News
Disease outbreaks stem from system failures, not border issues – Prof. Ernest Kenu:

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2026/06/WhatsApp-Image-2026-06-26-at-16.54.10-1000x600.jpeg&description=Disease outbreaks stem from system failures, not border issues – Prof. Ernest Kenu:', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2026/06/WhatsApp-Image-2026-06-26-at-16.54.10-1000x600.jpeg&description=Disease outbreaks stem from system failures, not border issues – Prof. Ernest Kenu:', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
The Head of the Department of Epidemiology and Disease Control at the University of Ghana, Professor Ernest Kenu, has warned that infectious diseases continue to spread in Ghana not because of weak border controls but due to failures within the country’s health and sanitation systems.
Delivering his inaugural lecture at the University of Ghana’s Great Hall on Thursday, June 25, under the theme, “Disease Smuggling: The Unseen Cargo in Global Health Security – Lessons from Cholera and COVID-19 in Ghana,” Prof. Kenu said disease-causing germs move silently through contaminated water, poor sanitation, overcrowded spaces and weak surveillance systems.
According to him, Ghana’s first documented cholera case was recorded in September 1970 after a traveller from Togo collapsed at the then Accra International Airport.
However, he said the outbreak’s actual source was a Ghanaian fisherman who had died in Togo and whose body was brought back home by relatives, unknowingly carrying the cholera bacteria.
Since then, he said, Ghana has recorded more than 15 cholera outbreaks, with poor sanitation continuing to fuel the disease.
Prof. Kenu disclosed that in 2014, Greater Accra alone recorded 20,199 cholera cases and that nearly 80 per cent of the country’s index cases were linked to prior travel to the capital.
He further revealed that during the 2016 cholera outbreak in Cape Coast, visiting a treatment centre increased a person’s chances of becoming infected by twelve times, turning healthcare facilities into centres of transmission.
The epidemiologist stressed that simple handwashing with soap and running water could reduce diarrhoeal diseases by between 32 and 48 per cent and provide a return of two dollars for every one dollar invested in handwashing programmes.
Touching on the COVID-19 pandemic, Prof. Kenu said the virus entered Ghana in March 2020 through travellers from Turkey and Norway.
He said the government responded quickly by closing the country’s borders, imposing restrictions and introducing enhanced surveillance measures, including testing everyone living within a one-to-two-kilometre radius of a confirmed case.
According to him, studies on the first 17,763 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Ghana showed that nearly 80 per cent of infected persons had no symptoms, allowing the virus to spread unnoticed.
He revealed that only 12.3 per cent of people observed proper hand hygiene in public spaces, while nearly 60 per cent of people wore face masks incorrectly during the pandemic.
Prof. Kenu said delays in laboratory test results, which in some cases lasted up to 10 days, also contributed to the spread of the virus.
He noted that when Ghana reopened its borders, health authorities successfully integrated COVID-19 surveillance into the country’s existing influenza-like illness surveillance system, improving efficiency and strengthening disease monitoring.
In an unexpected development, Prof. Kenu said a Phase II clinical trial for a new cholera treatment conducted between 2021 and 2023 failed because there were no patients to enrol.
He explained that the improved handwashing and hygiene practices introduced during the COVID-19 pandemic had reduced cholera transmission so significantly that the trial ended without recording a single cholera case.
The professor noted that poor sanitation and inadequate hygiene practices currently cost Ghana between US$290 million and US$500 million annually, representing about 1.6 per cent of the country’s Gross Domestic Product.
Warning of future threats, Prof. Kenu said Ghana could face outbreaks from antimicrobial-resistant cholera strains, new coronavirus variants, Ebola or other unknown diseases emerging from environmental and ecological changes.
He called on the country to invest in field epidemiology training, decentralised laboratory systems, community-based surveillance and integrated digital disease monitoring systems.
“Disease smuggling will never stop at passport control points. It ends when our systems function effectively and when every citizen becomes part of disease surveillance,” he stated.
Prof. Kenu urged authorities to improve access to safe water, strengthen sanitation systems, enforce infection prevention measures in health facilities and promote proper handwashing practices to protect the country from future outbreaks.
Chairperson of the event and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ghana, Professor Nana Aba Appiah Amfo, said Professor Kenu’s lecture had highlighted the fact that some of the world’s greatest public health threats are often invisible and can spread silently if systems are not prepared to respond.
She noted that the lessons from Ghana’s experiences with cholera and COVID-19 showed the importance of investing in strong health systems, disease surveillance and preventive measures to protect lives and livelihoods.
Prof. Amfo further urged policymakers, researchers and the public to apply the lessons from the lecture by prioritising public health and strengthening the country’s preparedness for future disease outbreaks, stressing that health security is a shared responsibility.
By: Jacob Aggrey
News
Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.
The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.
Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.
Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.
The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.
Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.
Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.
Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.
After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.
For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.
A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.
According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.
She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.
However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.
The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.
Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.
Continued on page 12
By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu
News
AHISCOSA 1993-year group pays courtesy call on MD of NTC

The 1993 Class of Accra High School Old Students Association (AHISCOSA) on Tuesday paid a courtesy call on the Managing Director (MD) of New Times Corporation (NTC), Dr Isaac Okpoti Nai to congratulate him on his appointment as MD and assure him of the association’s support.
The delegation of the year group also known as Onukpai 1993, was led by the President of the association, Mr Robert Amissah Eshun, lecturer at the Accra Technical University (ATU). Others were Mrs Elizabeth Sonia Tetteh, Senior Assistant Registrar at ATU and Rev. Canon Dr Lt. Col. Francis Obodai Lokko, Southern Command Chaplain of the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF).
The President congratulated Dr Nai, who is also a member of the 1993-year group describing his appointment as a source of pride for the year group and the entire school.
“Your appointment as Managing Director is not only your personal achievement, it is a win for Accra High School and for the Class of 1993,” the President said.
According to Mr Eshun the group is proud to see one of its own rise from the classrooms, dormitories and assembly grounds of AHISCO to lead one of Ghana’s major media organisations.


“We remember you not just as our classmate, but as one of us who carried the Accra High School values with you: discipline, excellence and service,” he noted and added that “Dr Okpoti Nai demonstrated discipline, tenacity and excellence during his school days, qualities which, had prepared him for the leadership responsibility he now occupies.”
The delegation assured Dr Nai of their support through prayer, goodwill and other forms of assistance as he carried the name, values and reputation of AHISCO into his new role.
They further urged the MD to lead with wisdom, integrity and strength, while expressing the hope that his tenure would bring growth and development to NTC and create opportunities for others to rise.
The Class of 1993 also presented a gift to Dr Okpoti Nai as a symbol of their appreciation and continued support.
In response, Dr Nai thanked the delegation for the visit and said he was grateful for the gesture and the confidence they had reposed in him.
He encouraged them to subscribe to the Corporation’s e-newspapers, www.timesnewsplus.com, to support its growth.
The Editor of The Spectator, Mrs Georgina Naa-Maku Quaittoo, who is also an old student of AHISCO, of the Onukpai 1989-year group expressed appreciation to the delegation for their visit and encouraged them to support the Corporation by buying and reading its newspapers, The Spectator (TS) and The Ghanaian Times (GT).
Rev. Canon Dr Lt. Col. Lokko, prayed for God to grant the MD wisdom, strength, good health and integrity as he leads the corporation.
“May your tenure bring growth to the corporation and may it also open doors for others to excel,” he prayed.
By Linda Abrefi Wadie








