Connect with us

News

Eight teachers convicted over 2025 BECE examination malpractice – Education Minister

Published

on

The Minister of Education, Haruna Iddrissu has disclosed that eight teachers and invigilators involved in examination malpractice during the 2025 Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) have been convicted and sentenced.

According to the Minister, the individuals were found guilty of assisting candidates to cheat during the examination.

He said the convicted teachers would also be removed from the payroll of the Ghana Education Service.

Addressing candidates and invigilators during a visit to an examination centre, the Minister expressed concern over the increasing cases of examination malpractice in the country.

Advertisement

He revealed that last year’s malpractice cases affected about 178 candidates, leading to the withholding and cancellation of some examination papers.

“We are particularly concerned about the growing phenomenon of exam malpractices,” he stated.

The Minister advised candidates to avoid any form of cheating, stressing that honesty and integrity are important values that define responsible citizenship and patriotism.

According to him, students must uphold good character to become responsible citizens capable of contributing positively to Ghana’s future.

Advertisement

He warned invigilators and teachers to maintain high professional standards during the examinations.

“To our invigilators, we expect nothing short of the highest standard of integrity,” he said.

The Minister stressed that authorities are determined to protect the credibility of public examinations and would continue to punish persons who engage in malpractice.

“So we mean business,” he added.

Advertisement

He further wished the candidates success in their examinations before touring the examination rooms to inspect conditions at the centre.

By: Jacob Aggrey

Hot!

Sammy Awuku mourns demise of Akuapem North NDC Constituency Secretary Isaac Batsa

Published

on

Member of Parliament for Akuapem North, Sammy Awuku, has expressed deep sorrow following the sudden passing of Isaac Batsa, the constituency secretary for the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC).

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) lawmaker issued a statement on Tuesday reacting to the news, which has shocked the local political community.

Mr.Awuku praised the late NDC secretary for his bipartisan approach to local governance.

He noted that despite their different political affiliations, Batsa consistently rose above party lines to serve the constituency with diligence.

Advertisement

The MP revealed that the news was particularly shocking given that he had last interacted with Batsa just three days prior on Saturday.

Concluding his statement, Sammy Awuku extended his heartfelt condolences to Batsa’s family, the constituency and regional executives, and the entire NDC fraternity, wishing the deceased peaceful eternal rest.

By Edem Mensah-Tsotorme

Advertisement
Continue Reading

News

NPP petitions Diplomatic Corps over arrest of Abronye DC

Published

on

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) has petitioned the Dean of the Diplomatic Corps to intervene in what it describes as the unlawful arrest and detention of the Bono Regional Chairman of the party, Kwame Baffoe, popularly known as Abronye DC.

Speaking during the presentation of the petition, NPP Member of Parliament, Jerry Ahmed Shaib accused the government led by John Dramani Mahama of promoting what he described as a “culture of silence.”

According to him, the continued detention of Abronye DC over a bailable offence was unacceptable and against the principles of justice.

He argued that keeping an accused person in custody until a matter is fully determined was not common practice in democratic states.

Advertisement

“It can only happen in a kangaroo or banana state,” he stated.

Mr. Shaib further alleged that state institutions were being influenced to intimidate political opponents.

He maintained that the criminal libel law had long been repealed in Ghana and questioned why individuals were allegedly being targeted over comments on national issues.

According to him, citizens should not be arrested simply for expressing views, including claims that power outages, popularly known as “dumsor,” had returned.

Advertisement

The lawmaker also accused the presiding judge in the matter of showing bias and claimed the court had failed to indicate when Abronye DC would reappear or be released.

He explained that the NPP deliberately chose a peaceful approach in presenting the petition to the diplomatic community instead of organising demonstrations.

Mr. Shaib noted that the delegation was acting on the instructions of the party leadership, including the Minority Leader, the General Secretary, the National Organiser, and former Vice President Mahamudu Bawumia.

He called on the diplomatic community and ambassadors in the country to engage the Ghanaian authorities and ensure that justice and human rights were upheld.

Advertisement

By: Jacob Aggrey

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending