translate same into creating jobs.

Also speaking on the day was the Executive Chairman of Celltel Networks Limited, Dr Prince Kofi Kludjeson who mentioned that Ghana was not a broke country but only suffering from the con­sequences of not utilising innovations and youthful ideas to propel develop­ment.

He said it was possible to ensure that all students have a device with connect­ed data or wifi to use at all times for research and innovation purposes.

Advertisement

“We need to empower Ghanaian students, learn on their own and assist in the transformation of the country,” he stressed.

Technical Universities, he said, were the foundation of Ghana’s develop­ment, hence the need to take a step back and nurture innovations.

He commended the ATU for the ses­sion, adding that, more of such should be held and essentially engage the government for practical collaborations.

The Ag. Vice Chancellor of the ATU, Prof. Amevi Acakpovi, expressed appreciation to the speakers for their insightful presentations which would go a long way to support their efforts towards impacting the country through innovations.

Advertisement

The ATU, he said had been at the forefront as far as innovations are con­cerned and engaged in activities includ­ing Artificial Intelligence (AI) training for staff, establishing a Center of Entrepre­neurship and Innovation as well as an AI Digital Laboratory at the ATU.

 By Michael D. Abayateye

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

News

Tain residents in shock as husband allegedly  kills wife, commits suicide

Published

on

Residents of Brodi, a farming community in the Tain District of the Bono Region, have been left in shock and mourning following the alleged murder of a 45-year-old woman by her husband, who later died by suicide. 

According to information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the suspect, popularly known as Kwabena Jack, believed to be in his 50s, allegedly attacked and killed his wife, Abena Donkor, while the couple were working on their farm on Monday, August 11, 2026. 

Mr Kingsley Obah, Assembly Member for the Brodi Electoral Area, confirmed the incident to the GNA. 

He explained that after news of the woman’s  death spread through the community, residents launched a search for the suspect. His lifeless body was later discovered in a nearby bush on Tuesday, August 12, 2026. 

Advertisement

Police have since conveyed both bodies to the Tain District Government Hospital, where they have been deposited for preservation and autopsy. 

Investigations into the incident are ongoing. -GNA 

Continue Reading

News

Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Published

on

Hawkers taken over the pedestrian walkway on the footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.

The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.

Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.

Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.

Advertisement

The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.

Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.

Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.

Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.

Advertisement

After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.

For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.

A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.

According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.

Advertisement

She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.

However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.

The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.

Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II  Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.

Advertisement

Continued on page 12

By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending