News
‘No-one to blame’ for death of schoolboy Hamdan Aslam

- /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 27
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/f4e9d05c-6dd7-47a9-b064-0fdac24b9bb7.jpeg&description=‘No-one to blame’ for death of schoolboy Hamdan Aslam', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
- Share
- Tweet /home/u249204778/domains/spectator.com.gh/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mvp-social-buttons/mvp-social-buttons.php on line 72
https://spectator.com.gh/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/f4e9d05c-6dd7-47a9-b064-0fdac24b9bb7.jpeg&description=‘No-one to blame’ for death of schoolboy Hamdan Aslam', 'pinterestShare', 'width=750,height=350'); return false;" title="Pin This Post">
A 14-year-old who collapsed in the grounds of a West Lothian school died from natural causes, police have confirmed.
Schoolboy Hamdan Aslam died in hospital after becoming unwell at St Kentigern’s Academy in Blackburn on Tuesday.
His family said Hamdan, from Harthill, had a pre-existing heart condition that had never been detected.
They said his death could have happened at any time and no-one was to blame for the death of their “beautiful boy”.
“We want to assure Hamdan’s friends and our community that this was an entirely natural death and could not have been predicted,” the family said in a statement released by their lawyer Aamer Anwar.
Emergency services were called to the school when the S3 pupil collapsed on the school grounds during a lunch break. He was taken to hospital but died shortly afterwards.
A post-mortem examination carried out on Thursday confirmed that Hamdan died from natural causes, Police Scotland said.
There had been widespread rumour and speculation online and in newspapers about the cause of his death.
Hamdan’s family urged people to put a stop to the rumours which they said were compounding their grief.
They said: “We know that Hamdan’s loss is being deeply felt by his friends and teachers and we would urge those who have engaged in rumours on social media to stop. It is untruthful and compounding our grief.
“Please take down the posts, the running commentary is unhelpful to the children, teachers and our family who have been left deeply traumatised and devastated.
“We know that Hamdan’s teachers and friends did everything possible to save his life and for that our family will forever be grateful to them.”
As with any sudden death, a report has been sent to the procurator fiscal.
Police Scotland Ch Insp Jocelyn O’Connor said: “This has been a tragic incident which has deeply affected everyone at the school. Our thoughts remain with Hamdan’s family and friends at this very difficult time and we are providing our support to them.
“They have requested privacy and I would ask their wishes are respected.”
Head teacher Andrew Sharkey said the school community had been devastated by the death of a “bright and diligent young man”.
“Hamdan was an exemplary student and he will be hugely missed by the St Kentigern’s community,” he said.
“He was very friendly, popular with his classmates and he had a close group of friends. He was always polite and well-mannered in class and popular with his teachers. Hamdan was kind and thoughtful in all he did and he was always happy, with a beautiful smile.”
He added: “Our thoughts and prayers remain with his family and friends at this incredibly difficult time.”
The school – where singers Lewis Capaldi and Susan Boyle are former pupils – has remained open this week and pupils have been offered support.
Local people and pupils left floral tributes and messages outside the school building on Thursday.
On Thursday First Minister Humza Yousaf responded to a question about the tragedy during First Minister’s Questions at Holyrood on Thursday, calling for an end to rumour and speculation around the incident.
He said: “This is the worst tragedy. Anybody who is a parent will know there cannot be a worse fear or nightmare that a parent has than losing a child.”
Bathgate Mosque also paid tribute to Hamdan, saying that his death had “left the community devastated”.
Source: BBC
News
Tain residents in shock as husband allegedly kills wife, commits suicide
Residents of Brodi, a farming community in the Tain District of the Bono Region, have been left in shock and mourning following the alleged murder of a 45-year-old woman by her husband, who later died by suicide.
According to information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the suspect, popularly known as Kwabena Jack, believed to be in his 50s, allegedly attacked and killed his wife, Abena Donkor, while the couple were working on their farm on Monday, August 11, 2026.
Mr Kingsley Obah, Assembly Member for the Brodi Electoral Area, confirmed the incident to the GNA.
He explained that after news of the woman’s death spread through the community, residents launched a search for the suspect. His lifeless body was later discovered in a nearby bush on Tuesday, August 12, 2026.
Police have since conveyed both bodies to the Tain District Government Hospital, where they have been deposited for preservation and autopsy.
Investigations into the incident are ongoing. -GNA
News
Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.
The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.
Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.
Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.
The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.
Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.
Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.
Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.
After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.
For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.
A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.
According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.
She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.
However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.
The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.
Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.
Continued on page 12
By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu




