Connect with us

Hot!

Tension brews at Egyambra in Ahanta West

Published

on

Families are supposed to pay money and drinks befor burying the dead

There is simmering tension at Egyambra, a farming community in the Ahanta West Municipality of the Western Region as 21 families are up in arms with the Chief of the area, Nana KofiAmo lll, who has ordered the bereaved families to pay money and drinks (Nkae Nsa) before they bury their dead relations.

As a result, the families have petitioned the Police Administration to intervene immediately as the matter could degenerate into anarchy, and called for the transfer of the Municipal Police Commander, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Valentine Akposu for failing to ensure peaceful settlement of the issue at stake.

The letter dated May 5, 2022, and written by their counsel, Mr Yaw Anokye Frimpong from John Konny Chambers to the Director, Police Professional and Standard Bureau (PIPS), Accra, was copied to the  Western Regional Minister,  Regional Police Commander, Regional Crime Officer, as The Spectator source disclosed.

The stalemate over the matter stems from the directive by Nana Kofi Amo III that, the families should pay ‘Nkae nsa’, that is money and drinks,  else they would not be permitted to bury their dead ones.

Advertisement

“It is our fervent hope that you would treat the matter with the urgency it deserves so that the people of Egyambra can put fear behind them, especially where they allege that, some time ago, one of their  people was killed through acid dousing by some unknown persons.” counsel pleaded.

The petition recalled that on April 4, 2022, the families through their counsel,  wrote a  petition to the Western Regional Police Commander to take immediate steps to avert what could be a volatile situation  at Egyambra.

It submitted that, Nana Amo III with the backing of Ahanta Omanhene, Nana Baidoe Bonsoe XV, informed them that anyone who failed to pay him the ‘Nkae Nsa’ upon the death of their relative would not be permitted to bury the corpse at the public cemetery and any attempt to disobey the order would be met with the pouring of acid or any deadly substance on them.

The letter further said that, the Regional Police Commander acted swiftly on the matter and that the Municipal Security Committee (MUSEC) organised a meeting on April 26, 2022, but, surprisingly,  the Municipal Police Commander directed the aggrieved people to settle the matter with Nana  Amo III, otherwise the chief would be right in using his machomen and other agents to pester them.

Advertisement

 Further, the Police Commander, they complained,  failed to take note of a more recent High Court  judgement which tried the merit of the same ‘nkae nsa’ payment that the chief lost.

The lawyers stressed “Our clients say after the comments made by the aforesaid officer, the chief sent some youth to Egyambra with substances believed to be acid, blatantly displaying same at the public cemetery to scare mourners from burying their dead.

“We have instructions from our clients to report the conduct of the police officer to you for further investigations and possible transfer from the area because he has demonstrated that he cannot do anything to bring peace to the place he is serving,” the petitioners said.

Meanwhile, in the letter to the Western Regional  Police Commander, dated April 4, the Egyambra families wrote that,  since their ancestors migrated from various locations to settle at Egyambra stool land 40 years ago, the custom had been to pay the said notification  drink to  the Amantwe family which owned that cemetery lands, whether “it is an Amantwe candidate  who occupies the Egyambra stool.”

Advertisement

Responding, Nana Amo acknowledged the court ruling on whether he holds the capacity to exact the nkae nsa but, explained that the Abusuapanyin could receive same.

“The families have buried some of the dead elsewhere and we know that there will be a burial on Friday, June 17 at Egyambra.” he told The Spectator.

From Clement Adzei Boye, Takoradi

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Hot!

UGMC disputes Michael Blackson’s claims over late mother’s treatment

Published

on

The University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) has disputed claims made on social media by comedian Michael Blackson concerning the treatment given to his late mother, saying a review found that the allegations did not accurately reflect what happened during her stay at the hospital.

In a statement issued in Accra on August 5, 2026, the management of UGMC expressed condolences to Mr. Blackson and his family over the death of his 83-year-old mother, who died at the facility on July 16, 2026.

The hospital said it had taken the concerns raised by Mr. Blackson seriously and conducted a thorough review in line with its clinical and administrative procedures.

According to the statement, the facts presented by Mr. Blackson on social media contained “numerous inaccuracies” and did not accurately reflect the medical care provided to his mother.

Advertisement

UGMC explained that she was referred to the facility from another hospital and received treatment there from May 27 to July 16, 2026, a period of about eight weeks.

The hospital stated that it would not release details of her diagnosis, treatment, medical records or other aspects of her care because it had a duty to protect patient confidentiality, even after death.

It said the decision was intended to respect the dignity of the deceased and the privacy of her family.

UGMC further stated that all clinical decisions at the facility are made by qualified healthcare professionals based on medical judgment, established standards of care and the best interests of the patient.

Advertisement

The statement added that such decisions are made in consultation with authorised family representatives where necessary and that billing and financial procedures are governed by institutional policies and are separate from clinical decision-making.

The hospital noted that it values feedback from patients and their families and considers both positive and negative comments important for improving the quality of care.

Mr. Blackson had earlier used social media to criticise the care his mother received at UGMC, prompting the hospital’s response.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Hot!

NPP suspends Greater Accra campaigns ahead of “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration

Published

on

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has directed all aspirants campaigning in the Greater Accra Region to suspend their campaign activities on August 5 and 6 and instead mobilise supporters for the party’s planned “Democracy Under Attack” demonstration.

The directive was issued by the party’s National Steering Committee in a statement signed by the NPP General Secretary, Justin Kodua Frimpong, on Tuesday.

According to the statement, the decision forms part of efforts to ensure a strong turnout for the demonstration, which is scheduled for Thursday, August 6, 2026.

The party said the protest would begin at 5:00 a.m., with participants expected to gather at the Supreme Court in Accra.

Advertisement

It further directed Regional, Constituency and Polling Station Executives in Greater Accra to work closely to mobilise members and supporters for the event.

“The National Steering Committee is calling on all aspirants currently campaigning across the Greater Accra Region to temporarily suspend their campaign activities on the 5th and 6th of August and join in mobilising support for the upcoming demonstration,” the statement noted.

The NPP appealed to party members and supporters to remain peaceful, disciplined and orderly throughout the protest.

The demonstration forms part of the party’s response to concerns it has raised over issues relating to Ghana’s democratic governance and the justice system.

Advertisement

The NPP leadership expressed confidence that party members would cooperate fully to ensure a successful and peaceful event.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending