Hot!
Alhaji Salifu Abdul-Rahaman appointed The Ghanaian Times Editor

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2025/08/Appointment-Alhaji-Salifu-Abdul-Rahaman.jpg&description=Alhaji Salifu Abdul-Rahaman appointed The Ghanaian Times Editor', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2025/08/Appointment-Alhaji-Salifu-Abdul-Rahaman.jpg&description=Alhaji Salifu Abdul-Rahaman appointed The Ghanaian Times Editor', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
Alhaji Salifu Abdul-Rahaman has been appointed as the substantive Editor of The Ghanaian Times.
His appointment, which took effect from Friday, August 1, 2025, followed approval by the Board and Management of the New Times Corporation (NTC), after months of searching to replace the former Editor, Mr Dave Agbenu.
A letter signed by Mr Martin Adu-Owusu, the Managing Director of the NTC, and sighted by the news desk said: “Reference to your application for the advertised position of Editor of The Ghanaian Times Newspaper and successful interview dated July 16, 2025, we are pleased to appoint you as Editor of the newspaper effective August 1, 2025. Congratulations on your new role!”
Prior to his appointment, Alhaji Abdul-Rahaman served in the capacity as Acting Editor of the newspaper for nearly seven months.
Risen through
the ranks
Having risen through the ranks as a cub reporter, Chief Reporter, Assistant Editor, Senior Assistant Editor and Deputy Editor of the newspaper. Alhaji, as he is affectionately called by his colleagues, comes to his new position with a wealth of experience under his belt.
He was officially employed in October 2003, after serving as a stringer for a couple of years with the Corporation and as he puts it, “I have over the years gained a wealth of in-depth experience in news gathering, editing, and editorial management, as well as institutional memory.”
“It is with great excitement that I am confirmed as Editor after seven months of unwavering dedication to duty as Acting Editor. I express my gratitude to Allah (God), and to the Board, Management, and workers of the NTC for their unflinching support and cooperation in my journey so far,” he told this reporter.
Alhaji Abdul-Rahaman said his goal was to help the NTC retain its loyal readership and reposition The Ghanaian Times as the most preferred newspaper in terms of accuracy, readership, and business, in today’s highly competitive media landscape.
This, he explained, aligns with the NTC’s vision of being the most reliable and sustainably profitable multimedia business organisation in Ghana, West Africa, and beyond.
Committment
“I am deeply committed to the values of ethical journalism, professionalism, and innovation. I will continue to work with the Editorial team and Management to strengthen our news-gathering and dissemination systems and uphold The Ghanaian Times’ editorial independence and credibility,” he said.
With a renewed sense of purpose, he is expected to bring his wealth of experience and institutional knowledge to provide the Editorial team with exemplary leadership and technical direction into the next chapter of excellence, in line with the newspaper’s slogan: The Most Authoritative Newspaper—the reader’s preferred medium of news and information.
Prior to joining the journalism profession, Alhaji Abdul-Rahaman worked from 1990 to 1997 as a field worker at the Navrongo Health Research Centre, rising through the ranks to become a Principal Field Supervisor.
His early work included the Ghana Vitamin A Supplementation Trial (Ghana VAST), which contributed to improving the health of study subjects in the Kassena-Nankana area of the Upper East Region.
During his time at the Navrongo Health Research Centre, he worked under Dr Fred Binka now Professor (Emeritus), a renowned epidemiologist and Chair of the Ghana Health Service Governing Board on the Mosquito Bed Net Studies, which later influenced national health policy.
Alhaji Abdul-Rahaman holds a Diploma in Journalism and a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies from the Ghana Institute of Journalism, now the University of Media, Arts and Communication (UNIMAC).
He also holds a Master of Social Studies degree from the prestigious University of Ghana, Legon and is a proud alumnus of Navrongo Senior High School (NABIA), Northern School of Business in Tamale and Zamse Secondary Technical School in Bolgatanga .
Alhaji Abdul-Rahaman is a member of the Ghana Journalists Association and served on the Inter-Ministerial Ad Hoc Committee at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the planning and execution of activities to mark United Nations Day and the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers.
Awards
He has a number of awards and honours to his credit.
Notably, he received the UNICEF and Department of Children’s award for his article “Female Genital Mutilation is Outmoded”, published in the April 18, 2002 issue of the Daily Graphic.
He is also a proud recipient of an award from the Africa Media and Malaria Research Network.
Additionally, he received a certificate for successfully participating in the High-Level Partnership Programme for Economic Development Strategy (Ghana), held from August 16 to August 22, 2015 in South Korea.
Among the high-profile assignments he has covered include; the National Reconciliation Commission, the Bediako Commission on Pension Reforms, the Ghana@50 Commission of Enquiry, the Georgina Wood Committee investigations into the disappearance of cocaine from the MV Benjamin vessel, proceedings of the Parliament of Ghana, and the Pan-African Parliament in Midrand, South Africa.
Alhaji Abdul-Rahaman has also covered international assignments in South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Niger, and Togo.
BY TIMES REPORTER
Hot!
UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.
In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.
The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.
According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.
UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.
The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.
It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.
UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.
The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.
The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.
Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.
By: Jacob Aggrey
Hot!
NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.
The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.
According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.
The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.
It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.
“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.
The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.
The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.
The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.
By: Jacob Aggrey




