News
AMA kicks off major decongestion exercise in Accra

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2025/05/1001486950-1000x600.jpg&description=AMA kicks off major decongestion exercise in Accra', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2025/05/1001486950-1000x600.jpg&description=AMA kicks off major decongestion exercise in Accra', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
The Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) on Tuesday, May 20, 2025, officially commenced a long-anticipated decongestion exercise across major parts of the Central Business District (CBD) to clear unauthorised trading activities from pavements and on the streets.
The operation, which began at 4:00 a.m. and was supervised by the Mayor of Accra, Michael Kpakpo Allotey, targeted Kinbu Street and extended through Makola, CMB, Circle, and Kaneshie.




In an interaction with hawkers, during the exercise, Mayor Allotey reiterated that the operation was a necessity, not an act of aggression, stressing that it aimed to clean Accra and make it a model capital for the sub-region.
He used the opportunity to announce several measures under the government’s 24-hour economy agenda, including the installation of solar-powered streetlights and a new rotational trading system that would allow traders to sell for longer hours on selected days.
He announced plans to select trader leaders to oversee sanitation responsibilities in various trading enclaves, warning that failure to keep areas clean would result in severe penalties, including confiscation of wares.
Addressing some transport operators who have taken over portions of the streets for loading, the Mayor cautioned them to stay away from loading on the streets and move into the stations for safety, saying, “You’re the same people now causing the problem.”
“Some of you complain politicians are destroying the country, but what you’re doing here is also wrong. If we destroy this city, we’ll all suffer,” he cautioned.
Briefing the media after the initial rounds of enforcement, Mr.Allotey emphasised that the exercise was not a nine-day wonder or designed to frustrate traders, but to restore order and dignity to the capital.
“We are not here to sack anyone. The President didn’t appoint me to mistreat traders. That’s why I speak to you with humility and explain our plans. For today, we won’t seize your items. But from tomorrow, if we find you violating the rules, we will confiscate your goods and give them to charity,” he warned.
The Mayor assured traders of his open-door policy, urging them not to retaliate when they encounter misconduct from city guards.
“If any AMA worker offends you, don’t fight them. Come directly to my office — you don’t need an appointment. I am the Mayor for the people,” he said.
While touring the Circle area, Mayor Kpakpo Allotey revealed plans to construct affordable mini shops for hawkers along cleared areas to offer a more sustainable trading option.
The Municipal Chief Executive (MCE) for the Korle Klottey Municipal Assembly (KoKMA), Alfred Ato Allotey-Gaisie, commended the traders for the level of cooperation received, noting that the operation had been largely successful.
“We started from the Kinbu area and moved through Makola, CMB, Circle, and Kaneshie. Especially at Kaneshie, we saw that traders had moved back to the demarcated areas. The bridge is completely cleared,” he said.
Mr.Gaisie stressed that the operation would continue daily until Friday to ensure full compliance, clarifying that not all traders would be moved entirely from the streets.
“We’ll do the same thing tomorrow and the day after. Our aim is not to harass anyone, but to ensure free movement for both pedestrians and vehicles. Already, we’ve seen massive improvement today. We’ve drawn a red line and will arrange traders along it. We’re not displacing everyone,” he stated.
He also hinted at a rotational system for trading in congested zones such as Katamanto and parts of the CBD, proposing two designated days in a week where traders can operate along certain streets into the night.
“This will help them earn their income without returning to illegal spots. We don’t want to frustrate anyone. Everyone has the right to feed their families — but we also have a responsibility to maintain law and order,” Mr. Gaisie noted.
News
Tain residents in shock as husband allegedly kills wife, commits suicide
Residents of Brodi, a farming community in the Tain District of the Bono Region, have been left in shock and mourning following the alleged murder of a 45-year-old woman by her husband, who later died by suicide.
According to information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the suspect, popularly known as Kwabena Jack, believed to be in his 50s, allegedly attacked and killed his wife, Abena Donkor, while the couple were working on their farm on Monday, August 11, 2026.
Mr Kingsley Obah, Assembly Member for the Brodi Electoral Area, confirmed the incident to the GNA.
He explained that after news of the woman’s death spread through the community, residents launched a search for the suspect. His lifeless body was later discovered in a nearby bush on Tuesday, August 12, 2026.
Police have since conveyed both bodies to the Tain District Government Hospital, where they have been deposited for preservation and autopsy.
Investigations into the incident are ongoing. -GNA
News
Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.
The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.
Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.
Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.
The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.
Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.
Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.
Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.
After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.
For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.
A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.
According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.
She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.
However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.
The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.
Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.
Continued on page 12
By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu






