Connect with us

News

Explorer’s 60-Day Tuk-Tuk Tour Promotes Ghana Tourism and Raises Support for Deaf and Blind Schools

Published

on

• Atimpoku, Eastern Region
• Atimpoku, Eastern Region

Ghanaian explorer and author Princess Umul Hatiyya Ibrahim Mahama has embarked on a 60-day nationwide tour across Ghana in a tuk-tuk to promote tourism, showcase local communities, and raise funds to support deaf and blind schools across the country.

The initiative, dubbed ‘60-Day Drive Across Ghana on a Tuk-Tuk,’ seeks to position Ghana as a destination for meaningful tourism while drawing attention to the educational and infrastructure needs of children with disabilities.

The expedition, which began in Accra in May, will cover all 16 regions of Ghana, more than 100 communities, over 20 tourist attractions, and approximately 5,000 kilometres before its completion.

Speaking in Tamale during the Northern Regional leg of the journey, Princess Umul said the project was inspired by her extensive travels to more than 90 countries across five continents and her belief that Ghana’s greatest tourism asset is the warmth and hospitality of its people.

She said, that the initiative aims to promote domestic tourism, increase visibility for community-based tourism enterprises, encourage patronage of Made-in-Ghana products, and raise GH¢10 million over a five-year period to support infrastructure improvements in ten schools for deaf and blind children.

Advertisement

She said, apart from the leaking roofs, broken ceilings and infrastructure defects in Savelugu School for the Deaf, the school has also been invaded by bats, making the stench unbearable.

“The journey has not been easy, but the purpose behind it keeps us moving. We are appealing to individuals, institutions, and corporate organisations to support this initiative so that together we can improve educational opportunities for children with disabilities while promoting Ghana’s tourism potential,” she said.

She said, departing Accra on May 17, the team has travelled through parts of the Greater Accra, Eastern, Volta, Oti, Northern and Savannah regions, covering more than 2,035 kilometres.

Md. Hatiyya said, tourism sites visited include the James Town Lighthouse and Kwame Nkrumah Memorial Park in Accra, Lake Volta at Akwamufie, Mount Gemi at Amedzofe, Kyabobo National Park in the Oti Region, the Dambai Ferry Port, Bontanga Dam in the Northern Region, and the Salaga Slave Market Museum in the Savannah Region.

As part of the expedition, the team has also engaged traditional authorities, community leaders, local government officials and tourism stakeholders to discuss opportunities for strengthening tourism development and preserving Ghana’s cultural heritage.

Among the traditional leaders visited are the Kumbungu Naa, Yo Naa of Savelugu, Tibung Lana, Dalun Lana and Zangbalung Na.

Advertisement

Princess Hatiyya described visits to the Savelugu School for the Deaf and interactions with hearing-impaired adults in the northern Region said, was one of the most memorable moments of the journey so far.

She noted that the encounters had reinforced the importance of investing in facilities and opportunities for children and persons living with disabilities.

The expedition she said, has also attracted significant public attention, with residents, motorists and market traders expressing interest in the campaign and making donations towards its objectives.

According to Princess Hatiyya, the project will culminate in a documentary series and a 30-minute film highlighting Ghana’s tourism assets, cultural heritage, community stories and the experiences encountered during the journey.

Advertisement

The organisers expect the initiative to contribute to increased visibility for tourism destinations, stimulate interest in domestic travel, promote cultural preservation and encourage greater investment in tourism infrastructure and community development.

Princess Umul Hatiyya commended donors and supporters who have contributed to the initiative and appealed for additional support to help achieve its fundraising target for deaf and blind schools across the country.

She expressed confidence that the journey would not only showcase Ghana’s tourism potential but also inspire greater national support for children living with disabilities.

“We have witnessed extraordinary kindness and hospitality from Ghanaians throughout this journey. It confirms that Ghana has a unique story to tell the world, and we are proud to be sharing that story one community at a time,” she said.

Advertisement

From:  Geoffrey Buta, Tamale.

News

Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Published

on

Hawkers taken over the pedestrian walkway on the footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.

The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.

Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.

Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.

Advertisement

The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.

Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.

Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.

Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.

Advertisement

After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.

For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.

A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.

According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.

Advertisement

She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.

However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.

The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.

Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II  Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.

Advertisement

Continued on page 12

By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

AHISCOSA 1993-year group pays courtesy call on MD of NTC

Published

on

Mr Eshun (middle) presenting a gift to Dr Okpoti Nai (right) during the visit. With them are Mrs Quaittoo (second from right), Rev Canon Dr Lt Col Lokko (second from left) and Ms Tetteh Photo Lizzy Okai

The 1993 Class of Accra High School Old Students Association (AHISCOSA) on Tuesday paid a courtesy call on the Managing Director (MD) of New Times Corporation (NTC), Dr Isaac Okpoti Nai to congratulate him on his appointment as MD and assure him of the association’s support.

The delegation of the year group also known as Onukpai 1993, was led by the President of the association, Mr Robert Amissah Eshun, lecturer at the Accra Technical University (ATU). Others were Mrs Elizabeth Sonia Tetteh, Senior Assistant Registrar at ATU and Rev. Canon Dr Lt. Col. Francis Obodai Lokko, Southern Command Chaplain of the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF).

The President congratulated Dr Nai, who is also a member of the 1993-year group describing his appointment as a source of pride for the year group and the entire school.

“Your appointment as Managing Director is not only your personal achievement, it is a win for Accra High School and for the Class of 1993,” the President said.

According to Mr Eshun the group is proud to see one of its own rise from the classrooms, dormitories and assembly grounds of AHISCO to lead one of Ghana’s major media organisations.

Advertisement

“We remember you not just as our classmate, but as one of us who carried the Accra High School values with you: discipline, excellence and service,” he noted and added that “Dr Okpoti Nai demonstrated discipline, tenacity and excellence during his school days, qualities which, had prepared him for the leadership responsibility he now occupies.”

The delegation assured Dr Nai of their support through prayer, goodwill and other forms of assistance as he carried the name, values and reputation of AHISCO into his new role.

They further urged the MD to lead with wisdom, integrity and strength, while expressing the hope that his tenure would bring growth and development to NTC and create opportunities for others to rise.

The Class of 1993 also presented a gift to Dr Okpoti Nai as a symbol of their appreciation and continued support.

In response, Dr Nai thanked the delegation for the visit and said he was grateful for the gesture and the confidence they had reposed in him.

Advertisement

He encouraged them to subscribe to the Corporation’s e-newspapers, www.timesnewsplus.com, to support its growth.

The Editor of The Spectator, Mrs Georgina Naa-Maku Quaittoo, who is also an old student of AHISCO, of the Onukpai 1989-year group expressed appreciation to the delegation for their visit and encouraged them to support the Corporation by buying and reading its newspapers, The Spectator (TS) and The Ghanaian Times (GT).

Rev. Canon Dr Lt. Col. Lokko, prayed for God to grant the MD wisdom, strength, good health and integrity as he leads the corporation.

“May your tenure bring growth to the corporation and may it also open doors for others to excel,” he prayed.

Advertisement

By Linda Abrefi Wadie

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending