Connect with us

News

Greater Accra Regional Minister hails Nationwide Cleanup exercise

Published

on

The Greater Accra Regional Minister, Mrs Linda Obenewaa Akweley Ocloo, expressed satisfaction with the outcome of the two-day nationwide cleanup exercise, describing it as a major step towards tackling flooding and poor sanitation, while warning that authorities would clamp down on persons who continued to pollute the environment and obstruct waterways.

The Minister made the remarks after touring some of the region’s worst flood-affected communities, including Nungua, Alajo, Tse Addo and Apenkwa on Friday, and Alajo, Madina and Abelemkpe on Saturday, to assess the progress of the nationwide sanitation campaign.

She said the exercise had significantly improved the condition of drains and waterways in the affected communities and demonstrated what could be achieved when government institutions and residents worked together towards a common goal.

Mrs Ocloo commended the Ghana Armed Forces, the Ghana Police Service, the Ghana National Fire Service, the Ghana Immigration Service, the National Cleanup Assistance Trust, Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs), sanitation workers, volunteers and residents for their commitment and support throughout the exercise.

She said their collective efforts had contributed immensely to the successful removal of refuse, silt and other materials that had blocked drains and increased the risk of flooding in many parts of the region.

Advertisement

The Minister noted that the quantity of waste removed from drains and waterways had exceeded the expectations of the organisers, describing the situation as a reminder of the need for residents to adopt responsible waste disposal practices.

Mrs Ocloo stressed that environmental sanitation remained a shared responsibility and should not be left to government or the assemblies alone.

She urged residents to make cleanliness part of their daily lives by properly disposing of refuse, keeping drains free from waste and discouraging practices that degraded the environment.

The Minister cautioned that the Greater Accra Regional Coordinating Council, in collaboration with the MMDAs and the security agencies, would intensify the enforcement of sanitation regulations against individuals and businesses that dumped refuse into drains, built on waterways or engaged in activities that contributed to flooding.

Advertisement

She said authorities would also undertake targeted demolition exercises to remove structures that obstructed the natural flow of water where necessary, adding that such measures were essential to protecting lives and property.

Mrs Ocloo further warned traders and market operators against ignoring directives issued during sanitation exercises, stating that those who defied official instructions in future risked having their goods confiscated.

She disclosed that more than 300 additional trucks had been deployed during the exercise to transport the huge volumes of waste generated after the initial fleet proved inadequate for the scale of work across the region.

The Minister said relief items had already been distributed to all 27 flood-affected districts through the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) and the Ministry of Local Government, Chieftaincy and Religious Affairs, while contingency funds approved by the President had supported ongoing desilting, dredging and other emergency interventions.

Advertisement

Mrs Ocloo assured residents that the Greater Accra Regional Coordinating Council would sustain the clean up campaign through continuous monitoring, public education and stricter enforcement of sanitation laws.

She appealed to residents to maintain the momentum created by the exercise, saying a cleaner, safer and flood-resilient Greater Accra could only be achieved if every citizen accepted responsibility for protecting the environment.

By Enoch Ntiamoah Siaw

Advertisement

News

Tain residents in shock as husband allegedly  kills wife, commits suicide

Published

on

Residents of Brodi, a farming community in the Tain District of the Bono Region, have been left in shock and mourning following the alleged murder of a 45-year-old woman by her husband, who later died by suicide. 

According to information gathered by the Ghana News Agency (GNA), the suspect, popularly known as Kwabena Jack, believed to be in his 50s, allegedly attacked and killed his wife, Abena Donkor, while the couple were working on their farm on Monday, August 11, 2026. 

Mr Kingsley Obah, Assembly Member for the Brodi Electoral Area, confirmed the incident to the GNA. 

He explained that after news of the woman’s  death spread through the community, residents launched a search for the suspect. His lifeless body was later discovered in a nearby bush on Tuesday, August 12, 2026. 

Advertisement

Police have since conveyed both bodies to the Tain District Government Hospital, where they have been deposited for preservation and autopsy. 

Investigations into the incident are ongoing. -GNA 

Continue Reading

News

Chaos at Madina REDCO… Hawkers, preachers take over footbridge

Published

on

Hawkers taken over the pedestrian walkway on the footbridge

Hawkers and roaming preachers have taken over the five-metre high Madina REDCO footbridge and adjoining streets, making it increasingly difficult for pedestrians to use the facility intended to promote safe road crossing.

The traders have virtually turned sections of the footbridge into a marketplace, displaying their wares on the floor using jute sacks, plastic sheets and metal trays, while others have occupied both sides of the walkway with their merchandise.

Foodstuffs such as okro, garden eggs, pepper, onions, dried fish, smoked fish, grains, spices and other groceries are openly sold on the footbridge and along the roadside, forcing pedestrians to weave through the crowded path.

Clothing and fashion accessories including slippers, brassieres, panties, socks, bags and other household items are also displayed for sale, leaving only limited space for commuters to use.

Advertisement

The situation is worsened by the presence of itinerant preachers who position themselves on the footbridge with public address systems to evangelise, drawing crowds to further obstruct pedestrian movement.

Head porters are also seen crossing the highway through the median while carrying heavy loads instead of using the footbridge, exposing themselves to the danger of being knocked down by speeding vehicles.

Also, portions of the footbridge are showing signs of deterioration. Several metal railings are rusted, bent and loosely secured with pieces of wire, raising concerns about the safety of users, especially children, the elderly and persons with disabilities.

Sections of the concrete surface are worn and chipped, while makeshift wooden supports attached to parts of the structure suggest temporary repairs.

Advertisement

After a visit by The Spectator last week, it emerged that many commuters preferred crossing the busy Madina Highway instead of using the footbridge because of the congestion created by the trading and preaching activities.

For years, successive attempts by the police, the military and the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly to address congestion around the REDCO and Zongo Junction enclave have yielded little success, with the area becoming notorious for roadside trading, indiscriminate parking and pedestrians refusing to use the footbridge.

A pedestrian, who gave her name only as Maame Yaa, described the situation as worrying, saying the footbridge, which was constructed to protect lives, had gradually lost its purpose because of the growing encroachment by traders and preachers.

According to her, many pedestrians were discouraged from using the facility because navigating through the crowded walkway had become difficult and uncomfortable.

Advertisement

She appealed to the La Nkwantanang Madina Municipal Assembly and other relevant authorities to intensify enforcement to prevent unauthorised trading and other activities on the footbridge and ensure it served its intended purpose of promoting pedestrian safety.

However, during the visit, personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were seen carrying out a decongestion exercise to remove hawkers from sections of the roadside around the footbridge as part of efforts to improve public safety and ease the movement of both pedestrians and motorists.

The exercise forms part of a pilot project initiated by the Municipal Fire Commander for Madina, Division Officer II (DO II) Abdul Salia, who assumed command of the Madina Municipal Fire Station three months ago.

Speaking in an interview with The Spectator, DO II  Abdulai Salia, who is also a long time resident of the community, said the month long project began on July 1 and ended on July 31, with 30 firefighters deployed daily to regulate traffic, clear hawkers from the streets and footbridge, and create access for emergency vehicles.

Advertisement

Continued on page 12

By Esinam Jemima Kuatsinu

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending