News
Low budget, teacher absenteeism, causes of poor performance in basic School.

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2024/10/UNICEF-education-team-and-journalists-at-the-event-1000x600.jpg&description=Low budget, teacher absenteeism, causes of poor performance in basic School.', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2024/10/UNICEF-education-team-and-journalists-at-the-event-1000x600.jpg&description=Low budget, teacher absenteeism, causes of poor performance in basic School.', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
UNICEF education team and journalists at the event
The decline in budget allocation for Ghana’s basic education sector and high rate of teacher absenteeism have been identified as some of the major causes for the drop in performance of school children at that level of education.
According to a United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) statistics, a significant decline in basic school allocation has been recorded in recent years, explaining that in 2019, 39 per cent of the education budget was allocated to basic education, but that figure dropped to 19.6 per cent in 2024.
This came to light last week Thursday at the third UNICEF Media Café addressed by the Chief of the UNICEF Education team, Ms Christin McConnell.
According to her, about 98 per cent of the current budget allocated to basic education is spent on salaries, leaving little room for resources such as infrastructure, learning materials, and teacher training which she said had directly impacted the quality of education received by children.
Also, she stated that about 11 per cent of teachers are absent from school on any given day across all the levels, contributing to the non-effective learning for almost six years.
Despite these challenges, Ms McConnell noted that there had been significant progress in early childhood education with over 120,000 kindergarten children receiving basic learning materials and health screening as part of an initiative dubbed, ‘My First Day at School.’
She further stated that UNICEF’s differentiated learning programme which aims at providing remedial education to struggling students has also been instrumental in improving quality and early childhood education.
An Education Officer at UNICEF Ghana, Ms Rhoda Enchill speaking on access and inclusion in education disclosed that an estimated 40,000 children with disabilities in Ghana had never attended school.
According to her, the figure underscores the ongoing challenges faced by children with special needs in accessing education, despite government efforts to make school more inclusive.
She mentioned that 1.2 million children aged between four and 17 were still out of school across Ghana, adding that the figure included 623,000 primary school-aged children who are not enrolled.
Ms Enchill said despite the progress made in access to education, foundational learning levels remain low explaining that children were still struggling to read at the grade levels.
She indicated that results from the 2022 National Standard Test (NCT) revealed that only five out of 10 children in grade four could read.
And as part of efforts to standardise and promote inclusivity and sign language in the country, Ghana has developed a harmonised sign language dictionary for deaf teachers and learners.
A sign language dictionary is a resource that provides definitions, illustrations, or video demonstrations of signs used in a specific sign language.
The dictionary, she stated, will serve as a reference for both deaf and hearing individuals to learn and understand the meanings and hand gestures associated with words, phrases, or concepts in sign language.
By Jemima Esinam Kuatsinu
News
Tain residents in shock as husband allegedly kills wife, commits suicide
Residents of Brodi, a farming community in the Tain District of the Bono Region, have been left in shock and mourning following the alleged murder of a 45-year-old woman by her husband, who later died by suicide.
According to information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the suspect, popularly known as Kwabena Jack, believed to be in his 50s, allegedly attacked and killed his wife, Abena Donkor, while the couple were working on their farm on Monday, August 11, 2026.
Mr Kingsley Obah, Assembly Member for the Brodi Electoral Area, confirmed the incident to the GNA.
He explained that after news of the woman’s death spread through the community, residents launched a search for the suspect. His lifeless body was later discovered in a nearby bush on Tuesday, August 12, 2026.
Police have since conveyed both bodies to the Tain District Government Hospital, where they have been deposited for preservation and autopsy.
Investigations into the incident are ongoing. -GNA
News
Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.
The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.
Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.
Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.
The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.
Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.
Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.
Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.
After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.
For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.
A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.
According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.
She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.
However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.
The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.
Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.
Continued on page 12
By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu






