News
GRATIS Foundation takes charge of rural tech centres from Govt

The Minister of Trade, Agribusiness and Industry, Mrs Elizabeth Ofosu-Adjare, has reaffirmed government’s commitment to promoting the adoption of appropriate technologies to accelerate national transformation and industrial development.
Delivering a speech on her behalf at the handing over of 31 Technology Solution Centres (TSCs) in Elmina, Deputy Minister Samson Ahi said technological support in equipment repairs, spare parts fabrication, and maintenance remains critical for successful industrialisation.
The 31 centres, established under the Rural Enterprises Programme (REP), were officially handed over to the GRATIS Foundation, which will operate and supervise their activities. The centres, located in various districts, aim to reduce machinery downtime and revenue losses while enhancing productivity and efficiency.
Mrs Ofosu-Adjare said the handover reflects a continued national development strategy anchored on technology and a shift toward agribusiness, industrialisation, and technical training. She noted that GRATIS Foundation’s role is pivotal in offering responsive technology support to strengthen district-level manufacturing.
She highlighted government’s ongoing retooling of GRATIS Foundation’s engineering workshop, including the installation of a state-of-the-art Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machine for precision engineering and advanced manufacturing. “GRATIS is gradually becoming Ghana’s national centre of excellence for technical innovation, rural industrialisation, and skills development,” she added.
The Chief Executive Officer of GRATIS Foundation, Dr Isaac Adaebsah, underscored the importance of the centres in supporting Ghana’s industrialisation efforts at the district level. He said the facilities will benefit thousands of artisans, fabricators, machine operators, and young entrepreneurs by offering affordable fabrication services, appropriate technologies, and business-enhancing training.
Central Regional Minister, Eduamoah Ekow Panyin Okyere, also speaking at the event, called for stronger collaboration between academia and industry to drive technological innovation. He raised concerns about financial barriers limiting farmers’ access to modern technologies and appealed for government intervention to make the centres’ innova
FROM DAVID O. YARBOI-TETTEH, ELMINA
News
2,000 Blue Water Guards to be trained by the end of the year – Lands Minister

The Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, Emanuel Armah Kofi Buah has announced that government is on course to train 2,000 Blue Water Guards by the close of 2025 to help protect the country’s rivers and water bodies from the impact of illegal mining.
During his presentation at the Government Accountability Series held at the Jubilee House, the minister, Emmanuel Armah Kofi Buah, explained that the Blue Water Initiative remains a key strategy in government’s fight against environmental destruction caused by galamsey.
The Government Accountability Series is an initiative by the Ministry of Information, in collaboration with civil society organisations, aimed at keeping public officials accountable to the people they serve.
Mr. Kofi Buah noted that over 450 Blue Water Guards had already completed training and were actively working in various parts of the country.
He revealed that a second group of 530 personnel is expected to graduate on Friday, July 25.
“These officers are not armed but are trained to act as environmental intelligence agents. Their job is to monitor activities, engage communities, and promote awareness about the dangers of illegal mining and the need to protect our natural resources” he stated.
He highlighted that the presence of the guards is already having a positive impact in some mining areas, with residents becoming more aware of the importance of clean water and sustainable practices.
The minister revealed that the second phase of the Blue Water Initiative will focus on restoring polluted rivers by removing harmful chemicals and returning water bodies to their natural state.
“Feasibility studies for this phase are currently underway,” he remarked.
Mr. Buah reaffirmed the government’s commitment to safeguarding the environment and ensuring a more sustainable future for all Ghanaians.
By Jacob Aggrey
News
All 9 red “Galamsey” forest zones repossessed – Lands Minister

The Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, Emmanuel Armah Kofi Buah, has revealed that all nine forest reserves previously taken over by illegal miners have now been repossessed by the state.
Speaking at the Government Accountability Series held at the Jubilee House, the minister explained that the red zone forests were once controlled by heavily armed groups, making it dangerous for forest guards and officials to enter.
Mr. Kofi Buah said that through strong collaboration with the security services, the Forestry Commission has been able to take back full control of the affected reserves.
“I’m happy to report that today, the Forestry Commission has successfully taken back all nine red zone forest reserves. Our guards can now move freely in and out of these forests and receive support when needed,” he stated.
He added that although the threat of illegal mining still exists, the repossession marks a major victory in the country’s fight to protect its forests and natural resources.
The minister also highlighted the challenge of deforestation, which he said continues to be driven by illegal mining, logging, wildfires, and unsafe farming practices.
He disclosed that over 5,500 hectares of forest lands, an area larger than 7,500 football fields had been destroyed in just one year.
Despite the challenges, Mr. Buah assured the public that government remains committed to restoring degraded forest areas and strengthening enforcement to prevent future destruction.
The Government Accountability Series is an initiative by the Ministry of Information, in partnership with civil society organisations, to keep public officials accountable to the people they serve.