News
Communications Ministry dismisses claims of financial misconduct against Sam George

The Ministry of Communication, Digital Technology and Innovations has denied claims circulating on social media that the sector minister, Samuel Nartey George, has misused public funds.
In a statement issued to media houses, the Ministry explained that the document being shared online was part of an official request seeking Commitment Authorisation from the Ministry of Finance in line with public financial management and procurement procedures.
According to the Ministry, the request was based on budgetary allocations approved by Parliament for the 2026 fiscal year and covered planned projects, operational activities and programme interventions to be carried out within the year.
It stressed that the request has not yet received approval from the Ministry of Finance.
The Ministry therefore clarified that no funds have been released, disbursed or spent in relation to the items captured in the circulating document.
It described claims suggesting that public funds had already been squandered as “inaccurate, misleading and devoid of context.”
The statement urged the public to treat the allegations with caution and disregard what it described as false interpretations of the document.
The Ministry further reaffirmed its commitment to transparency, accountability and strict adherence to public financial management regulations in the execution of its duties.
By: Jacob Aggrey
Hot!
Attorney General charges Chairman Wontumi and two others over alleged GH¢18.7 million Ghana Exim Bank fraud

The Office of the Attorney General has charged Bernard Antwi-Boasiako, popularly known as Chairman Wontumi, and two others over the alleged fraudulent acquisition of funds from the Ghana Export-Import Bank for a farming project.
The charges were brought against Chairman Wontumi, Thomas Antwi-Boasiako, who is currently at large, and Wontumi Farms Limited.
According to court documents released by the Attorney General’s office, Chairman Wontumi, identified as the first accused person, allegedly approached the Ghana Exim Bank in January 2018 for financial support to undertake a large-scale farming project.
The prosecution said he applied for a GH¢19 million facility on behalf of Wontumi Farms Limited and claimed that the company had secured a 100,000-acre parcel of land for the proposed farming venture.
The Attorney General alleged that documents submitted together with the application contained false information.
According to the prosecution, one of the documents presented as a board resolution letter was dated January 23, 2018, but referred to a board resolution supposedly passed on December 9, 2017, four days before the company was officially incorporated on December 14, 2017.
The prosecution further stated that the accused persons also submitted a project proposal claiming that 2,500 hectares of the proposed farm would employ about 6,000 families, representing nearly 38,000 individuals.
Court documents indicate that the Ghana Exim Bank later approved an GH¢18.7 million facility made up of loans and grants for the project.
The facility was reportedly intended for the purchase of agricultural machinery, working capital, staff costs and consultancy services.
According to investigators, the bank disbursed more than GH¢14.3 million to the company between January and March 2018.
However, investigations by the Economic and Organised Crime Office of the Attorney General allegedly found that the proposed farming activities were never carried out.
The prosecution said the accused persons neither purchased the agricultural machinery nor secured the land they claimed to own for the project.
Investigators also alleged that Chairman Wontumi later submitted a document to the bank as proof that the company had purchased agricultural machinery worth GH¢4 million.
However, investigations reportedly established that the document was originally a pro-forma invoice from KAS-SAMA Enterprise and not an actual receipt.
According to the Attorney General’s office, the inscription “Pro-forma Invoice” was allegedly altered and replaced with the word “Receipt” before it was submitted to the bank.
The prosecution further alleged that Chairman Wontumi withdrew large sums from the company’s accounts and used the funds for personal expenses and investments in other businesses.
The Attorney General stated that attempts by the bank to recover the money were unsuccessful.
The Economic and Organised Crime Office reportedly began investigations into the matter in March 2025.
Chairman Wontumi was later arrested, cautioned and officially charged on May 14, 2026.
By: Jacob Aggrey
Hot!
Ebola Outbreak: Ghana has not recorded any suspected or confirmed case- MOH assures public

The Ministry of Health has assured the public that Ghana has not recorded any suspected or confirmed case of Ebola Virus Disease despite recent outbreaks reported in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
In a public alert issued on May 18, the Ministry disclosed that confirmed and suspected Ebola cases had recently been recorded in the two African countries, according to updates from the World Health Organization and the Africa CDC.
The Ministry noted that it is working closely with international health partners to strengthen Ghana’s preparedness and response systems across the country.
According to the statement, authorities have activated several precautionary measures, including enhanced surveillance and screening at airports, seaports and land borders.
It added that health officials are also increasing monitoring of travellers arriving from affected countries while health workers are being trained and equipped to identify, isolate and manage suspected cases safely.
The Ministry further disclosed that public health emergency coordination systems and rapid response teams have been activated to respond quickly if necessary.
It indicated that public education and community awareness campaigns have been intensified to keep citizens informed about the disease and preventive measures.
The Ministry explained that Ebola Virus Disease is a severe viral illness spread through direct contact with the bodily fluids of infected persons or contaminated materials and surfaces.
It stated that symptoms may include fever, weakness, headache, vomiting, diarrhoea and, in severe cases, bleeding.
The public has therefore been advised to wash their hands regularly with soap under running water or use alcohol based hand sanitizers.
The Ministry urged Ghanaians to avoid direct contact with bodily fluids of sick persons and to avoid handling dead bodies without proper protection.
Additionally, it cautioned against handling or eating sick or dead wild animals and advised the public to ensure that all meat is properly handled and thoroughly cooked before consumption.
The statement encouraged persons experiencing suspected symptoms to report immediately to the nearest health facility.
The Ministry appealed to the public to avoid spreading misinformation and rely only on official updates from the Ministry of Health and the Ghana Health Service.
By: Jacob Aggrey
News6 days agoGhana’s Chris Koney participates in high-level dialogue at Africa Forward Summit 2026
Features6 days agoFix It Fast or Lose Them Forever: The Ever-Rising Importance of Service Recovery in Competitive Industries
News6 days agoDome Kwabenya MP pays hospital bills of constituent; renovates her home to modern standard








